- What is the Best Cat Litter for Odor Control?
- 5 Benefits of Using Cat Litter for Odor Control
- Other Options for Fighting Cat Litter Odor
- 5 Components to Look for in a Good Odor Control Cat Litter
- Overall Best Odor Control Litter
- 4 More Top Rated Cat Litters for Smell
- Frequently Asked Questions
The first step to creating a delightful cat litter box experience for your cats (and your household) is to choose a good cat litter for odor control. Using a high-quality kitty litter that offers odor absorption properties will keep everything under control when it comes to your cat making a pit stop at their box. While it’s important to clean your cat’s box regularly, a great cat litter can make the process easier.
We’ve developed a list of the best smelling cat litters for odor control, which includes our top budget-friendly pick. We’re confident that our recommendations will help you maintain a clean litter box area for your cats, while keeping their bodies and noses healthy. First we start by discussing the benefits of using an odor control kitty litter.
What is the Best Cat Litter for Odor Control?
- Okocat Super Soft Clumping Wood Cat Litter
- Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Attract Litter – Most Popular
- Frisco Unscented Odor Defense Clumping Cat Litter – Most Affordable
- Scoop Away Clean Breeze Scent Extra Strength
- Arm & Hammer Litter Multi-Cat Clump & Seal MicroGuard
- Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Ultra Odor Control
- Tidy Cats Scoop Glade Tough Odor Solutions Clumping Cat Litter
5 Benefits of Using Cat Litter for Odor Control
We cannot think of a circumstance where an odor control kitty litter wouldn’t be a good idea. After all, no one wants their home smelling like cats, especially if you have a mini kitty crew to look after. So let’s take a look at some of the most notable benefits of using a cat litter for odor control.
- Overall clean smell: If you keep your cat litter boxes maintained and use an odor control cat litter, your litter area will remain smelling fresh. The last thing you want is to cringe in disgust when walking past your cat’s boxes. And if you smell it, so do your guests…
- Reduce ammonia smell: The smell of ammonia emanating from your cat’s litter box is extremely potent and rancid. A kitty litter for odor control contains elements which eliminate the smell of ammonia and continue to protect against it.
- Healthier for your cat: Cats have a keener sense of smell than humans do. If you can smell your cat’s litter box, it’s even worse for your cats. Keeping a clean, odorless kitty litter box means you are also keeping your cat from inhaling the smells associated with their elimination.
- Prevents bacteria: Odor fighting cat litters often come formulated with bacteria fighting technology. When bacteria isn’t growing in your cat’s litter box, it smells better and it’s obviously much healthier for your kitty.
- Happy guests: If you enjoy having guests over to your home, it’s absolutely a great idea to use a kitty litter for odor control. You want your home smelling fresh and delightful when your company arrives. Use an odor control cat litter to keep your home free of unpleasant aromas.
Other Options for Fighting Cat Litter Odor
While using a cat litter for odor control is highly recommended for maintaining a fresh household, there are some other things you can do to keep everything smelling clean.
- Scoop your cat’s litter box 1-2 times a day
- Completely change the litter and clean the box once every 2 weeks
- Use a scented litter
- Purchase a high-quality kitty litter
- Use a covered litter box if your cat is comfortable with the concept
- Consider a self-cleaning litter box (although you will still need to hand clean it occasionally)
Maintaining a clean litter box will not only be best for your cat’s health and potty habits, but it will keep your home smelling of your cat’s waste. Next we look at some important components that you’ll want to take into consideration when choosing a good odor control kitty litter.
5 Components to Look for in a Good Odor Control Cat Litter
There seem to be endless odor control cat litter options lining shelves today. When making your final decision on a cat litter for odor control, look for the following components:
- Clumping control: A clumping cat litter helps with odor control because it neatly gathers your cat’s waste into one solid clump. Not only does this assist in scooping your cat’s box, but it also helps dispose of your cat’s elimination without leaving remnants behind.
- Material: Some cat litter materials are better for odor control than others. Walnut, paper, silica crystals and wood are said to be some of the most absorbent types of cat litter. Clay can also be super absorbent if it’s high quality and contains odor fighting properties.
