- What is the Best Lightweight Cat Litter?
- 5 Benefits of Using a Lightweight Cat Litter
- What’s the difference between lightweight and standard weight litter?
- 5 Components to Look for in a Lightweight Cat Litter
- 7 Best Lightweight Cat Litters
- 4 More Top Lightweight Kitty Litter Picks
- Frequently Asked Questions
Lightweight cat litter was only introduced into the pet industry within recent years. This type of cat litter has quickly become a household wonder, as lugging heavy containers of cat litter is dreadful for pet parents.
If you know the struggle of becoming out of breath after carrying cat litter into your home, the idea of using a lightweight litter may be attractive.
Believe it or not, there is more to lightweight litter than just the weight of it. There are some notable benefits of using a lightweight litter and we highlight them below. We also have a list of our favorite seven lightweight cat litters, and we’re confident that you and your kitties will love one of our choices!
What is the Best Lightweight Cat Litter?
- Tidy Cats Lightweight Glade Tough Odor Solutions Clumping Cat Litter
- Pretty Litter Health Monitoring Silica Cat Litter – 20% Off w/ code BESTLITTER
- Arm & Hammer Litter Clump & Seal Lightweight Multi-Cat Litter
- Fresh Step Lightweight Extreme Cat Litter
- Cat’s Pride Premium Fresh & Light Multi-Cat Scoopable Cat Litter
- Advance High Performance Lightweight Scoopable Scented Multi-Cat Litter
- Frisco Lightweight Floral Fresh Scent Multi-Cat Clumping Cat Litter – Most Popular
- Ever Clean Lightweight Extra Strength Cat Litter
5 Benefits of Using a Lightweight Cat Litter
When you think of lightweight cat litter, you may only consider the benefit of the actual product weight. Turns out there are other great benefits to consider! Let’s take a look at them:
- Easier to carry and pour: It is amazing how much lighter a true lightweight litter feels. If you pick up a plastic jug of lightweight litter, it almost feels empty. Lightweight kitty litter is easier to transport and carry, and therefore easier to pour. No more straining yourself just to carry cat litter!
- Disposal: Since lightweight litter doesn’t weigh as much as traditional litters, it’s easier to dispose of. If you are discarding litter in the trash, your bags won’t weigh nearly as much!
- Less wasted litter: Lightweight clumping litter creates tight clumps with less litter, meaning you will waste less. This benefit is helpful for your budget and the environment. Landfills are overrun with clay litter every year, so using lightweight litter will help reduce your ecological footprint.
- As good as standard weight litter: There’s no different in ingredients or element makeup between lightweight and standard litter. Lightweight kitty litter simply weighs less. Below we dig deeper into the differences.
- Good for mechanical litter boxes: Lightweight kitty litter granules are small, making them great for sifting or mechanical litter boxes.
Next we weigh the differences between lightweight and normal litter.
What’s the difference between lightweight and standard weight litter?
It would be understandable to assume that lightweight litter has different ingredients than standard weight litter, but it doesn’t. Lightweight litter goes through a unique manufacturing process, which gives it the lighter weight. There’s been speculation on whether or not there’s a harmful material used to create lightweight kitty litter, but that is not true.
5 Components to Look for in a Lightweight Cat Litter
If you’re interested in trying out a lightweight cat litter for your feline family, look into these components before making your purchase.
- Weight reduction: Lightweight cat litters can range anywhere from 25-50% lighter than standard clay. There is a considerably noticeable difference between standard litter and one which weighs 50% less!
- Scent: You can purchase a scented or unscented lightweight kitten litter. You can choose based on preference or your cat’s allergy sensitivities. Some lightweight kitty litters have a very faint scent, which is great if you don’t want anything too overpowering.
- Activated carbon: Some lightweight cat litters have granules which have been infused with properties to destroy bacteria which causes ammonia smell. Carbon granules are activated when they come in contact with moisture, and it’s actually a very helpful and underestimated benefit when it comes to odor control.
- Clumping: You will need to choose a clumping or non-clumping formula, which comes down to every cat parent’s preference. Clumping litter will be easier to scoop and maintain, while non-clumping litter may potentially absorb more moisture and odor.
