- What Is Best Cat Treat For Bad Breath?
- 3 Benefits of Using Cat Treats for Bad Breath
- Tips for Fighting Bad Cat Breath
- 5 Components to Look for in Cat Treats for Bad Breath
- Overall Best Cat Treats for Bad Breath in 2020
- 4 More Top Cat Treats for Bad Breath
- Frequently Asked Questions
You might think that all dental cat treats freshen breath, but unfortunately that’s not the case. While cat dental chews generally clean teeth and promote good oral hygiene, they won’t always be effective in getting rid of stinky cat breath. If you need to add some freshness to your kitty’s breath to make cuddling more enjoyable, you will need a treat that is made for such.
Cat treats that fight bad breath can be different than regular dental treats, so we’ve put together a guide to help you choose the best one for your cat. We have a variety of recommendations that we’re confident will help freshen your kitty’s breath. We also share some tips for fighting bad cat breath. Let’s get started!
What Is Best Cat Treat For Bad Breath?
- Virbac C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Poultry Flavor Cat Chews
- Ark Naturals Brushless Toothpaste Mini Dental Cat Chews
- Prime Taste Treats Dental Choice Chicken Flavor Cat Treats
- VetriScience Perio Plus Everyday Health Feline Bites Dental Cat Treats
- Greenies Feline Catnip Flavor Dental Cat Treats
- DentaLife Tasty Chicken Flavor Dental Cat Treats
- ProDen PlaqueOff Dental Bites Cat Treats
3 Benefits of Using Cat Treats for Bad Breath
Cat dental treats often do more than alleviate bad breath. As long as you are giving your cat their dental chews as directed, they can be entirely beneficial.
- No one likes stinky breath: Snuggles from your feline friend are the absolute best. But if your cat has bad breath, your cuddle session may be cut short. Cat treats for bad breath will make your snuggles much more enjoyable.
- Promote good dental hygiene: When your cat’s breath doesn’t smell, they probably have decent oral health. The best way to stay ahead of dental issues is to actively prevent them. Cat dental treats will support strong teeth while reducing plaque and tartar.
- Add excitement to your cat’s day: Cat treats are a terrific way to add some flavor and delight to your kitty’s day. Offering treats can be a fun bonding experience, or you can use them as a reward for training!
Tips for Fighting Bad Cat Breath
Nothing is worse than trying to snuggle with your kitty when all of a sudden you get a whiff of their rancid breath. While bad breath can be a sign of periodontal disease, there are some easy ways that you can help prevent and fight it.
Another great way to combat bad kitty breath is to use a quality water additive. Water additives for dental health are tasteless, and you can simply add a bit to your cat’s water bowl. These special formulas offer an effortless way to fight plaque and freshen breath.
Of course dental chews are a good option for supplementing your cat’s regular dental cleaning routine. They are a tasty way to promote good oral hygiene on a daily basis. Treats also add excitement and change to your cat’s everyday routine.
It’s especially important as your cat gets older to take them into the vet for a thorough teeth cleaning. Sometimes bad breath can be a sign of a more serious dental issue, and you’ll want to address it immediately to make sure your kitty isn’t in pain.
5 Components to Look for in Cat Treats for Bad Breath
While cat treats for bad breath generally take care of the same issues, not every treat is manufactured equally. Look into these components when you pick out the best dental treat for your kitty:
- Accepted by the VOHC: The VOHC is the Veterinary Oral Health Council. Many cat dental treats have received a seal of approval for VOHC. However, just because a certain treat has not been accepted by the VOHC, doesn’t mean it won’t be effective for your cat. Some cat parents like knowing that treats have a VOHC acceptance, but it comes down to your personal preference.
- Shape and texture: Most cat treats for bad breath have a unique shape which helps effectively scrap plaque and tartar off the teeth. Some treats are larger and more abrasive than others, so you’ll want to consider your cat’s current oral health condition when choosing the best treats. Large, rough-textured treats may be more difficult to cats with sensitive teeth to chew.