- Scented: Just because a kitty litter is scented doesn’t mean it will eliminate odors – the scent will simply mask them. However, if you get a proper odor fighting cat litter with a fresh scent, it can potentially help your cat’s litter box area smell more pleasant.
- Low dust: Dust free or low dust cat litters will keep your kitty’s litter box space looking and smelling cleaner. If you cat isn’t kicking up dusty residue, the scent and particles won’t fly into the air or onto surrounding walls or furniture.
- Biodegradable: If you want to be a friend to the environment, it’s a great idea to purchase a biodegradable kitty litter. Natural cat litters (like wood, paper and walnut) are biodegradable, and they won’t sit in a landfill forever like clay cat litter will. Luckily, natural biodegradable cat litters are often the best for odor control!
It’s time to dig into our recommendations for best odor absorbing cat litter.
Overall Best Odor Control Litter
|Our 2019 Picks: Best Cat Litter for Odor Control|
|Okocat Super Soft Clumping Wood Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Attract Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Unscented Odor Defense Clumping Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|NaturVet Aller 911 Allergy Aid Skin Care Plus Aloe Vera Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Arm & Hammer Litter Multi-Cat Clump & Seal MicroGuard||CHECK PRICE|
|Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Ultra Odor Control Multi-Cat||CHECK PRICE|
|Tidy Cats Scoop Glade Tough Odor Solutions Clumping Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
- Biodegradable and flushable
- Small granules are gentle on paws
- Odor Shield Technology for superior odor control
- High absorbency
This Okocat clumping litter has everything you could possibly want in an excellent odor control cat litter. The granules are made from 100% reclaimed fibers, making it environmentally-friendly. Whether you choose to flush this litter or toss it in the trash, it is biodegradable and won’t harm our planet. Even the packaging is compostable. Every cat parent can appreciate that!
Okocat Super Soft Clumping Wood Cat litter was built with Odor Shield Technology, which was designed to control odors for up to seven days. The litter itself is high absorbency, and will bind and trap liquid, moisture and odor on contact. We like that it takes less litter to create hard clumps with Okocat, so you will waste less litter and save money in the end.
This lightweight litter is easy to carry and pour, and the tiny pellets are soft on your cat’s paws. The gentle, fine texture will be great for kittens, senior cats and cats with sensitive paws. We recommend this Okocat litter for ultimate odor control, multi-cat households, and cats with delicate paws. Basically, it’s a great option no matter what your circumstances are!
- Super soft for delicate paws
- Superior odor control for multi-cat homes
- High yield and absorbency
- Not recommended for cats with long hair
- Premium odor control
- Dust free
- Herbal scent to attract cats to use the litter box
- Veterinarian formulated
- Hard clumping formula
Runner-Up Best Smelling Cat Litter for Odor Control: Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Attract Litter offers several benefits, but the two that we love are the herbal scent to attract cats to properly use their litter box and the superior odor control. The small particle size will be soft on your kitty’s paws, while the natural scent will attract cats to use it. But even if your cat doesn’t have an issue using the litter box, this Dr. Elsey’s litter is wonderful for odor control.
This is a top rated odor control cat litter among pet parents. Hard clumps are created immediately after your cat makes a stop at their litter box, immediately absorbing liquid and all odors associated with it. This characteristic makes the cat litter excellent for an entire kitty crew. Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Attract Litter is dust free and can be used in mechanical litter boxes.
- Superior odor control
- Attractant for cats training to use the litter box
- Excellent clumping properties
- Dust free
- Can be used in sifting or mechanical litter boxes
- Not eco-friendly
- Odor defense system to reduce ammonia smell
- Odor control without fragrances or perfumes
- Fast clumping action
- Good for multi-cat households
Best Budget-Friendly Kitty Litter for Odor Control: This cat litter may be budget-friendly but you get a whole lot of benefits for an excellent price with this Frisco odor control litter. It’s built with a patented odor defense system which works around the clock to reduce ammonia. Ammonia is the leading cause of strong litter box odors, and this cat litter will help protect your home from unpleasant smells.
