- What is Best Cat Litter Mat?
- 4 Benefits of Using a Cat Litter Mat
- How to Keep Your Cat’s Litter Box Area Smelling and Looking Fresh
- 5 Components to Consider When Choosing a Cat Litter Mat
- Overall Best Cat Litter Mats
- More Top Cat Litter Mats
- Frequently Asked Questions
Tired of constantly finding random cat litter on your floors or furniture? Not only can it be a pain to clean up, but litter can also harbor potentially dangerous bacteria. Litter mats are made to keep litter in one place after your cat is done using their box. It’s essential in every cat-loving home.
We’ve put together a guide to choosing the most appropriate cat litter mat for your home and kitties. Litter mats seem simple, but there are a plethora of features to consider when making your purchase. We share our research with you, and offer 7 fantastic cat litter mat recommendations.
What is Best Cat Litter Mat?
4 Benefits of Using a Cat Litter Mat
A mat will keep cat litter contained to one area, but there are a few other noteworthy benefits:
- Waste less litter: Whether you have one cat or several, you probably know what it’s like to clean up way too much litter from the floor. Using a mat will contain excess cat litter so it can be poured directly back into the kitty box. The less litter you’re wasting, the more money you’re saving!
- Prevent bacteria from being spread throughout your home: Cat feces can potentially contain harmful bacteria which is easily spread to humans. When litter stays where it should instead of being tracked around your home, it’s less likely that bacteria will end up in unwanted places.
- Easy cleanup for cat parents: Cleaning the litter box is a daily task, and having to sweep up stray litter just takes more time and energy. By taking advantage of a cat litter mat, you’re reducing the amount of cleanup you’ll need to tackle.
- Contains other messes: If your cat is prone to missing the litter box when they do their business, a mat will keep those messes contained so they can quickly and effectively be cleaned up.
How to Keep Your Cat’s Litter Box Area Smelling and Looking Fresh
The last thing you want is for guests to walk into your home only to be greeted by a nasty cat litter or urine smell. Keeping your cat’s litter box and surrounding area clean is the best way to avoid lingering odors. Follow these tips to maintain a delightfully smelling home:
- Scoop your cat’s litter box at least once a day. If you have multiple cats you will probably want to scoop at least twice a day.
- Completely replace the litter every two weeks and disinfect the box.
- Use a litter mat that will effectively trap litter so you can easily clean it every day if necessary.
- Use a higher-quality cat litter that will control odors.
- Clean the area surrounding your cat’s litter box once a week.
5 Components to Consider When Choosing a Cat Litter Mat
Cat litter mats may be a fairly basic essential product, but there’s much more to them than meets the eye. If you’re not sure of your different options, take a minute to consider the following components:
- The granule size of your cat’s litter: There are different types of litter including small clay granules, paper pellets or medium sized wood grains. When deciding on the best litter mat for your home, be sure it will properly contain the type of litter than you use.
- Resistance to scratching: If your cat likes to dig or scratch at the surface outside their box, you’ll want to make sure the mat you choose is made from a durable material such as rubber or silicone.
- Size of the mat: The size cat litter mat you choose will depend on how much space you have to lay one down. You’ll also want to consider the size of your cat’s litter box. Foam mats can easily be cut to fit your desired dimensions.
- Cleaning and maintenance: A litter mat which can be easily cleaned is a must-have for cat parents, especially if you have a large feline crew. Some mats can be washed in a machine, while others require vacuuming or sweeping.
- Color and design: Cat litter mats aren’t fancy by any means, and they typically come available in neutral colors. However, there are mats that feature bright colors and designs. What you choose is completely up to your preferences.
Overall Best Cat Litter Mats
|Our 2021 Picks: Best Cat Litter Mats|
|IPrimio Cat Litter Trapper EZ Clean Mat
|Imperial Cat Heavy Duty Cat Litter Mat
|Fresh Kitty Jumbo Foam Chevron Cat Litter Mat
|Pet Magasin Cat Litter Mats – 2 Pack
|PetFusion ToughGrip Gray Cat Litter Mat
|Dog Gone Smart Cat Litter Mat
|Petlinks Purrfect Paws Gray Cat Litter Mat
- Available in two sizes and colors
- Two layers work together to trap litter
- Dump excess litter back into the box or trash without fail
- Water-repellent pad and plastic bottom to deter odors
Overall Best Cat Litter Mat – The iPrimio cat litter mat takes the stop spot on our list because of its effective design. The mat is built with two layers. The top layer consists of honeycomb shaped openings to trap excess litter from your cat’s paws. As the litter becomes trapped on the bottom layer, you can then pull back the top to dump the extra litter out. The mat is water-repellent and easy to rinse or wipe off for maintenance.
Although this cat litter mat is easy to clean, some cats are prone to making bigger messes than others. For additional freshness, simply slip a puppy pad between the mat’s layers. The pad will absorb any liquid that your kitty may track on to the mat. When necessary pull out the pad, toss it away and slide a new one in for effortless cleanup. This cat litter mat comes in two large sizes that will cover a considerable amount of space. It’s also available in two neutral colors.
