- What Is Best Dog Crate For Chihuahua?
- 4 Benefits of Using a Crate for Your Chihuahua
- How to Choose the Best Size Crate for Your Chihuahua
- Popular Types of Crates for Chihuahuas
- Overall Best Crates for Chihuahuas in 2022
- More Top Chihuahua Crates
Chihuahuas are incredibly loyal companions who enjoy being with their humans on a consistent basis. But that doesn’t mean they don’t enjoy a den-like space where they can escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Having a crate for your Chihuahua is extremely important, and in this article we’ll discuss why that is.
With so many different crates available for your pampered pooch, it can be challenging to determine which one will be the best for your pup. There are several factors that go into choosing the proper crate for your Chihuahua, and in this guide we’ll break those down. We also share our favorite Chihuahua crates that will suit a variety of lifestyles.
What Is Best Dog Crate For Chihuahua?
4 Benefits of Using a Crate for Your Chihuahua
Whether you just adopted a Chihuahua puppy or you’re giving a senior a second chance at life, a crate should be a must-have item on your pet parent list. Here’s why:
- Helps to potty train your Chihuahua: Chihuahua are notorious for being difficult to potty train, but using a crate is extremely helpful for the process. You just have to make sure that you don’t buy a crate that is TOO big for your Chi. If the crate is too large, your Chihuahua may eliminate on one end of the crate then go to sleep on the other.
- Provides a place of comfort and security: You should never use a dog crate as a tool of punishment. A crate should be introduced as a positive place where your pup can relax. When positively reinforced, your Chihuahua’s kennel will become their own little area where they can escape chaos.
- Keep your Chi safe when traveling: It’s crucial to make your dog’s safety a priority when traveling. Dog crates will ensure that your Chihuahua is secure whether you are traveling on an airplane or in the care.
- Chihuahuas prefer their own den-like space: Chihuahuas love to burrow and get cozy in quiet, dark places. Crating your pooch while you’re away will not only keep them safe and out of trouble, but they will appreciate the rest in their very own spot. If you purchase a wire crate, you may even consider a crate cover that offers extra privacy.
How to Choose the Best Size Crate for Your Chihuahua
Purchasing an appropriately sized crate is crucial for your pup’s safety and comfort. Buying the properly sized crate is also essential if your pup is potty training. Ideally, your Chihuahua’s crate should be big enough for them to lay down, sit up and turn around comfortably.
For potty training, you’ll want to be sure that you don’t purchase a crate that is too big for your Chihuahua. A crate that is too large will allow your pup to eliminate on one end of the crate then sleep and rest on the other end. Chihuahua puppies are incredibly tiny, but wire crates come with divider panels so you can section the crate off as your pup grows. Wire crates tend to be superior for potty training because they have removable plastic trays which can be easily cleaned.
Popular Types of Crates for Chihuahuas
The type of crate you choose for your Chihuahua comes down to when you will be using it. If your Chihuahua enjoys lounging at home, you may prefer a wire crate to a soft-sided crate. It all comes down to your pet parent lifestyle.
- Wire crates: Wire crates are generally the most affordable and convenient of all the different types of crates. They are widely available for purchase and come in a multitude of sizes to best fit your pup. Wire crates quickly fold down flat for storage and they are easy to pack in a car. Wire crates typically come with a bottom plastic pan which will catch messes and a divider panel so the crate can be used throughout all of your Chi’s life stages.
- Furniture-style crates: If your Chihuahua prefers to stay at home, you may consider a furniture-style crate. These kennels double as an end table or decorative piece of furniture while also offering a place for your Chihuahua to rest. These crate tend to cost more, but they sure will look luxurious in your home!
- Soft-sided crates: If you travel a lot or enjoy activities such as dog sports or camping, a soft-sided crate may be your best bet. Chihuahuas are loyal companions who enjoy being with their people, and purchasing a soft-sided crate will ensure that your pup is always by your side. However, if you have an escape artist or aggressive chewer, you may want to avoid soft crates.
- Plastic dog crates: Plastic dog crates are often used as a secondary option for transporting your dog in the car or on an airplane. These hard shell crates are moderately priced and sometimes have unique features like seatbelt loops or storage compartments.
Overall Best Crates for Chihuahuas in 2022
|Our 2022 Picks: Best Crates for Chihuahuas|
|Firstrax Petnation Port-A-Crate E Series Indoor & Outdoor Pet Home
|Frisco Fold & Carry Double Door Dog Crate
|Petmate Portable Pet Home
|New Age Pet EcoFLEX Crate & End Table
|Petmate Vari Dog Kennel
|EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft-Sided Dog Crate
- Lightweight design
- Great for traveling
- Folds flat for convenient storage
- Top and front entry doors
Overall Best Crates for Chihuahuas – This crate is terrific for Chihuahuas because it offers a place of comfort and security, and it’s also incredibly versatile. Equipped with a strong yet lightweight steel frame, the trustworthy design will keep your Chihuahua safe whether you’re at home, in the car or enjoying the outdoors. The bottom of this crate is water resistant to make cleaning up accidents a breeze.