- Material: The best lightweight kitty litters are clay-based. If you want to avoid using a clay cat litter, a lightweight option may not be available.
It’s time for our lightweight cat litter recommendations!
7 Best Lightweight Cat Litters
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Cat Litters that are Lightweight|
|Tidy Cats Lightweight Glade Tough Odor Solutions Clumping Cat Litter
|PrettyLitter Subscription Cat Litter
|Arm & Hammer Litter Clump & Seal Lightweight Multi-Cat Litter
|Fresh Step Lightweight Extreme Cat Litter
|Cat’s Pride Premium Fresh & Light Multi-Cat Scoopable Cat Litter
|Advance High Performance Lightweight Scoopable Scented Multi-Cat Litter
|Frisco Lightweight Floral Fresh Scent Multi-Cat Clumping Cat Litter
|Ever Clean Lightweight Extra Strength Cat Litter
- Glade Tough Odor Solutions to control odor
- Tidy Lock ammonia blocker
- Eliminates ammonia for 2 weeks guaranteed
- 50% lighter than traditional clay
Overall Best Lightweight Kitty Litter: Glade and Tidy Cats have partnered together to create this great lightweight kitty litter. Glade Tough Odor Solutions works to trap and eliminate odor in your cat’s litter box immediately. Innovative Tidy Lock technology then prevents ammonia odor for up to two weeks! This lightweight cat litter is a clumping formula, making it great for multi-cat homes. Plus, the 99.9% dust free perk is hard to beat!
The fact that this Tidy Cats lightweight litter weighs 50% less than traditional clay litter is huge! Not only is the litter easier for you to lift and replenish, but your cats will be able to dig and move around in the litter more easily. Cleaning and maintaining your cat’s litter box will be easy with this lightweight, clumping formula. The box will also be left smelling fresh with the Clean Blossoms scent.
- Tough odor control
- Forms tight clumps for easy scooping
- Ammonia blocker
- Fresh scent
- Great for multi-cat households
- Works with mechanical litter boxes
- Not eco-friendly
- May become matted in fur of long hair cats
- 20% off with code BESTLITTER
- Changes color to tell you when something is wrong with your cat
- Convenient delivery service
- Reduced dust and mess
- Traps odors and eliminates moisture
Runner-Up Lightweight Kitty Litter: PrettyLitter is unlike any litter you have used before. Not only is it lightweight and environmentally friendly, but its most amazing benefit is that it changes color to alert you to your cat’s health issues. PrettyLitter can detect health issues such as urinary tract infections, bladder stones, inflammation, kidney issues, and more. Cats are notorious for hiding health problems, so PrettyLitter takes out the guess work and tells you what your cat can’t! With a once-a-month convenient delivery service, PrettyLitter costs less than some other typical cat litters and the amount is tailored to suit the number of cats in your home. The super absorbent silica gel traps odors and eliminates moisture and is made from natural minerals, which means less dust and allergens and less litter in the landfill.
- Made from natural minerals
- Detects medical issues
- Less dust and mess
- Convenient delivery service
- Non-clumping can cause tracking
- Subscription service
- 50% lighter
- 7 day odor protection
- Dust free
- Low tracking
Best Dust-Free Lightweight Cat Litter: Arm & Hammer cat litter uses a tried and true method of odor neutralization – baking soda. Mix that with a blend of moisture-activated micro-granules, and you have an effective cat litter. A good choice for multi-cat households, this lightweight kitty litter will lock in moisture and kill odor on contact. This tight clumping cat litter is easy to scoop and manage.
Not only is this Arm & Hammer cat litter lightweight, but the granules are ultra-tiny, creating a super soft feel for your cat’s paws. The micro-granules seal in odor, and they are formulated to control odor for up to seven days. We like that this clay litter is 100% dust free, purrfect for homes stricken by allergies and asthma. It’s also a low-tracking litter, to keep messes to a minimum.
- 50% lighter than the standard option
- 100% dust free
- Low tracking micro-granules
- Good for multiple cats
- Made with baking soda for additional odor control
- Not flushable or biodegradable
- 30% lighter than the standard litter option
- Febreeze eliminates odors
- Carbon traps odors
- Made in the USA
Best Budget-Friendly Lightweight Cat Litter: This lightweight cat litter is 30% lighter than traditional Fresh Step litter. Together with Febreeze, this Fresh Step litter contains activated carbon that will help trap and eliminate tough odors. The Febreeze won’t mask the odors – it will rid the litter box of them altogether. We appreciate the fact this this Fresh Step lightweight litter is cost effective and made in the USA. It’s also a clumping formula so you can scoop the litter box daily with ease.
