8 Best Dog Toothpastes With Our 2023 Budget-Friendly Pick
- What is the Best Toothpaste for Dogs?
- 5 Benefits of Brushing Your Dog’s Teeth With Dog Toothpaste
- Tips for Brushing Your Dog’s Teeth
- 5 Components to Look for in a Dog Toothpaste
- Overall Best Dog Toothpaste
- More Top Dog Toothpaste Recommendations
- Frequently Asked Questions
Brushing your dog’s teeth is as important as brushing your own. Just like humans, poor dental hygiene in dogs can lead to a slew of health problems. Thankfully oral health care is easy to maintain, and a great tooth brushing routine begins with a quality dog toothpaste.
35% Off at Chewy.com
+ Free ShippingSave Now
It’s crucial that you use a dog toothpaste to brush your pup’s teeth, rather than using a human product. Later in this article we will discuss why that is. We also share our dog toothpaste recommendations, as well as tips for brushing your dog’s teeth. Let’s begin!
What is the Best Toothpaste for Dogs?
- Sentry Petrodex Veterinary Strength Enzymatic Poultry Flavor Dog Toothpaste
- Virbac C.E.T. Tartar Control Beef Flavor Dog Toothpaste
- Arm & Hammer Dental Fresh Breath Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste
- Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Enzadent Enzymatic Poultry Flavored Toothpaste for Dogs
- Vet’s Best Dental Gel Toothpaste
- Oratene Brushless Enzymatic Oral Care Therapy Dental Gel for Dogs
- TropiClean Fresh Breath Clean Teeth Oral Care Dog Brushing Gel
- Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Tartar Control Dog Toothpaste
5 Benefits of Brushing Your Dog’s Teeth With Dog Toothpaste
Daily oral care is important for your dog’s overall health and well-being. Not only is it important to brush your dog’s teeth regularly, but it’s crucial that you do so with a dog toothpaste. Here we list some benefits of brushing your pup’s teeth with a suitable toothpaste:
- Removes plaque and tartar: Perhaps the most obvious benefit of using dog toothpaste is the fact that it removes plaque and tarter from your pup’s teeth. While the paste works to clean your dog’s teeth, many dog toothpastes also prevent plaque from forming in the future.
- Prevents dental disease: 1 in 3 dogs will have dental disease by the age of 3. If you start brushing your dog’s teeth at a young age, it’s much less likely that they will suffer from dental disease. Not only does dental disease cause bad breath, but it can also be extremely painful and your dog may end up needing teeth removed at some point.
- Freshens breath: If your dog enjoys snuggling with you or being close at all times, you will unfortunately notice when they have bad breath. Brushing your dog’s teeth with a good toothpaste will freshen their breath so you won’t mind cuddling with them again!
- Human toothpaste can be deadly: Yes, that’s right. Using human toothpaste in your dog’s mouth can be extremely toxic. Often times toothpaste made for humans contains Xylitol. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener which can severely damage your dog’s liver, potentially killing them. Never use a human toothpaste to brush your pup’s teeth!
- Save money: Dogs with serious oral health issues may need teeth removed or other more serious procedures. Brushing your dog’s teeth and helping them maintain a healthy mouth can save you thousands of dollars on potentially avoidable veterinary bills.
Tips for Brushing Your Dog’s Teeth
Brushing your dog’s teeth should be a fairly simple process, but it doesn’t always work out that way. Dogs can be very resistant to you working near or in their mouth. Here we provide some tips for brushing your dog’s teeth at home.
- Use a toothbrush specifically designed for dogs. They are built at an angle and with features that help reach every tooth in your pup’s mouth.
- Never use human toothpaste to brush your dog’s teeth. It can be toxic and deadly.
- Allow your dog to taste the toothpaste from your finger first. You can act as though it’s a delicious treat!
- Start slowly by lifting one of your dog’s teeth and exposing the gums. Always go at a pace that you and your dog are comfortable with.
- Take a break if your dog needs one.
- If your dog is sitting still and being well-behaved, treat them after their teeth brushing or offer a play session with their favorite toy. Positive reinforcement is key!
Now let’s look at some important components that you’ll want to consider when selecting the best dog toothpaste.