The Firstrax Petnation dog crate has both top and front entry doors so your Chihuahua can enter as they please. Rounded corners on the crate ensure that the interior of your car and home are protected no matter where you place the crate. It also has well-ventilated mesh panels so your Chihuahua will have plenty of airflow. The material on this crate is both durable and washable for easy cleaning. The crate is available in several different sizes, and the 16” and 20” styles both have a convenient carrying handle.
- Lightweight, washable material
- Folds for storage and traveling
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- Front and top entry doors
- Water resistant base
- May not be the best choice for aggressive chewers.
- Available in 6 sizes
- Divider panel included
- Front and side entry doors
- Plastic pan included for easy cleanup
This Frisco wire crate is inexpensive but it is strong and durable, and will keep your Chihuahua safe. With side and front entry options, you can place this crate anywhere in your home. A plastic pan is included to keep your Chihuahua comfortable and messes contained. This Frisco crate even comes with a divider panel so you can use it from the time your Chi is a puppy until they are living out their golden years.
Assembly of this crate is super easy. It assembles and folds down within seconds. The folding feature is helpful for storage or traveling. It also comes with carrying handles to make transport a breeze. You can purchase this crate for your Chihuahua in several different sizes, but the 22” will most likely be the best choice.
- Dual-entry design with latch locks for security
- Divider panel allows you to use the crate throughout all of your Chihuahua’s life stages
- Bottom plastic pan is easy to clean
- Folds within seconds and has carrying handles for transport
- Available in several size options
- If your Chihuahua is an escape artist, this may not be the best crate for them.
- Constructed with water resistant fabric
- Equipped with window covers for privacy and climate control
- 4 ground stakes included for outdoor use
- Foam pad will keep your Chihuahua comfortable
Your Chihuahua will feel at home in this crate whether they are lounging at your house or traveling. Made with water resistant fabric, this premium crate is suitable for your home, your car or fun outdoor activities. It even comes with 4 ground stakes so you can secure the crate when camping, participating in dog sports or any other hobbies you enjoy with your Chihuahua. And don’t worry if bad weather blows in quickly – window covers keep your Chihuahua protected at all times.
The Petmate Portable Pet Home folds down flat and fits into a carrying case for convenient transport. It has storage pockets to keep all of your Chihuahua’s essentials, which is especially helpful when traveling. This crate comes equipped with a comfortable foam pad to ensure superior coziness at all times. Your Chihuahua will absolutely love it!
- Storage pockets to keep all of your pet essentials
- Climate control window covers
- Folds quickly into a carrying case for traveling
- 4 ground stakes included
- Made with water resistant fabric
- Not escape-proof
More Top Chihuahua Crates
If you’re looking for a versatile, stylish dog crate for your Chihuahua, we like this option from New Age Pet. It doubles as an end table while giving your Chi their very own space to relax in luxury. This crate is made from non-toxic, recycled plastic-wood material and the spindles are made from stainless steel tubing. While this crate will keep your Chihuahua safe, it will look stunning among the décor in your home. You can even paint it to better match your preferred color scheme. All you have to do is put a cozy bed in this decorative crate, and your Chi will feel right at home.
This Petmate dog crate will keep your Chihuahua secure and comfortable in a variety of situations. Whether you’re relaxing at home or heading out on an adventure, this dog crate is equipped with plenty of ventilation to ensure a cozy experience for your Chihuahua. This crate even meets proper standards for transport and travel. We like that the extra-small and small sizes of this crate come equipped with a built-in storage compartment and a seatbelt loop. There’s even an internal moat to keep messes contained in case your Chi has an accident. The Petmate Vari Dog Kennel is available in 5 sizes.
This is a soft-sided yet sturdy dog crate for those Chihuahuas who are always on the go. This traveling home is mad with lightweight, durable material, and it boasts 3 zippered doors so your Chi can enter and exit as they please. The doors also provide exceptional ventilation for your Chihuahua to enjoy the fresh air and sunlight. Of course all of the doors feature locking zippers so you never have to worry about compromising your pup’s safety. This crate comes with a carrying case and cozy fleece bed. It’s also built with a comfortable carrying handle for making traveling with your Chihuahua a breeze.
- Should I crate train my Chihuahua? Yes. Crate training should be a priority when it comes to your Chihuahua’s training. A crate should be used for potty training and also as a den space that your Chi can have as their own dedicated space.
- Should a dog be able to sit up in a crate? Your dog should be able to comfortable sit up, lay down and turn around in their crate. This will prevent injury, pain and discomfort when in the crate for a prolonged period of time.
- How long can my Chihuahua puppy hold their bladder? Chihuahua puppies can only hold their bladder for about an hour initially. The general rule is that your Chihuahua puppy can hold their bladder for an hour per every month they are old. For example, if your Chihuahua is 3 months old, they can hold it for about 3 hours. By the time your Chihuahua is an adult, they should be able to hold their bladder for about 8 hours.
Buying the best crate for your Chihuahua is important for not only their comfort but also safety and security. We’re confident that one of the crates on our list will be the perfect den for your tiny pup. And remember to check out our tips for choosing the best size crate for your Chihuahua.