While cat parents can absolutely agree that their health is a top priority, we also live in a world where the Earth needs special protecting.
The fate of the planet is in our hands, just as the lives of our cats are. Luckily there are a tremendous amount of cat litter options on the market today, and many of them are environmentally-friendly.
Flushable cat litters are becoming increasingly popular due to several factors. We outline them below, then offer some excellent recommendations for great flushable kitty litters. Your pets are important to us, too, and we’re confident in the suggestions we’ve chosen for cats all over our beautiful planet.
What is the Best Flushable Cat Litter?
- Pretty Litter Health Monitoring Silica Cat Litter – 20% Off w/ code BESTLITTER
- Okocat Super Soft Clumping Wood Cat Litter
- sWheat Scoop Natural Fast-Clumping Wheat Cat Litter – Most Affordable
- Garfield Cat Litter Tiny Grains Flushable Cat Litter
- Nature’s Miracle Just For Cats Natural Pine Cat Litter
- World’s Best Cat Litter Scoopable Multiple Cat Clumping Formula
5 Benefits of Using Flushable Cat Litter
Flushable litter has become a trendy topic in the cat-loving community. It’s a popular litter feature that boasts many benefits. Here we list exactly what those benefits are.
- Convenience: Flushing litter down the toilet can be much more convenient than having to put in in the bag then throw it in a trash receptacle. Just scoop the poop and flush it down the toilet rather than having to deal with bagging and trashing. No extra mess, no extra stress!
- Environmentally-friendly: Billions of pounds of clay cat litter ends up in landfills every year. You can help reduce that outrageous number by using a flushable kitty litter. Not only do you avoid adding your clay litter to the landfill, but you also avoid all of those extra plastic bags clogging it up as well. Generally, traditional litter is known be harmful to the environment. Flushable litters are meant to dissolve in the sewer system when flushed down the toilet.
- Cost-effective: Believe it or not, using a flushable cat litter can be more cost effective than using clay. It requires less litter to make a solid clump with flushable cat litter, therefore you use less cat litter overall. While purchasing flushable litter may be seem more expensive at first, the cost evens out since you have to buy litter less often.
- Biodegradable: Septic safe cat litters are often biodegradable because they are made out of 100% natural materials without chemicals, additives or toxins. Therefore, you can compost these types of litters. Even if biodegradable, flushable litter ends up in the landfill, some litter materials decompose into the earth in as little as one month.
- Healthier for your cat: Since flushable litters are generally soft, virtually dust-free and don’t contain nasty chemicals, they are typically better for your cat’s health! Cats with allergies, asthma and respiratory sensitivity can especially benefit from flushable litters.
Now let’s take a look at the differences between flushable and non-flushable cat litter.
What Makes a Litter Flushable vs. Non-Flushable
The ingredient in traditional clay cat litter that helps form scoopable clumps is called sodium bentonite. While this beneficial for cleaning and maintenance, these types of rock hard clumps cannot be flushed down the toilet. Not only do you pose the risk of clogging your toilet and pipes, but the clay itself will simply travel through the sewer system without dissolving. Tough clumps can pose a serious risk to your plumbing, and the clumps will take a long time to break down.
5 Key Components to Look for in a Flushable Cat Litter
There are some specific factors that allow cat litters to be labeled as flushable. If you aren’t sure if your cat litter is flushable or not, consider if it has the following qualities:
- Flushable litters are made from biodegradable, renewable materials such as wood, corn, wheat, pine, cedar and more.
- A lightweight cat litter is more likely to be flushable than a heavy, tough material.
- Flushable litters do not contain sodium bentonite.
- You won’t find added chemicals or toxins in a flushable litter.
- Super soft, fine grains are more flushable than large, rock-like granules.
After taking a further look at the characteristics of flushable kitty litter, allow us to share with you our recommendations for your feline friends.