Frisco odor control cat litter is unscented and low dust, making it a good choice for sensitive cats. It’s great for homes with several cats, and quick clumping action will help keep everything under control in the litter box. Not only will you save money with this cat litter, but you will also save energy trying to cover up undesirable litter box odors. This fantastic Frisco kitty litter for odor control is low tracking and great for mechanical litter boxes.
- Excellent odor defense system
- Quick clumping
- Excellent for homes with multiple cats
- Low dust formula
- Not environmentally-friendly
4 More Top Rated Cat Litters for Smell
This Scoop Away cat litter is a budget-friendly choice that offers extra strength odor control. The clumping litter is formulated with Ammonia Shield to not only destroy intense odors but also prevent the growth of bacteria. There aren’t any harsh chemicals or toxins in this Scoop Away cat litter. Instead there are plant extracts to trap and eliminate troublesome odors. Maximum odor control and clumping strength make this litter excellent for multi-cat homes.
Arm & Hammer cat litter integrates the tried and true method of using baking soda to eliminate odors in their different litters. This particular clumping litter also uses MicroGuard, a process which helps prevent the growth of bacterial odor. A blend of micro-granules form tight clumps to lock in odors, while the baking soda works to destroy those odors. MicroGuard then works to prevent future bacterial growth and associated unpleasant smells. This Arm & Hammer litter is low dust and the ultra-tiny granules will be soft on kitty’s paws.
This Naturally Fresh walnut-based litter is a great eco-friendly odor control cat litter. It’s made from renewable resources, which are biodegradable, and doesn’t contain any chemicals or toxins. Walnut is said to absorb odors better than other natural materials due to the blend of fibrous material found in the shells. Naturally Fresh odor control cat litter is low tracking and dust free. It’s great for multi-cat households because it offers hard clumping action for easy cleanup and maximum odor control. We highly recommend this cat litter for parents who want an environmentally-friendly option which offers superior odor control.
Glade has come together with Tidy Cats to bring you this odor-fighting cat litter solution. This clumping cat litter works hard to neutralize and eliminate odors through TidyLock technology. The litter is formulated for households with multiple cats via the clumping properties and odor control defenses. Tidy Cats Glad Tough Odor Solutions cat litter is cost-effective, easy to cleanup and will bring a hint of Glade freshness to your litter box area.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is scented kitty litter bad for cats? – Cats have extremely sensitive noses, which is one of the reasons why it’s so important to keep their litter box clean. If your cat has allergies, asthma or respiratory issues, it’s probably not best to use a scented cat litter, as it may cause more irritation. While scented cat litter isn’t necessarily bad for cats, it’s important to note if your cat starts to show signs of sneezing, coughing or other respiratory concerns if you switch to a scented cat litter, you may want to reconsider.
- How do you deodorize kitty litter? – Basic maintenance of your kitty litter box should keep it from smelling. If you scoop it daily and completely clean the litter box once every two weeks or so, you will avoid extreme odors. If odor continues to be a problem with basic maintenance, try switching the cat litter to a different material, or a more high-quality option. If switching litter doesn’t work, you may need a new litter box altogether. You can also add a bit of baking soda to your cat’s litter box to help reduce odor. If the litter box continues to smell after all of those changes, your cat may need veterinary attention if their elimination reeks.
- Will an air purifier help with cat litter smell? – An air purifier can potentially help with smell if places near (not in) your cat’s litter box area.
Cat litters for odor control are the most popular type of cat litter, and it’s no wonder why! They help maintain an odorless safe area for your cat, which is the most important. An odor control cat litter also keeps your home smelling fresh, a benefit for guests and family members who have allergies or asthma. We know that the cat litters for odor control that we’ve recommended will work well for controlling and eliminating any troublesome kitty odors in your house.
Remember to keep your cat’s litter box in a well-ventilated area, as this will also assist in odor control. Thoroughly wash your hands after cleaning and handling cat litter to avoid spreading dangerous bacteria.