- What is the Best Corn Cat Litter
- 6 Benefits of Using Corn Cat Litter
- Planet and Pet Friendliness of Corn Cat Litter
- 5 Components to Look for in a Corn Cat Litter
- Overall Best Corn Based Cat Litter
- 4 More Top Corn Cat Litter Picks
- Frequently Asked Questions
Corn cat litter is one of the most popular natural litters that cat parents enjoy using. Corn is biodegradable, safe for the environment and offers natural clumping properties. If you are interested in making the switch to a natural cat litter, you may want to consider purchasing one made from corn.
Many corn cat litters contain other ingredients such as cedar and pine, but these types of litters are much safer for the environment than clay. Natural litters can also be healthier for your cat, and a more convenient option for pet parents in terms of cleaning and maintenance. In this article we offer you our top best corn cat litter recommendations, as well as more information about why using a corn cat litter can help your pet and the planet.
What is the Best Corn Cat Litter
- World’s Best Cat Litter Scoopable Multiple Cat Clumping Litter
- Arm & Hammer Litter Naturals Clumping Cat Litter
- Frisco All Natural Pine & Corn Clumping Cat Litter
- Tidy Cats Pure Nature Cat Litter
- Rufus & Coco Wee Kitty Clumping Cat Litter
- Garfield Cat Litter Ultimate Clump Flushable Cat Litter
- Zero Mess by World’s Best Advanced Pine Scented Cat Litter
6 Benefits of Using Corn Cat Litter
Using corn cat litter can benefit you, your pet and the environment! Let’s look into it more thoroughly.
- Lightweight: Corn cat litter is generally much lighter than traditional clay litter. This is mostly a benefit for pet parents, as carrying a large container of litter can be exhausting. The lightweight feature is also beneficial when disposing of it. Lighter litter means lighter trash to take out.
- Eco-friendly: Although not all corn cat litter are biodegradable, they are much safer for the environment than clay.
- Natural odor control: Corn granules effectively and naturally control odors better than traditional litter. Corn also has a light scent to it, which helps conceal odors.
- Dust-free: Corn cat litters are free of silica dust, so they are virtually dust free. While there aren’t any brands who claim to be 100% dust free, all of the corn cat litters we recommend are 99% dust-free. This is an exceptional benefit for cats and humans that deal with allergies.
- Naturally absorbent: Corn granules are naturally absorbent, making it easy to scoop and clean the litter box. The absorbency also assists in odor control.
- Flushable: Not all corn cat litters are flushable, but many are. Flushing cat litter simply adds convenience to cleaning your kitty’s litter box.
Planet and Pet Friendliness of Corn Cat Litter
Corn cat litter is made in a variety of ways. Sometimes it’s made from 100% natural compressed corn, while other times it’s mixed with pine, cedar or unnatural ingredients. Often times corn cat litter also contains other plant fibers.
Several corn cat litters, like those from World’s Best, are 100% natural. The only ingredient is corn, making the litter completely biodegradable and flushable. These types of corn cat litters are safest for the environment because they will decompose in a landfill. When cat litter is made from 100% renewable resources, they are the safest for the environment.
Although some corn cat litters contain unnatural ingredients, they are still safer for the environment than clay. Clay cat litters are known for being harmful to the environment due to specific elements contained in the ingredients. In the end, corn cat litter will always be better for the planet than clay.
5 Components to Look for in a Corn Cat Litter
Corn cat litters tend to be similar, but there are some minor differences to make note of. Take the following components into consideration when choosing a corn cat litter:
- Clumping or non-clumping: Most corn cat litters are clumping formulas simply because corn granules naturally clump on contact with liquid. There are a few non-clumping corn cat litters, but you will need to specifically look for that feature if you’re interested in a non-clumping option.
- Biodegradable: Not all corn cat litters are biodegradable because some contain other non-natural ingredients. Read the labels to determine whether or not the litter you’re interested in is biodegradable.
- Flushable: Just as not all corn cat litters are biodegradable, they are not all flushable. The instructions on the litter packaging will tell you whether or not you can flush the litter.
- Other ingredients: Some corn cat litter contains other ingredients such as baking soda, mineral oil or other natural resources such as pine. Check the ingredient list to determine what the cat litter contains.
- Scent: Corn cat litters typically have a natural, woodsy type of smell to them. If you want a completely unscented litter, it’s not recommended to use corn litter.
Now we present our recommendations for the best corn cat litters!
Overall Best Corn Based Cat Litter
|Our 2021 Picks: Best Cat Litters made of Corn|
|World’s Best Cat Litter Scoopable Multiple Cat Clumping Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Arm & Hammer Litter Naturals Clumping Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco All Natural Pine & Corn Clumping Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Tidy Cats Pure Nature Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Rufus & Coco Wee Kitty Clumping Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Zero Mess by World’s Best Advanced Pine Scented Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Zero Mess By World’s Best Advanced Pine Scented Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
- Multiple cat formula
- Forms small, tight clumps
World’s Best offers several cat litters made from compressed corn, but the scoopable multiple cat formula is our top pick. Since this litter is made for multi-cat homes, the odor control is superior. You won’t have to deal with nasty ammonia odors, as the compressed corn granules keep odor contained. Tight clumps are formed upon contact with liquid and moisture, so cleaning your kitty’s litter box will be a breeze.
World’s Best cat litters are flushable and biodegradable, as many corn cat litters are. This litter can be flushed via septic and sewer systems, adding to a convenient cleaning process for cat parents. Don’t forget that World’s Best corn cat litters are dust free, and you can trust them to be healthy for cats with allergies and asthma. We highly recommend World’s Best multiple cat clumping litter for a crew of feline friends and for cat parents who want a high quality, environmentally-friendly litter.