- Large honeycomb openings effectively trap litter
- Two layers allow you to pour excess litter into the trash or litter box
- Water-repellent and odor resistant
- Available in two sizes and neutral colors to match your home
- This cat litter mat is one of the more expensive options on our list
- Made from durable, marine-grade vinyl
- Repels liquid
- Grass-like texture is soft on paws
- Large size provides ample floor coverage
Runner-Up Best Cat Litter Mat – This cat litter mat may look simple but it’s built to be high-quality, durable and comfortable for your cat to use. The mat’s surface space is 36×30” as to provide plenty of floor coverage. It’s constructed with a thick, sturdy bottom so litter won’t sift through the mat. The grass-like texture of the mat will be gentle on your cat’s delicate paws but effective in trapping litter.
The Imperial Cat litter mat is made in the USA from durable, high-grade material which will stand up to consistent use and scratching. This mat is easy to clean, as cat parents can shake it out or hose it down and leave it to dry. This premium cat litter mat is sure to keep litter contained so it’s not being tracked throughout your home. It’s available in two colors to best suit your needs.
- Provides plenty of floor coverage to effectively trap any escaping litter
- Easy maintenance
- Gentle on delicate cat paws
- Made in the USA from quality materials
- Sturdy bottom ensures that litter stays contained
- The mat will repel liquid, but it may be difficult to remove odors from the bristle texture.
- The ribbed surface effectively traps litter
- Foam is soft and gentle
- Machine washable
Best Budget-Friendly Cat Litter Mat – This stylish, affordable cat litter mat is fitting for any home with feline friends. The large size will cover an ample amount of floor space, as it measures at 40×25”. The foam material is super soft on any cat’s paws, and it’s even machine washable for convenient cleaning. The ribbed design of this cat litter mat will trap litter and keep it contained in the mat.
The Fresh Kitty jumbo cat litter mat is extremely cost-effective, especially for its size. What’s nice about the foam material is it can be cut to better fit your cat’s litter box area. However, if your cat likes to dig or scratch at their mat, the material will not stand up to sharp kitty claws. This cat litter mat is appropriate for any cat’s litter box area, and for kitties with sensitive paws.
- Can be cut to suit your cat’s litter box area
- Foam material is soft on paws
- Ribbed design will effectively trap litter
- Machine washable
- This mat will likely be destroyed by aggressive scratchers
More Top Cat Litter Mats
This mat is another fantastic affordable option. The mat comes in a 2 pack, which is helpful for multi-cat households. The rubber material will be resistant against your cat’s digging or scratching. The mat is designed to trap litter (or food and water if you want to use it as a placemat), and it can easily be vacuumed clean. You can also rinse it down and leave it to air dry. The Pet Magasin cat litter mat comes in two sizes to best suit your needs.
This cat litter mat is neat because it has raised outer edges to ensure that litter is always staying right where it needs to be – off your floors. Elevated ridges on the mat remove litter from your cats paws so it remains contained. The PetFusion cat litter mat is made of premium FDA grade silicone. It has anti-microbial properties, and it’s resistant to water. The mat has an anti-slip backing so it will always stay in place. We love that this kitty litter mat has a side spout so you can pour unused litter back into the box. When it’s time to clean the mat, sweep or vacuum up the litter, then wipe it down with a sponge.
If your cat will appreciate stepping onto a plusher surface after visiting their box, we suggest the Dog Gone Smart Cat Litter Mat. The microfiber mat is purrfect for sensitive paws, and the wicking power of the microfiber strands will absorb liquid and pull litter off your kitty’s paws. This cat litter mat will fit under a standard size litter box, and it can also be used as a food and water mat. Non-skid backing will keep the mat in place at all times, so it’s always there to catch unwanted litter.
Here we have another affordable cat litter mat with a unique patented design. This flexible mat is built with deep hollows which are meant to spread your cat’s paw pads to collect excess litter. You can then fold the mat and dump the litter into the trash or back into your cat’s box. This innovative kitty litter mat is available in three different sizes, and the modern look is attractive for any home.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is a litter mat safe for cats? Litter mats are safe for cats to use as long as they are constructed with non-toxic materials. You also want to make sure that the material won’t irritate your cat’s paws. If your cat has sensitive skin or paws, you’ll want to take that into consideration when making your purchase.
- How do I clean my cat litter mat? Each litter mat will require a different type of cleaning. Some mats can be cleaned using a vacuum, while others are machine washable. Many cat litter mats can be swept off or shaken, then wiped down with a damp sponge.
- What litter mat should I get if my cat scratches? If your kitty scratches or digs after using their litter box, you’ll want to buy a mat that is made from a durable material. Materials such as foam should be avoided if your cats has been able to tear through other mats in the past.
- How should I place the cat litter mat? You should place your cat’s litter mat under the litter box and in your cat’s exit path so that all four paws step on the mat. You may need to adjust the mat to experiment with placement.
We hope that this guide helped you pick out a great cat litter mat, or at least gave you some excellent options to consider. Remember to always wash your hands after handling your cat’s litter or scooping out their box to avoiding spreading bacteria.