7 Best Cheap Cat Litters: Our 2023 Most Affordable Picks
- What is the Best Cheapest Cat Litter?
- 5 Benefits of Using Cheaper Kitty Litter
- How to Save Money on Cat Litter
- 5 Components to Look for in a Cheaper Cat Litter
- Overall Best Cheap Cat Litter
- 5 More Top Cheaper Cat Litter Picks
- Frequently Asked Questions
There are over 95 million cats in American households today. While there are a plethora of different types of cat litter on the market to account for almost 1 billion cats and their unique needs, it’s also important for families to stay on budget. Many households have multiple cats, and expenses can quickly add up!
35% Off at Chewy.com
+ Free ShippingSave Now
Luckily for cat parents it’s no longer difficult to find a quality cat litter for a decent price. While it used to be popular to use alternatives in order to save money on litter, it’s no longer necessary. Cat parents can purchase a cost-effective litter without sacrificing benefits such as clumping technology and odor control. To take the guess work out, we’ve put together a list of the best cheaper kitty litters for you to choose from. We’re confident that you’ll find a litter on our list that will be purrfect for your kitties!
What is the Best Cheapest Cat Litter?
- Frisco Fresh Scent Multi-Cat Clumping Cat Litter – Most Popular
- Yesterday’s News Original Formula Cat Litter
- Arm & Hammer Litter Super Scoop Fresh Clean Scent Clumping Litter
- Scoop Away Multi-Cat Meadow Fresh Scent Clumping Cat Litter
- Tidy Cats Scoop Instant Action Immediate Odor Control Cat Litter
- Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Pellet Non-Clumping Litter
- Frisco Lightweight Floral Fresh Scent Multi-Cat Clumping Litter
- Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Litter
5 Benefits of Using Cheaper Kitty Litter
There are surprising benefits to using a cheaper cat litter, some of which you may not expect. Let’s dig through some benefits of choosing a more cost-effective litter:
- Affordable for any budget: Whether you have $5 or $25 to spend on a bag of cat litter, you can find a good one that your cats will use. Clay clumping litters with odor blocking technology come pretty standard nowadays, even in the most budget-friendly cat litter.
- Convenient to purchase: Discount cat litter can often be conveniently bought almost anywhere. Of course you can purchase them online via Chewy.com or you can pick up a bag at your local grocery store.
- Won’t sacrifice odor control: There are plenty of budget litters on the market that offer superior odor control. They can be just as effective as high cost litters! You won’t most likely won’t have to sacrifice odor protection if you purchase a cheaper litter.
- Price does not equal effectiveness: Just because a cat litter is affordable doesn’t mean it’s not effective! You can purchase the most expensive litter but if you don’t clean and maintain it, it will smell and make a mess. Generally the price of a cat litter does not determine its effectiveness.
- You still have options: In the past only clay litters were available at a budget-friendly price. That’s no longer the case. Sure, you don’t have a ton of options but you can get silica gel litter and paper pellet litter for a low price now. Paper pellets are even eco-friendly!
How to Save Money on Cat Litter
Aside from purchasing a cheap cat litter, there are some easy ways to save money on cat litter!
- Don’t waste litter: Don’t throw away unused litter. Clumping litters help avoid wasting it, and it takes less litter to form a clump if you use a small-grain litter. Sifting litter boxes can also help avoid extra waste.
- Purchase online: Sites like Chewy.com often offer free shipping and a discounted price if you sign up for auto ship!
- Buy on Black Friday: Cat litter is a popular Black Friday product. You can often get it for 50% off! That’s a great time to stock up.
- Use washable litter: There are specific litter boxes with appropriate litter that is washable and reusable.
- Buy a cheap cat litter: You can often purchase a high quality cat litter for a very budget-friendly price.
5 Components to Look for in a Cheaper Cat Litter
If you want to buy an affordable cat litter, there are several components you’ll want to consider before making a purchase.
- Odor control: Obviously odor control is priority when choosing a cat litter. Most cheap cat litters will handle nasty odors the same way as expensive litters. If you have multiple cats, consider choosing a litter specifically made with “multi-cat strength.” They tend to be more effective in odor control. You can also purchase a litter with baking soda or activated carbon for additional odor protection.
- Clumping: You will need to decide if you want a clumping or non-clumping litter. Both have different benefits, and you have plenty of options at an affordable price.
- Dust-free: Cat litters made from materials other than clay are more likely to be dust-free. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t purchase a dust-free traditional clay litter. Sodium bentonite is the element which causes dusty residue, and it also helps form clumps. Non-clumping litters are less likely to be dusty.
- For long hair cats: If you have a long hair cat you will want a litter that contains pellets or larger granules. Luckily we have some great recommendations on our list for kitties with long locks.
- Mechanical litter boxes: If you use a sifting or mechanical litter box, you’ll want to buy a cheap litter with small granules. Pellets will not work in mechanical boxes.
Overall Best Cheap Cat Litter
Frisco Fresh Scent Multi-Cat Clumping Cat Litter
- Multi-cat formula
- Unique deodorizing system
- Low dust
- Soft on paws
Frisco is our top choice for budget-friendly cat litter. This one is built with a unique deodorizing technology that fights odors around the clock. It’s a hard clumping litter, which makes scooping and cleaning the litter box a stress free task. We like that this Frisco cat litter is low dust and super soft, so it’ll be gentle on your kitty’s paws.
Although the granules in this inexpensive cat litter are extremely fine, it is said to be a low tracking formula. When your cat swipes their paws through the litter, a fresh scent will be released, and your kitty can leave the box without creating a trail of litter.
