6 Best Dog Treadmills With Our 2023 Budget-Friendly Pick
Picking out a dog treadmill can be as cumbersome as picking out one for yourself. When making such a hefty investment, you want to be sure that you’re getting the best bang for your buck. But don’t worry – we’ve done extensive research for you, and put together the results in this comprehensive guide. Once you’re done reading, all you have to do is pick out a dog treadmill, and your pup will be off and running in no time.
35% Off at Chewy.com
+ Free ShippingSave Now
What is the Best Dog Treadmill?
6 Benefits of Using a Dog Treadmill
There are several incredible benefits to using a dog treadmill. No matter the age or condition of your dog, a treadmill can promote a healthy, fit lifestyle in the comfort of your own home. Check out some of the notable benefits below:
- Undesirable weather: If you live in a climate with torrential rainfall, frigid snow storms or intense heat, your dog may not get enough exercise during those questionable months. A dog treadmill will allow your pup to get plenty of exercise indoors when they can’t properly burn calories outdoors.
- Additional exercise for energetic dogs: Some dogs are extremely energetic, and even a long daily run won’t tire them out. Dog treadmills are a great solution for pups who need to blow off extra steam before bed time or in the morning before you head off to work.
- Rehabilitation: If your dog has suffered an injury, a dog treadmill can assist with prolonged rehabilitation. Just remember to follow all instructions from your veterinary specialist as to not cause further injury.
- Fitness for senior dogs: Many senior dogs slow down in their golden years. A dog treadmill is a convenient, stress-free way to help your pup exercise so they don’t gain unnecessary weight. It’s important for your senior dog to be fit so they can live out the rest of their life in the best shape possible.
- Promotes weight management: It’s easy for our pets to put on a few extra pounds, especially during hot summer or cold winter months. If your dog needs to shed a bit of weight, a dog treadmill can accompany regular exercise to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Easier on your dog’s body: Using a dog treadmill will generally be easier on your pup’s body. Treadmills are often built with shock absorption as to put less stress on your dog’s joints. This aspect is especially helpful for senior dogs or those recovering from injury.
Tips for Teaching Your Dog to Use a Treadmill
Not all dogs are going to be crazy about using a treadmill at first. A potentially loud, stationary object can cause fear and uncertainty. Use these tips to help your dog learn to love their new exercise machine:
- Keep the treadmill facing an open area. If the treadmill is facing a wall, your dog may panic thinking they are running into the wall.
- Start slow with 30 second sessions.
- Use lots of positive reinforcement with high value treats to encourage use of the treadmill.
- Start with the slowest speed option.
- Use a leash and harness if necessary as to keep your dog comfortable and supported.
8 Components to Look for in a Dog Treadmill
Purchasing a dog treadmill is an investment, so you will want to be sure that you are getting everything you need to give your dog the best experience possible. Don’t settle for a mediocre treadmill. Instead, consider the following components to ensure you pick the very best option for your pup:
- Your dog’s size: Dog treadmills are not “one size fits all.” Many treadmills comes in different sizes to appropriately accommodate your dog. Ideally the treadmill should be double the length of your dog’s body.
- Size of the unit: Some dog treadmills conveniently fold or collapse for easy storage. Be sure to consider where you plan to put the treadmill for use, then for storage.
- Weight of your dog: A treadmill made for small or medium dogs most likely won’t be suitable for a large dog. Most dog treadmills have a weight capacity, so you’ll need to purchase one that can hold your dog’s weight.
- Speed settings: A majority of dog treadmills come with a wide range of speed settings. Normally the range is anywhere from 0.5 MPH to 8 MPH. For smaller or senior dogs, be sure to buy a treadmill with lower speed options.
- Incline: The incline option on a dog treadmill is intended for pup who need to shed a few extra pounds. Some treadmills have a wide incline range, while others have one setting. If you’re purchasing a dog treadmill for the purpose of your dog losing weight, you’ll definitely want to choose one with the option to incline at different increments.
- Noise: Dogs can be sensitive to the sound of a working treadmill. Many are designed to be quiet, which is a fantastic option if your dog is easily startled or fearful of unfamiliar noises.
- Other features: There are a variety of features to look for when choosing the best dog treadmill for your canine companion. These include a remote control, treat holder, harness support bar and toy attachment.
- Warranty: Dog treadmills aren’t cheap, so it’d be a totally bummer for your treadmill to stop working less than a year after you buy it. Many pup treadmills come with a warranty on the entire unit or certain parts of it. Warranties generally range from 1 year to lifetime.
Overall Best Dog Treadmills
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Dog Treadmills|
|DogPacer Minipacer Treadmill
|SHELANDY Pet Treadmill
|Go Pet Petrun Pr700 Dog Treadmill
|GoPet Treadwheel For Large Dogs
|DogTread Small Dog Treadmill
DogPacer Minipacer Treadmill
- Suitable for dogs up to 55lbs
- Includes pre-set dog fitness and exercise programs
- Easily collapses for storage
- Lifetime warranty on the frame
The dogPacer Minipacer Treadmill is extremely popular among pet parents for its reliability, quality and variety of settings. This dog treadmill is great for dogs just beginning their new fitness regimen. It’s built from high-quality materials such as strong carbon steel. Dog parents can completely collapse this treadmill to slide it under a bed or into a closet for quick and easy storage. The entire unit weighs about 48lbs.
