- What is the Best Scented Cat Litter?
- 4 Benefits of Using a Scented Cat Litter
- Scented vs. Unscented Litter
- 6 Components to Look for in a Scented Cat Litter
- Overall Best Scented Cat Litter
- More Top Scented Cat Litter Picks
- Frequently Asked Questions
As fellow pet parents, we know how easy it is to get caught up in the wide variety of cat products available to us. With a multitude of cat litters to choose from, it can be difficult to come to a final decision. Scented cat litters are great because they are often effective in odor control while leaving a pleasant fragrance behind.
Newly invented scented cat litters work a little differently than you may be used to. When you open a box or bag of litter, you will no longer be greeted by a cloud of fragrance. Often times, scented litters are designed with paw or moisture-activated granules which release a scent upon use. This helps keep the fragrance from becoming too overpowering. In this article we will share other benefits of using a scented litter, then offer a list of phenomenal scented cat litter recommendations.
What is the Best Scented Cat Litter?
- Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Scented Cat Litter – Overall Best & Most Popular
- Fresh Step Extreme Odor Control Scented Cat Litter
- Frisco Tropical Breeze Scent Multi-Cat Clumping – Best Value
- Scoop Away Multi-Cat Meadow Fresh Scent Clumping
- Arm & Hammer Litter Multi-Cat Clump & Seal MicroGuard
- World’s Best Cat Litter Lavender Scented Multiple Cat
- Tidy Cats Lightweight Glade Tough Odor Solutions
4 Benefits of Using a Scented Cat Litter
Besides the obvious benefits of using a scented cat litter, there are a few others to consider:
- Traps odors: Scented cat litters are typically designed with for superior odor control. They work to trap and contain unpleasant odors to keep your home smelling fresh.
- Smells less like litter: You know that stale litter smell? It can be gross. A scented litter will add a hint of freshness to your cat’s litter area, which humans will definitely appreciate.
- Contains extreme litter smells: If you have ever experienced a litter box overrun with ammonia smell, you know how poignant it can be. And if you can smell it, your cat can too. Scented cat litters will assist in eliminating ammonia smell, and help the box smell better.
- Helps your home smell better: Scented litters are typically good at containing odors and preventing further smell.
Scented vs. Unscented Litter
While there have been scientific studies conducted to determine whether or not a cat prefers scented litter, the findings have been inconclusive. There’s no major discrepancy in cats using a scented litter rather than an unscented option. We do know that if a scent is overpowering for you, it’s most likely too much for your cat to handle as well.
6 Components to Look for in a Scented Cat Litter
There are a ton of scented cat litters available to choose from. Look into the following components when determining which scented litter will be best for your feline family:
- Anti-microbial agents: Many scented cat litters are created with anti-microbial agents. These elements help prevent bacteria from growing in your cat’s litter box. Bacterial growth will cause unpleasant odor box smells. If you can find a litter with ammonia blocking ingredients, your litter is less likely to smell like urine and feces.
- Moisture activated scent: Most of the scented litters on our list of recommendations have a paw or moisture activated scent. This means that the fragrance will be released only when your cat uses their box.
- Odor eliminating ingredients: For superior odor control, consider purchasing a litter which contains baking soda, ammonia blocker or anti-microbial agents.
- Material: Clay litters are the most common scented litters. If you are looking for a natural fragrance, pine, corn and wood often smell of their natural material.
- Clumping or non-clumping: Non-clumping litter is often better for moisture absorption, but clumping litter is by far easier to clean and scoop on a regular basis. Whether you choose a clumping or non-clumping litter is completely up to you, and your cat!
- Herbal attractant: Some cat litters are created with a natural herbal attractant. This ingredient encourages your cat to use their litter box, in case they are a kitten in training or they are an adult who’s stopped using the box.
It’s time to get into our scented cat litter recommendations!
Overall Best Scented Cat Litter
|Our 2020 Picks: Best Cat Litters that are Scented|
|Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Ultra Scented Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Fresh Step Extreme Odor Control Scented Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Tropical Breeze Scent Multi-Cat Clumping Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Scoop Away Multi-Cat Meadow Fresh Scent Clumping Cat Litter||CHECK PRICE|
|Arm & Hammer Litter Multi-Cat Clump & Seal MicroGuard||CHECK PRICE|
|World’s Best Cat Litter Lavender Scented Multiple Cat||CHECK PRICE|
|Tidy Cats Lightweight Glade Tough Odor Solutions ||CHECK PRICE|
- Moisture activated scent release
- Formulated by a veterinarian
- Multi-cat formula
- Heavy, non-tracking granules
What we like most about this scented cat litter from Dr. Elsey’s is that you won’t inhale a massive cloud of fragrance when you open up the container. Instead, this clay litter is formulated to only release a scent upon contact with moisture. So, what exactly does this mean? The litter box will initially smell fresh and clean. When your kitty takes a pit stop at their box, the granules will then become activated and release a delightful scent.
Dr. Elsey’s cat litters are veterinary formulated. This one is a clumping formula so it’s easy to scoop and maintain. The multi-cat strength means that odor absorption will be substantial, and cleaning the box will be a breeze. Dr. Elsey’s scented litter is made from heavier granules that won’t track like small grains will. It’s also 99% dust free, so humans and kitties in your home can all breathe more easily.