Overall Best Flushable Cat Litter
|Our 2022 Picks: Best Cat Litters that you can Flush|
|Pretty Litter Flushable Subscription Cat Litter
|Okocat Super Soft Clumping Wood Cat Litter
|sWheat Scoop Natural Fast-Clumping Wheat Cat Litter
|Garfield Cat Litter Tiny Grains Flushable Cat Litter
|Nature’s Miracle Just For Cats Natural Pine Cat Litter
|World’s Best Cat Litter Scoopable Multiple Cat Clumping Formula
- 20% off with code BESTLITTER
- Color changing to alert you to your cat’s medical issues
- Delivery service
- Less dust and mess
- Traps odors and eliminates moisture
PrettyLitter is unlike any litter you have used before. Not only is it flushable and environmentally friendly, but its most amazing benefit is that it changes color to let you know if your cat is suffering from an underlying medical issue. PrettyLitter can detect health issues such as urinary tract infections, bladder stones, inflammation, kidney issues, and more. Cats often hide health problems, so PrettyLitter takes out the guess work and tells you what your cat can’t! PrettyLitter is a once-a-month cat litter delivery service, and it costs less than some other typical cat litters. The amount is tailored to suit the number of cats in your home, and the super absorbent silica gel traps odors and eliminates moisture. PrettyLitter is made from natural minerals, which means less dust and allergens in your home.
- Made from natural minerals
- Changes color when it detects medical issues
- Less dust and mess
- Convenient delivery service
- Non-clumping can cause tracking
- Subscription service
- Made from 100% reclaimed fibers that are biodegradable
- Lightweight and super soft
- Made with Odor Shield Technology
- Premium absorbency
- Superior clumping while using less litter
All Okocat litters are eco-friendly, and that’s one of the reasons why the Super Soft Clumping Wood Cat Litter is one of our top flushable litter picks. This litter is free of toxins and chemicals, making it biodegradable and extra safe for your cat’s health. It even comes in a compostable package so your entire experience will be good for the environment!
We like that this flushable Okocat litter is incredibly soft on your cat’s paws. The very fine wood granules are fitting for cats of all ages, and even for those with sensitive paws and skin. But don’t be turned off by the lightweight design. This cat litter absorbs up to five times as much moisture and liquid as a traditional clay litter. It’s also been lab-tested to prove that odors will be absorbed for up to seven days. And since the litter is so absorbent, you will use less of it in the long run.
This Okocat flushable wood cat litter causes little to no dust, great for homes that have cats and people who have allergies or asthma. Overall it’s a fantastic choice for the livelihood of your feline friend and the environment. The fact that this litter is flushable is a huge bonus, adding to the convenience of your cleaning routine.
- Biodegradable and flushable
- Soft enough for even the most sensitive cats
- Super absorbent so you use less litter
- Good for cats with respiratory concerns
- Lab-tested and proven to absorb tough odors
- Can potentially get stuck in your cat’s fur if they have long hair
- Recommended by veterinarians
- Absorbs moisture faster than ordinary brands
- Made from 100% wheat
- Wheat starches help the litter clump quickly and easily
- Noble Ion Technology offers powerful odor control
Runner-Up Best Flushable Cat Litter: Wheat is a fully renewable resource, and that’s exactly what sWheat Scoop cat litters are made from! The natural enzymes in the wheat fight odor in your cat’s litter box without any additional fragrances or perfumes. sWheat Scoops calls this process Noble Ion Technology. This flushable cat litter is truly all natural.
sWheat Scoop litter will stay fresher and cleaner in your cat’s box since it absorbs liquid quickly and effectively. And fast, clean clumping action means less litter is wasted, and therefore you save money! The wheat starches assist in the process of creating clean clumps so you can easily scoop them and flush. Tidying your cat’s litter box has never been tidier or more environmentally friendly.
- Good for all cats, including kittens and post-surgical cats
- Wheat offers natural, superior odor absorption
- Moisture creates clumps on contact
- Quick, clean scooping for stress-free flushing
- Recommended for single cat homes
We know how important it is to stick to a budget, but that doesn’t mean you have to skimp on quality. You will love our budget-friendly flushable cat litter pick!