- Flushable and biodegradable
- Tight clumps form using less litter
- Dust free
- Great for multi-cat homes
- Can be used in mechanical litter boxes
- Susceptible to tracking
- Formulated with baking soda for extra odor control
- Weighs 50% less than clay litter
- Absorbs twice as much liquid as clay
- Uses a plant-based clumping agent
Runner Up Best Corn Cat Litter: Much like other Arm & Hammer cat litters, this corn litter uses moisture-activated baking soda to eliminate the toughest odors. The litter itself is made from natural corn fibers, but it also includes a plant-based clumping agent so tight clumps form on liquid contact. Arm & Hammer Litter Naturals absorbs twice as much liquid as the leading traditional cat litter.
Cat parents know the struggle of carrying heavy cat litter, but say goodbye to that difficulty with this corn cat litter! It weighs 50% less than normal litter so you won’t be out of breath when lifting cat litter anymore. Any pet parent can appreciate that benefit. Like most corn cat litters, this one is low dust. Your entire family will breathe easier when you switch from clay to Arm & Hammer corn cat litter.
- Uses baking soda to eliminate odors
- Weighs 50% less than traditional litter
- Clumping formula
- Absorbs more moisture than clay
- Not flushable
- 100% natural corn and pine
- 3X more absorbent than clay
- Improved formula for premium clumping
Best Budget-Friendly Corn Cat Litter: Frisco All Natural Pine & Corn cat litter is made from 100% natural ingredients. The granules are formed from corn, pine shavings and reclaimed lumber. The natural formula make this corn cat litter biodegradable and flushable – a great option if you enjoy being an eco-friendly cat parent! You don’t have to worry about any dyes, chemicals or fragrances when you choose this litter.
This corn cat litter is ideal for multiple cat households because it offers maximum clumping action. Small clumps are formed for superior odor control and easy scooping. We recommend this corn cat litter because not only is it cost-effective, but it’s also safe for your cats and the planet! You can use Frisco corn cat litter no matter how many cats you have without breaking the bank.
- Absorbs 3X as much liquid as clay
- Superior clumping
- 100% natural ingredients free of chemicals or fragrances
- Not flushable
4 More Top Corn Cat Litter Picks
This Tidy Cats litter is made from a blend of corn, pine and cedar. It offers a natural, fresh scent without any perfumes or fragrances. This litter was created specifically for multiple cat households, as it forms tight clumps and contains odors effectively. Cat parents can use this litter in mechanical litter boxes, but it is not biodegradable or flushable. This is also a budget-friendly corn cat litter.
This Rufus & Coco cat litter is very unique, but we really like it for several reasons! Unlike the other corn litters on our list, this one is great for cats with long hair. The pellet-like granules won’t become matted in fur. This corn cat litter is also different because it’s low tracking. Scoopable clumps are formed by from the natural, biodegradable corn pellets, and then you can flush it for convenient disposal. Another benefit of this litter is it absorbs up to 4X as much liquid as clay! If you’re looking for a premium corn cat litter, this one is absolutely worth looking into.
This Garfield cat litter is made from 100% natural, renewable, biodegradable ingredients. It’s flushable for easy cleanup and disposal, or you can compost it! Garfield corn cat litter is highly absorbent and clumps form immediately on contact with liquid. Keep your kitty’s litter box area smelling clean and fresh with this dust-free cat litter – no perfumes or fragrances necessary! We like that this cat litter is white so you can easily detect changes in your cat’s urine.
World’s Best Cat Litter introduced a line of Zero Mess cat litters specifically designed to make litter box cleaning less of a hassle. The powerful litter is made from 100% natural corn concentrated granules that are super absorbent while using less litter to form clumps. The litter emits a light, natural pine scent for a delightful smelling experience. We like Zero Mess pine scented corn litter for multiple cat households and low-stress kitty litter box maintenance.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is corn cat litter flushable? – While corn cat litters are more eco-friendly than clay litter, not all of them are flushable. Some cat litters contain other elements which are not safe to flush down the toilet. If the corn litter is 100% natural, it will be safe to flush. Always check the packaging and labels on the litter you choose for proper disposal instructions.
- Is corn-based litter safe? – There have been questions regarding corn-based litter and aflatoxin, a naturally occurring mycotoxin produced by a specific fungus. Aflatoxins are very toxic to pets and humans, and they can be found on grains such as corn. Commercial corn-based cat litters go through a rigorous process to eliminate all moisture from the corn and litter. However, if you leave your cat litter box exposed to heat or humidity, there’s no saying that the toxic aflatoxin won’t grow in the box. It’s important to keep your litter box in a cool, dry, ventilated area to avoid any sort of toxic bacterial growth.
- Is all corn cat litter biodegradable? – No. Corn cat litter is biodegradable when it’s 100% natural. Sometimes corn cat litters contain other ingredients which aren’t natural, making them non-biodegradable.
As you can see, corn cat litters have become a widespread and popular choice among cat parents. The benefits they offer cats and the environment far outweigh any potential negative aspects. No matter what sort of budget you have, there is a corn cat litter for you!
To keep your cats thriving and healthy, remember to put your kitty’s litter box in well-ventilated area. This will also be better for your health when cleaning the box. Always wash your hands after scooping soiled litter or changing it out. Cat feces can contain harmful bacteria that is easily spread if you don’t thoroughly wash your hands.