- Ingredients to be aware of: If your cat has food allergies, it’s important that you check the ingredients list before picking out treats for your cat’s bad breath. Grain allergies are fairly common, in which case you will want a grain-free dental treat.
- Helpful ingredients: On the other hand, there are several helpful ingredients that will promote your cat’s overall health and oral hygiene. These include calcium, taurine, zinc and vitamin B.
- Multi-pet use: Some of the dental treats on our list of recommendations are appropriate for both cats and dogs. Administering the same treat to your cats and dogs is convenient and it saves money. Just make sure that the treat you choose is suitable for feline and canine friends before offering them to all of your pets.
Overall Best Cat Treats for Bad Breath in 2020
|Our 2020 Picks: Best Cat Treats for Bad Breath|
|Virbac C.E.T. Oral Hygiene Poultry Flavor Cat Chews||CHECK PRICE|
|Ark Naturals Brushless Toothpaste Mini Dental Cat Chews||CHECK PRICE|
|Prime Taste Treats Dental Choice Chicken Flavor Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|VetriScience Perio Plus Everyday Health Feline Bites Dental Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Greenies Feline Catnip Flavor Dental Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|DentaLife Tasty Chicken Flavor Dental Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|ProDen PlaqueOff Dental Bites Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
- Clinically proven to improve oral health
- Dual-enzyme system helps remove bacteria and freshen breath
- Abrasive texture to remove plaque and tartar
- Made with freeze-dried chicken
Overall Best Cat Treats for Bad Breath – These tasty cat treats are clinically proven to help improve your cat’s overall dental health. The texture of these freeze-dried treats help loosen up plaque and tartar to clean teeth. The treats can be fed daily, and they will assist in freshening your kitty’s breath between brushings. The irresistible chicken flavor will entice your cat to make dental care a yummy experience.
Virbac cat treats for bad breath are made with a dual-enzyme system. This innovative formula acts as a natural antiseptic to effectively eliminate harmful bacteria which can cause bad breath and periodontal disease. The ingredient list on these cat treats is limited, so they may be appropriate for cats with food allergies and sensitive stomachs.
- Clinically proven to fresh breath and clean teeth
- Dual-enzyme system removes harmful bacteria and freshens breath
- Enticing chicken flavor
- Abrasive texture and unique shape effectively cleans teeth
- These treats are the most expensive on our list.
- Veterinarian recommended
- Safe for cats and dogs
- Made with a patented toothpaste center
- Grain and gluten-free
Runner-Up Best Cat Treats for Bad Breath – Brushing your cat’s teeth can be difficult, so get a little help from these Ark Naturals cat chews! These treats will fight your cat’s bad breath via a blend of clove, cinnamon, alfalfa and vanilla. Any don’t worry – these cat treats for bad breath are gluten and grain-free so no cat will be left out. Even dogs can take advantage of these dental treats, as they are suitable for our canine and feline friends over 12 weeks old.
What makes Ark Naturals cat dental chews unique is the patented toothpaste center. It’s designed to fight plaque and tartar on your cat’s teeth, while the abrasive exterior works to scrub dirty teeth clean. Ark Naturals are formulated and developed by veterinarians, and they are made in the USA. For any cat with bad breath, we highly recommend giving these a try! Many pet parents report that they are extremely effective in freshening stinky kitty breath.
- Developed, formulated and recommended by veterinarians
- Patented toothpaste center freshens breath while fighting plaque
- Exterior scrubs plaque and tartar off your cat’s teeth
- Suitable for cats and dogs
- Grain and gluten-free
- Only one size package is available for purchase.
- Freshens breath with natural ingredients
- Made in the USA
- Available in chicken and tuna flavors
- Normal chewing action helps remove plaque and tartar
Best Budget-Friendly Cat Treats for Bad Breath – Prime Taste Treats are an affordable, delicious reward for cats with bad breath. Safe, natural ingredients actively freshen breath. Regular chewing action of these crunchy cat treats helps to remove plaque and tartar, a process which will also keep your cat’s breath smelling delightful. These particular treats boast a yummy chicken flavor, but they are also available in tuna.