- Hard clumping for easy clean up
- Gentle on sensitive paws
- Deodorizing technology
- Great in mechanical or sifting litter boxes
- Not recommended for cats with long hair
Yesterday’s News Original Formula Cat Litter
- 3X more absorbent than clay
- Made from recycled paper
- Good for long hair cats
Runner-Up Best Cheaper Cat Litter: If you’re interested in a more eco-friendly cat litter, we like Yesterday’s News. Appropriately named, this cat litter is made from recycled newspaper. It’s biodegradable so you will decrease your ecological footprint. Your cat and the environment will appreciate this inexpensive cat litter!
The paper pellets are highly absorbent and won’t track like small grain litters will. Although it won’t work in mechanical litter boxes because the pellets are too large, it’s a great choice for cats with long hair. This environmentally-friendly cat litter is 99% dust free, making it purrfect for kitties with allergies, asthma and respiratory sensitivities.
- Low tracking
- Great for long hair cats
- Won’t work in mechanical litter boxes
Arm & Hammer Litter Super Scoop Fresh Clean Scent Clumping Litter
- Infused with baking soda
- Powerful scoop formula
- 99% dust free
- Hard clumping for easy cleanup
Budget-Friendly Cheapest Cat Litter: Arm & Hammer cat litter is formulated with baking soda for effective odor control technology. This benefit makes it a good choice for multi-cat households. This clay litter is made of fine micro-grains so it’s super soft on kitty’s paws. Since the grains are small, it takes less litter to create a hard clump, making this litter that much more cost effective.
Even though this Arm & Hammer litter is clay-based, it is 99% dust free. The extra strength formula works around the clock to trap and contain unpleasant odors. The smell of nasty ammonia is combated through the trusted process of using baking soda. We like that you can pick up a 14lb box of this litter for only $7, which any cat parent can appreciate!
- Baking soda eliminates odors
- Virtually dust free
- Easy scooping for multiple cat households
- Works in mechanical litter boxes
- Not eco-friendly
- Not recommended for long hair cats
5 More Top Cheaper Cat Litter Picks
Scoop Away Multi-Cat Meadow Fresh Scent Clumping Cat Litter
This budget-friendly cat litter is a low-dust formula which is infused with anti-microbial properties for to fight the toughest odors and associated bacteria. A fresh scent is left behind with every swipe of your cat’s paw, keeping your kitty’s litter area smelling clean. This litter is designed to clump easily for low maintenance and it will work with any type of litter box. We like that this Scoop Away litter is great for multi-cat households. Pick up a 14lb box for only $7!
Tidy Cats Scoop Instant Action Immediate Odor Control Cat Litter
Tidy Cats has been a trusted cat litter for decades. The natural clay litter is formulated with maximum deodorizing technology. The clumping formula traps odors on contact and keeps your home smelling clean. TidyLock protection locks away even the worst smells, even if you have a large kitty crew to tend to. Protect against ammonia odors and bacteria with this cost-effective Tidy Cats Scoop Instant Action cat litter, which is conveniently available for purchase almost anywhere!
Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Pellet Non-Clumping Litter
Another great eco-friendly yet cheaper cat litter is this one from Naturally Fresh. The walnut-based litter is said to absorb odors and moisture better than many leading traditional cat litters. Although the pellets are non-clumping, they trap up to 7X as much moisture as standard clay litter. This cat litter is dust-free and low tracking. You can’t use this natural pellet litter in a mechanical litter box, but your long hair cats will like it because the pellets won’t get matted in their fur. Made from a blend of walnut shells, this litter is biodegradable and effective in neutralizing odors.
Frisco Lightweight Floral Fresh Scent Multi-Cat Clumping Litter
This is the only lightweight cat litter that makes our list of best cheaper cat litters. Frisco makes dependable cat litter we recommend this option for cat parents on a budget who want a lightweight litter. The fine-grain litter weighs 50% less than traditional clay litter so it’s easy for you to carry and pour. Clumps quickly form on contact with liquid so scooping your cat’s box just became easier! This Frisco lightweight litter is formulated with a deodorizing system and fresh floral scent so you can maintain a pleasant cat litter space.
Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Clumping Litter
All of Dr. Elsey’s cat litters are veterinary formulated. This particular litter is multi-cat strength because of its clumping action and superior odor control. It’s also 99% dust-free and hypoallergenic, a must-have for kitties and households with allergies! Cat parents can use this Dr. Elsey’s litter in any type of litter box, but it may track or get stuck in fur of long haired cats.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I buy cheap cat litter? – You can buy cheap cat litter almost anywhere! You can shop via online retailers like Chewy and Amazon of you can head to your local grocery store. National stores such as Walmart and Target are also convenient places to purchase cheap cat litter.
- What am I sacrificing by purchasing cheap litter? – It really all depends on which cat litter you choose. If you buy a cheap cat litter that has odor protection, clumping technology and it made without chemicals or additives, you probably aren’t sacrificing anything!
- Can I use other materials in place of cat litter? – Cat litter is specifically created to offer a natural digging experience for cats while maintaining odors and making cleanup stress free for pet parents. We suggest sticking to using cat litter, especially since there are so many affordable options on store shelves to choose from.
- How often should I change my cat’s litter? – You should scoop your cat’s litter at least once a day. The litter box should be cleaned and completely emptied and refilled every two weeks or so. If you use a non-clumping litter, you may need to clean it more frequently.
Just because a cat litter is cheap doesn’t mean it won’t be a good choice for your cats. Cheaper litter can be as effective in offering your kitty a clean, healthy litter box experience. Great odor control and clumping action come pretty standard nowadays, so it will be easy for you to find a quality litter at an exceptional price.
Remember to keep your cat’s litter box in a well ventilated area, no matter what type of cat litter you choose. Always wash your hands after cleaning or handle litter, as harmful bacteria can be spread from cat feces.