- Febreeze fights and eliminates odor
- Made in the USA
- 30% lighter
- Works in mechanical litter boxes
- Activated carbon traps odors
- Not environmentally-friendly
4 More Top Lightweight Kitty Litter Picks
This Cat’s Pride lightweight cat litter is highly rated among cat parents. It’s 99% dust free and weighs 25% less than other clay cat litter choices. The litter is made for fast and easy clumping, which makes it a great choice for home with multiple cats. It doesn’t contain any perfumes or dyes, and the small granules are gentle on kitty’s paws. We like that this cat litter is endorsed by the American Humane Society.
This scented clumping cat litter is budget-friendly and designed with odor defense technology. The formula absorbs enzymes which cause odors, and the fresh scent helps create a cleaner smell and feel. This Advance High Performance litter weights 25% less than other choices and it’s virtually dust free. This light cat litter is great for any budget, and it’ll work well in multi-cat households.
This Frisco lightweight cat litter is 100% clay based, but 50% lighter. Liquid and moisture is quickly absorbed into tight clumps for convenient maintenance. The formula is low dust and contains a unique odor control system to combat unpleasant smells. You can purchase this lightweight kitty litter in Floral Fresh Scent or unscented for more sensitive kitties. This cat litter is good for your wallet and your strength, with its considerably lightweight properties.
This lightweight cat litter is last but certainly not least on our list. It’s contains Carbon Plus technology which kills bacteria in your cat’s litter box to prevent nasty ammonia smell. The formula is clumping, and is made from a blend of clay and minerals. The small granules are highly absorbent and they form tight clumps for maximum odor control and easy maintenance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is lightweight cat litter safe? – Yes! The only difference between lightweight and standard weight cat litter is that a lightweight option goes through a unique manufacturing process. It contains the same elements and ingredients as normal weight litter.
- Is there a downside to using lightweight cat litter? – Light cat litter is made up of tiny granules. While it may be softer on your cat’s paws, this type of litter is much more likely to track. The micro-grains can stick to kitty’s paws and fur, causing it to become displaced much more easily. Lightweight cat litter is also known to produce more dust than normal litter, but that depends on the brand, formula and other variables.
- Is lightweight cat litter better? – Lightweight litter is arguably better than normal litter for pet parents because it’s simply easier to carry and pour. However, that benefit comes with a drawback – lightweight cat litter will potentially track more, which means more cleaning. Lightweight litter does tend to clump better than standard weight litter, meaning less litter is wasted. Lightt cat litter can be better than normal litter, but it all comes down to each cat parents’ preferences.
- How often should I change light litter? – Lightweight kitty litter should be cleaned and changed as frequently as standard weight litter. Your cat’s litter should be scooped at least once a day, and completely changed every two weeks or so. If you opt for a non-clumping litter, it may need to be changed out more often.
Cat litter brands have caught on to the fact that kitty parents don’t like huffing and puffing just to carry cat litter into the home. Our cats are worth it, but lightweight cat litter has been a Godsend for many. Lightweight cat litter is generally available in containers from 5-17lbs. To offer a comparison, a 17lb container of Tidy Cats Lightweight kitty Litter would weight 35lbs if it was standard weight. That’s a massive, back-breaking difference!
Lightweight cat litter is going to generally cost more than standard weight litter. While we aren’t completely sure why this is, we’re guessing it’s because the litter goes through a more strenuous manufacturing process. In many cases, the few extra bucks it costs for a container of lightweight kitty litter is going to be worth it when it comes to the physical strength required to lug a massive container of standard litter.
Remember to always keep your cat’s litter box in a ventilated area. This will help both you and your cat avoid inhalation of odor and bacteria. It’s important to hand wash the litter box every couple of weeks when you change out the litter. Just be sure to thoroughly wash your hands after cleaning and handling your kitty’s litter, as harmful bacteria can potentially be spread.