For cats with bad breath, these dental treats will be a nutritious addition to a daily routine. They can be given as a reward for training or a snack for some lovely bonding time. Prime Taste Treats are made in the USA to ensure top notch quality. Cat parents report that this treats are good for finicky eaters due to the immense flavor, and the size is perfect for chewing.
- Safe, natural ingredients freshen breath
- Made in the USA
- Chicken and tuna flavors available
- Crunch texture helps remove plaque and tartar from your cat’s teeth
- The 2.1oz bag is the only package option available.
4 More Top Cat Treats for Bad Breath
These bite-sized cat treats for bad breath are made with two layers for ultimate dental health care. The outer layer works to promote plaque control, fresh breath and teeth cleansing. The inner layer supports integrity of the gums and overall dental health. This dual-action system was created to effectively keep your cat’s pearly whites clean and their breath smelling fresh between brushings. VetriScience dental cat treats contain zinc and taurine to support gum health. The treats do contain a large amount of calories – 7 calories per treat – so it’s crucial to only administer them as directed.
Greenies are a trusted brand name and treat in the pet-loving community. Although we absolutely love Greenies for promoting good dental health, they aren’t the most effective in freshening breath if your kitty has incredibly stinky breath. We love Greenies for cleaning teeth with their formula of essential vitamins and minerals. The unique shape of the morsels will scrape plaque and tartar off the teeth, making them a delicious, low-calorie snack to help support overall health and wellbeing. Greenies dental cat treats come in a variety of exciting flavors that your kitty will love.
We recommend DentaLife treats for cats with bad breath because they boast a round, porous texture that cleans the entire tooth when penetrated. The round shape surrounds the tooth, reducing plaque and tartar buildup. These tasty chicken cat treats are formulated with calcium and taurine to support strong, healthy teeth. DentaLife cat dental treats are accepted by the VOHC, and they’ve been scientifically proven to reduce tartar buildup. We like that you can buy these treats in a large canister, which is a helpful benefit when you have a large kitty crew at home. Plus, they are very affordable!
ProDen cat dental treats are a 100% natural snack that support your kitty’s dental hygiene. These mini rewards are packed full with ingredients such as olive oil and seaweed to freshen your cat’s bad breath. They also contain a blend of iron, magnesium and a plethora of vitamins to fight tartar build up and promote shiny, healthy teeth. These cat treats for bad breath are gluten-free and they don’t contain any additives or artificial preservatives. If you have canine companions in your home, these treats are also suitable for them! With ProDen dental bites, you should start seeing positive results within a few weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I get rid of my cat’s bad breath? There are several effective means of freshening your cat’s breath. The best way is going to be brushing your cat’s teeth. Nothing will clean teeth better than good old fashioned brush and toothpaste. Other ways you can get rid of your cat’s bad breath include using dental toys and chews, adding a dental formula to their water and getting regular veterinary teeth cleanings.
- What can you give cats for bad breath? You can give your cats dental treats that are specifically formulated to reduce and eliminate bad breath. You may also want to try giving them a safe dental chew toy. Another option is to use a dental-specific water additive. It’s a good idea to consult your veterinarian if your cat has super stinky breath. It could be a sign of a more serious issue.
- Why is my cat’s breath so stinky? A cat’s bad breath can be caused by a variety of issues. The most common is periodontal disease. Other causes of bad breath could be poor diet or a skin-related issue. A veterinarian will be able to put together an individualized dental hygiene plan for your kitty’s specific needs.
If you don’t like your cat’s bad breath, chances are they don’t either. Your beloved feline friend deserves to be feeling and smelling their best. Remember to consult your veterinarian with specific questions about your cat’s dental health.