We love that this dog treadmill has several speed settings. Its runs at the speed of 0.5 MPH to 7.5 MPH, with an incline option of 4.5 degrees. The speed can be increased in 1 MPH increments. The ability to use a plethora of speeds is very beneficial. Whether your dog is going through rehabilitation for an injury or they are running to release energy, there’s a speed that will be appropriate for them. The dogPACER treadmill is highly recommended, and it comes at a moderate price point.
- Multiple speed settings to best accommodate your dog’s fitness needs
- Easy to store
- Comes with computer fitness programs for your pup
- Frame is protected under a lifetime warranty
- Not meant for dogs over 55lbs
- Accommodates dogs of any size
- Speed controlled through the unit or a remote control
- Equipped with dolly wheels for easy movement
- Toy can be attached to the front
Runner-Up Best Dog Treadmill – While the GoPet Treadmill is going to cost you a pretty penny, it has several fancy features that make it worth considering. The speed on this treadmill can be controlled on the unit itself or via remote control. It’s nice to have the remote option just in case your pup doesn’t like being disturbed during a workout session. The front of the treadmill is equipped with a metal eyelet for attaching a toy, giving your pup inspiration to run.
The GoPet Treadmill is fairly easy to move around, as it’s built with two convenient dolly wheels. It’s also built to be quiet to avoid causing your dog stress. We like that the speed of this dog treadmill can be adjusted from 1 to 8 MPH. It also supports an incline for additional exercise. The GoPet Treadmill comes with a one year warranty on the entire unit.
- Multiple speeds can be controlled through a remote or the treadmill
- Metal eyelet allows you to hang a toy to motivate your dog
- Equipped with wheels for easy movement
- Suitable for dogs of any size or breed
- With extensive features comes a higher price. This is the most expensive treadmill on our list.
SHELANDY Pet Treadmill
- Suitable for small and medium dogs up to 25” in length
- Running speed of 0.5-7.5 MPH
- Automatic safety switch off
- Incline of 5-9 degrees
Best Budget-Friendly Dog Treadmill – There are a few features on this SHELANDY dog treadmill that make it stand out from the rest. The first is an extraordinary safety shut off feature. After 30 minutes the treadmill will automatically shut off. This will ensure that your pup stays safe. Accidents happen, but this incredibly beneficial feature provides piece of mind for dog parents.
The second special feature is the harness attachment. A support bar is connected to the treadmill which holds a D-ring for attaching a harness. The treadmill actually comes with everything you need to use the harness. This is another safety benefit that will keep your dog from getting hurt or falling. Speeds on this pet treadmill range from 0.5 MPH to 7.5 MPH. The incline can also be adjusted from 5 to 9 degrees. The SHELANDY dog treadmill comes at a great price for those pet parents on a budget.
- Automatic safety turn off at 30 minutes
- Multiple speed and incline options
- Harness support for safety
- This pet treadmill isn’t as highly used as other pet treadmills, so other pet parent opinions on this product are few and far between.
3 More Top Dog Treadmills
Go Pet Petrun Pr700 Dog Treadmill
This dog treadmill from Petrun is best for dogs up to 44lbs. The low running platform allows small and senior dogs to hop on the unit easily and without fear. The motor and drive system are designed to be quieter than other units. We like that the Petrun dog treadmill comes with a wireless remote control to adjust the speed from afar. It’s also equipped with a safety lock system on the remote and unit itself. Fellow dog parents report that this treadmill is indeed quiet and high-quality.
GoPet Treadwheel for Large Dogs
This dog treadwheel is an alternative to using a standard dog treadmill. The movement is powered by your dog’ running, so it does not have a motor of any kind. Think of it like a giant hamster wheel. While the design is sleek and attractive, this sort of manual treadmill may not be suitable for all dogs. The GoPet treadwheel is very expensive, so it’s best to have an idea about if your dog will take to this type of machine. This treadwheel can also be used for cats or a couple of small dogs at a time.
DogTread Small Dog Treadmill
The small dog treadmill from DogTread was designed with tiny pooches in mind. It doesn’t have any gaps or holes where your dog’s paws could accidentally get stuck or hurt. The sturdy treadmill folds up and can be maneuvered via transportation wheels. A recessed treat holder allows you to positively reinforce your dog’s brave behavior when training them to use the treadmill. A low training fence will keep your small dog comfortable and feeling secure when getting their exercise. This dog treadmill comes with a remote control, and a safety start and stop option.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can dogs use human treadmills? – For the purpose of your dog’s safety, no, they shouldn’t use a human treadmill. Dog treadmills are built with your dog’s safety in mind, and they are constructed to ensure they are safe at all times. Human treadmills have no way of keeping your dog safe and secure while exercising. Human treadmills also have a shorter running track since our gait isn’t as wide as a dog’s. Please don’t put your dog on a human treadmill to save money. You could put their life at risk.
- How long can a dog run on a treadmill? – If your dog is new to using a treadmill, start with super short sessions of about 30 seconds to one minute. Once your pup is fully comfortable and trained on the unit, exercise sessions should not exceed 30 minutes.
- Are treadmills good for dogs? – A dog treadmill offers your pup the mental and physical stimulation that they may not be otherwise getting depending on your circumstances. They are a beneficial tool in helping your pup lose weight, burn off energy or heal from an injury.
While dog treadmills aren’t cheap, they are a premium option for getting your dog the exercise and stimulation they need to thrive. It’s important that you consider everything we discussed so you get the most effective treadmill for your furry friend. We also suggest reading any warranty information and return policies before making your final purchase.