5 Components to Look for in a Dog Toothpaste
Picking out a toothpaste for yourself can be confusing because there are so many options available. The same can be said for dog toothpastes. It’s great to have choices, but how do you pick one? Consider the components below to make your final selection:
- Non-foaming formula: The best type of dog toothpaste to buy is a formula that doesn’t contain any foaming agents. A dog toothpaste that doesn’t foam will be safe to swallow and it won’t require rinsing, which is an extremely beneficial feature.
- Enzymes: Many dog toothpastes are enzymatic formulas. This means that the toothpaste contains enzymes which are very effective in removing plaque and tartar from your dog’s teeth.
- Flavor: Most dog toothpastes have some sort of flavor so your dog won’t mind it at all! Some popular flavors are poultry, beef and salmon. Some dog toothpastes are available in multiple flavor options, while others can only be purchased in one flavor.
- Toothpaste tube size: Generally there are a couple of dog toothpaste tube sizes. If you have several dogs or a large dog, you may want to select a larger tube of toothpaste when available.
- Type and consistency: Some dog toothpastes come in a gel consistency, while others are more of a paste. There are also pastes that can be used on a toothbrush and some that you just apply to your dog’s gums. Brushing with a toothbrush will be most effective, but we understand that your dog may have an irrational fear of the brush itself.
Overall Best Dog Toothpaste
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Toothpaste for Dogs|
|Sentry Petrodex Veterinary Strength Enzymatic Poultry Flavor Dog Toothpaste
|Virbac C.E.T. Tartar Control Beef Flavor Dog Toothpaste
|Arm & Hammer Dental Fresh Breath Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste
|Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Enzadent Enzymatic Poultry Flavored Toothpaste For Dogs
|Vet’s Best Dental Gel Toothpaste
|Oratene Brushless Enzymatic Oral Care Therapy Dental Gel For Dogs
|TropiClean Fresh Breath Clean Teeth Oral Care Dog Brushing Gel
|Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Tartar Control Dog Toothpaste
Sentry Petrodex Veterinary Strength Enzymatic Poultry Flavor Dog Toothpaste
- Veterinary strength
- Poultry flavor
- Freshens breath and cleans teeth
- Controls plaque and tartar
This poultry flavored dog toothpaste from Sentry Petrodex is our overall favorite pick. This veterinary-grade toothpaste is formulated specifically for dogs. It effectively cleans your dog’s teeth while controlling tartar and plaque. Using this toothpaste on your canine pal will freshen their breath, and regular brushing will continue to prevent bad breath.
There is no need to rinse your dog’s mouth after brushing their teeth with Sentry Petrodex toothpaste, as it’s not a foaming formula. This benefit makes brushing your pup’s teeth less stressful. Your dog is sure to enjoy the poultry flavor of this toothpaste, and it’s available in two tube sizes to best suit your needs.
- Removes tartar and plaque, and further prevents it
- Veterinary recommended
- Delicious poultry flavor
- Freshens breath
- Non-foaming formula doesn’t require rinsing
- Only available in poultry flavor
Virbac C.E.T. Tartar Control Beef Flavor Dog Toothpaste
- Formulated for dogs and cats
- Strengthened enzyme system effectively fights tartar and plaque
- Beef flavor
- Does not foam
Runner-Up Best Dog Toothpaste – Virbac is one of the leading pet oral health care brands. We highly recommend their dog toothpastes, and this one takes our runner-up spot. This toothpaste is beef flavored for those pups who may have taste preferences. We like that this product is strengthened via an enzyme system which removes plaque and tartar while preventing further growth.
Virbac tartar control dog toothpaste doesn’t contain any foaming agents so it’s safe for ingestion. It’s clinically proven to be effective in promoting fantastic oral health care in both dogs and cats. This dog toothpaste comes highly recommended from other dog parents who report that their dogs absolutely love the taste, making it easier to routinely brush their dog’s pearly whites.
- Suitable for use on dogs or cats of any age
- Comes from a long line of veterinary grade products
- Does not contain foaming properties
- Beef flavor
- Effectively fights tartar and plaque
- Only available in one size, which is a 2.5oz tube
Arm & Hammer Dental Fresh Breath Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste
- Contains baking soda to clean teeth and gums
- Chicken flavor and mint scent
- Prevents tartar build up
- Actively whitens your dog’s teeth
Best Budget-Friendly Dog Toothpaste – Arm & Hammer uses the tried-and-true ingredient of baking soda to add strength and effectiveness to their dog toothpaste. Baking soda is a helpful element because it reduces odor and whitens teeth naturally. Arm & Hammer dog toothpaste will clean and deodorize your pup’s mouth so it will be kissable once again!