- Doesn’t have an overpowering scent
- Dust free
- Veterinary formulated
- Moisture activated scent granules
- Non-tracking formula
- This litter is dust free, but not hypoallergenic
- Febreze Mountain Spring scent
- Formulated with Ammonia Block Technology
- Clumping formula
- Built for multi-cat homes
Runner-Up Best Scented Cat Litter: This multi-cat strength litter from Fresh Step contains paw-activated scent granules. Febreze and Fresh Step have partnered together to bring you a litter which is tough on odors and adds a hint of freshness with Mountain Spring scent. With every swipe of your cat’s paw, a pleasant fragrance will be released.
Fresh Step scented cat litter has clumping properties to make scooping your cat’s litter box an easy task. The litter is built with Ammonia Block Technology to ensure the most effective containment of odors. Since this is a multi-cat strength cat litter, it will be especially efficient in trapping odors immediately creating tight clumps.
- Scent activated with every swipe of your cat’s paw
- Ammonia Block Technology for continued odor control
- Multi-cat clumping strength
- Febreze helps to control unpleasant odors
- Not biodegradable or eco-friendly
- Affordable for all budgets
- Low-tracking formula is soft on paws
- Tropical Breeze scent works with odor-neutralizing technology to control unpleasant smells
- Fine, dirt-like texture
Best Budget-Friendly Scented Cat Litter: Frisco Tropical Breeze scented cat litter has a dirt-like consistency which is great for homes with more than one cat. Not only is the litter extremely gentle on paws, but it also won’t track like standard litters will. This clumping litter will be easy to maintain and scoop, whether you have a traditional or automatic litter box.
Don’t worry about the Tropical Breeze scent being too overpowering – the fragrance is only activated when your cat uses their litter box. Frisco scented cat litter offers around-the-clock odor control through a unique deodorizing system. We like that this scented cat litter is cost-effective and has benefits such as low-tracking granules and comfortable texture for sensitive cat paws.
- Fine, dirt-like texture is soft and will track less
- Great for multi-cat households
- Activated granules release Tropical Breeze scent
- Excellent for sifting or mechanical litter boxes
- Standard clay litter is not an eco-friendly option
More Top Scented Cat Litter Picks
This clumping clay cat litter is lightly scented with a Meadow Fresh fragrance to help maintain a pleasant litter box space for your kitty. It’s made with anti-microbial agents for premium odor control. Since this Scoop Away scented cat litter is a tight clumping formula, it will be easy for you to scoop the box regularly. We like that this litter is cost-effective and a great choice for homes with multiple feline friends. Scoop Away scented litter is also available in Clean Breeze scent.
Arm & Hammer scented litter uses the tried and true method of implementing baking soda for superior odor control, while leaving Fresh Scent behind. This litter has moisture-activated granules that will ensure that nasty odors aren’t escaping your cat’s box, and their area stays smelling clean. Arm & Hammer scented cat litter is created with MicroGuard technology which prevents odor-causing bacteria from forming. This is a great clumping litter for multi-cat households, as it’s easy to maintain and affordable.
If you’re looking for a biodegradable scented cat litter, we love this one from World’s Best. This eco-friendly litter is made from compressed corn, and it’s lightly scented with natural lavender oil. The litter is 99% dust free for sensitive kitties. Looking to ditch trash bags when cleaning your cat’s litter box? World’s Best scented cat litter is safe to flush via septic or sewer system! This lavender scented cat litter is great for multi-cat homes because it offers natural clumping action and superior odor control without chemicals or toxins.
Want a scented cat litter without all that extra weight? Try this lightweight clay litter from Tidy Cats. It’s formulated with Glade Clear Springs scent to bring you an effective odor solutions litter. Glade Tough Odor Solutions is built into this clay litter to lock in moisture and trap unpleasant odors, while Tidy Lock prevents foul ammonia smells. We love that this scented litter is 50% lighter than traditional clay, so you no longer have to worry about lugging around massive containers. You can pick up this Tidy Cats scented litter for double the strength at half the weight!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is scented litter bad for cats? – There have been several scientific studies conducted to determine whether or not scented litter is bad for cats. As long as your litter doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals or fragrances, scented litter typically isn’t bad for cats. However, there have been a few research studies which have determined that cats are more likely to stray away from citrus scents. If you have a cat with allergies or respiratory sensitivities, an unscented litter may be best.
- How often should I clean my cat’s litter box? – You should ideally scoop your cat’s litter box daily. To maintain a clean litter box, completely disinfect it and change out the litter once every two weeks or so. Non-clumping litters or paper pellets may need to be changed out more frequently.
- How much litter should I put in my cat’s litter box? – The general rule of thumb is to maintain 2-3 inches of litter in your cat’s box. Long-haired cats may prefer less litter (1-2 inches) so it doesn’t get matted in their fur. Some cats may prefer more or less litter. Cat parents simply need to be observant of litter box behavior to make that determination.
- What can I do to deodorize my cat’s litter box? – Cleaning and disinfecting your cat’s litter box will deodorize it. Replacing old litter with new litter will give it a fresh smell and eliminate odors that may have been stuck to the litter box. You can also sprinkle baking soda in your cat’s litter box for natural odor control.
There are plenty of excellent scented cat litters to choose from. Whatever needs your cat has, there’s a scented litter that will work well for them. If you take into consideration the components that we discussed, you’re certain to choose a cat litter that will be healthy and safe for your beloved feline friend.
Remember to clean your cat’s litter box and their dedicated space frequently to reduce and eliminate unwanted smells. After cleaning or scooping your cat’s litter box, always thoroughly wash your hands with soap and warm water, as cat feces can transmit harmful bacteria.