- Made from biodegradable plant-based grains
- Instantly forms solid clumps
- White color so you can detect changes in elimination
Best Budget-Friendly Flushable Cat Litter: This Garfield flushable cat litter is made from natural ingredients that “make a perfect clump” after absorbing moisture. Not only is scooping easy, but you can eliminate the extra mess by flushing the used litter down the toilet. Since this Garfield cat litter is comprised of tiny granules made from plant-based ingredients, it’s completely safe for the environment.
This cat litter is unique because it’s white. While some pet parents may not appreciate that your cat’s urine and fecal matter is easy to see, having white litter means it’s easy to tell if there’s been a change in urine color or consistency. We like that the tiny grains of this Garfield flushable litter are soft on paws and dust-free.
- Made from renewable, biodegradable material
- Instantly forms a solid clump for tidy cleaning
- Free of chemicals and fragrances
- White color
- Tiny grains are gentle on paws and easy to flush
- Unscented, which is only a con if you want a fresher smell
Two More Top Rated Flushable Cat Litters
Another excellent budget-friendly flushable cat litter is this one from Nature’s Miracle. We like that it’s made from all-natural pine granules, which give it a fresh scent. This flushable pine cat litter stands out from the rest because the pine goes through an intense kiln-drying process. This process helps reduce any sort of harmful mold or bacteria while maximizing odor absorbing qualities.
Nature’s Miracle flushable cat litter works well for cats with sensitivities because it’s free of dye and clay additives. The pine is highly absorbent and quickly forms clumps for easy disposal. Overall we recommend this flushable litter for its unique pine properties and cost-effective price.
World’s Best Cat Litter makes several different flushable cat litters, but we like this one for multi-cat households. This litter is different from the others on our list because the main ingredient is corn. Corn is highly biodegradable and dust-free, so if you choose this litter you know it’ll be great for your home and the environment.
This World’s Best Cat Litter is flushable via both sewer and septic systems. The clumps formed are small and tight so you won’t have to worry about large clumps clogging your pipes. The corn easily breaks down in the process as well. If you’re interested in other healthy corn-based flushable options, World’s Best has some phenomenal alternatives to choose from.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are flushable cat litters safe for the environment? – If the cat litter that you are flushing has been deemed “flushable,” then generally speaking it is safe for the environment. Flushable cat litters are made from natural, renewable resources that will easily dissolve and break down when flushed. There have been debates about flushing cat fecal matter and the harmful bacteria that it can transmit via the water, but currently there is no solid scientific evidence for either side of the debate.
- Are flushable cat litters really flushable? – Flushable cat litter is really flushable if you follow the directions per the brand’s packaging. Do not brush off the instructions on your litter’s label. Every brand and material is different and may require a unique disposal process. For example, some materials may require that you only flush one clump at a time. There’s always the risk that your toilet could reject what is flushed down it. It’s best to read the cat litter instructions and follow them closely. It’s important to note that some cat litters may be flushable via sewer system, but not via septic systems.
- Can all cat litters be flushed down the toilet? – It’s not recommended that you flush cat litter down the toilet unless it’s made from a biodegradable material. Clay litter can end up stuck in your plumbing system, as it won’t break down like corn or wheat. If you flush something that should not be disposed of via sewer system, it can hurt piping and the environment. It’s best to only flush cat litters that are labeled as “flushable.”
Using a flushable cat litter is good for the environment and safe for your cat to use no matter what stage of life they are in. We appreciate the convenience, health benefits and eco-friendliness that flushable cat litters offer.
Remember to always read the instructions of the flushable cat litter you decide to buy. The disposal process may be different depending on the material of the litter you’ve chosen. It’s also best to start with flushing a small amount so you can make sure that your toilet system won’t have issues with it. It’s also imperative to always wash your hands after cleaning and handling litter as to avoid bacterial contamination.