Your dog will love the chicken flavor of this toothpaste, and dog parents will enjoy the minty fresh scent. This dog toothpaste contains enzymes which prevent tartar build up so your dog will have healthy teeth and gums for years to come. Arm & Hammer enzymatic toothpaste for dogs is extremely affordable and it’s offered in multiple flavors. This particular toothpaste is meant for use on adult dogs only.
- Ingredients kill bacteria to prevent bad breath
- Chicken flavor and mint scented
- Baking soda whitens and deodorizes your pup’s teeth and mouth
- Available in several flavors
- This toothpaste only comes in one size
- Only formulated for dogs, so you’ll need a different toothpaste for your kitty friends
More Top Dog Toothpaste Recommendations
Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Enzadent Enzymatic Poultry Flavored Toothpaste for Dogs
Vetoquinol is another veterinary-grade pet brand that we absolutely love. Their enzymatic dog toothpaste will remove plaque and tartar while helping to keep your pet’s teeth clean. This is a non-foaming toothpaste formula and it can be used on feline and canine friends. Vetoquinol dog toothpaste is poultry flavored and safe for your dog to swallow. It’s made grain-free in the USA, and other pet parents highly recommend it.
Vet’s Best Dental Gel Toothpaste
Another great budget-friendly dog toothpaste is this gel formula from Vet’s Best. It is veterinary recommended, and it contains anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which help fight odor-causing bacteria. Ingredients such as neem oil, grapefruit seed and aloe work together to create a gentle yet strong gel to help keep your pup’s teeth strong and healthy. This dog toothpaste will do it all – clean and support healthy teeth and gums, as well as whitening teeth and freshening breath.
Oratene Brushless Enzymatic Oral Care Therapy Dental Gel for Dogs
If you need to brush your dog’s teeth but trying to use a brush is too challenging of a task, we suggest giving this Oratene brushless toothpaste a try. It is a clear gel that works to kill odor-causing bacteria and remove plaque from the teeth. If your dog suffers from a dry mouth or lack of saliva production, this brushless dog toothpaste will offer relief. The gel is to be applied on your dog or cat’s gums every day for the best results. This dog toothpaste is made in the USA.
TropiClean Fresh Breath Clean Teeth Oral Care Dog Brushing Gel
The TropiClean dog gel toothpaste is a veterinary-recommended formula made with some natural ingredients. The gel breaks down plaque and tartar to give your dog’s pearly whites the ultimate cleaning. Real spearmint will freshen your dog’s breath while other ingredients keep your pup’s teeth and gums healthy. This gel toothpaste is specifically formulated for dogs.
Nylabone Advanced Oral Care Tartar Control Dog Toothpaste
This dog toothpaste from Nylabone is the most affordable on our list. It’s made in the USA with Dental-C, an element that is proven to reduce and prevent the growth of plaque which harbors bacteria. The toothpaste cleans teeth and gums while freshening breath. This Nylabone dog toothpaste comes in two flavors, and there’s a formula made for senior dogs as well. The toothpaste is non-foaming, eliminating any extra mess. It’s recommended for use on dogs only.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use human toothpaste to brush my dog’s teeth? – No, no, no. Human toothpaste may contain ingredients that can be toxic if ingested by your dog. A common ingredient in human toothpaste is Xylitol. This artificial sweetener can cause liver and other organ failure. It’s not worth the risk when you can buy a $3 dog toothpaste!
- How often should I brush my dog’s teeth? – Ideally it’s best to brush your dog’s teeth every single day. Worst case scenario, brushing your dog’s teeth three times weekly should suffice.
- When should you start brushing your dog’s teeth? – Like other training, it’s best to start brushing your dog’s teeth when they are 8-16 weeks old. The younger they are, the better. Use positive reinforcement training to get your pup acclimated to routine teeth brushing, and be sure to use a super flavorful toothpaste!
- Is enzymatic toothpaste safe for dogs? – Yes, as long as the toothpaste is specifically formulated for our canine pals. Enzymatic toothpaste contains ingredients that remove plaque and tartar while preventing it further.
Brushing your dog’s teeth isn’t exactly a fun task, but it is a necessary one. Brushing their teeth now will save you a lot of money on vet visits and procedures in the future. Invest in a quality dog toothpaste now so your pup can live a long life with a full mouth of healthy teeth!