- What is the Best Medicated Cat Shampoo?
- 5 Benefits of Using a Medicated Cat Shampoo
- Dermatological Issues Addressed by Medicated Shampoos for Cats
- 5 Components to Look for in a Medicated Cat Shampoo
- Overall Best Medicated Cat Shampoo
- 4 More Top Medicated Shampoo for Cat Picks
- Frequently Asked Questions
Witnessing your cat battle a severe dermatological issue can be agonizing. We don’t want our feline friends to be hurting, but luckily there are options available to assist in the healing process. Medicated cat shampoos help with a wide array of skin conditions, and in this article we highlight how they are especially important when it comes to bringing your cat back to maximum health.
If your cat seems to be in extreme pain from their skin concern, we suggest first and foremost seeking veterinary attention. They may recommend a specific medicated cat shampoo to help cure their ailments. There are several excellent medicated cat shampoos on the market today, and each one focusing on different dermatological concerns. Below we discuss the benefits of using a medicated cat shampoo, which issues they help address, and we share our list of medicated shampoo recommendations.
What is the Best Medicated Cat Shampoo?
- Malaseb Medicated Shampoo for Cats
- Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Sebozole Shampoo for Cats
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Shampoo
- Vetericyn FoamCare Medicated Shampoo for Pets
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Cat Shampoo
- TropiClean Oxy Med Medicated Oatmeal Shampoo
- Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Cat Shampoo
5 Benefits of Using a Medicated Cat Shampoo
It’s important that you don’t use a human shampoo when bathing your cat, especially if they have a severe medical conditions. Medicated shampoos are pH balanced for cats and they contain ingredients which have healing properties designed for a cat’s delicate, thin skin. Here are some additional benefits of using a medicated shampoo:
- Relieve your cat of itchiness: It can be difficult as a cat parent to watch your kitty constantly scratch at their irritated skin. Medicated cat shampoo will relieve dryness, moisturize their skin and reduce any swelling or inflammation associated with incessant scratching. Your kitty will feel so much better when they aren’t constantly itching.
- Heal extreme dermatological issues: Even the toughest skin issues can be healed with a proper medicated cat shampoo. Some cat parents have even reported that nothing offered their pets relief until they began using a medicated shampoo. Below we discuss some of the health concerns that medicated shampoo can assist with.
- Bonding with your cat: An ailing kitty needs love, attention and assistance from their owner. Using a medicated shampoo to help heal your beloved feline friend will not only nurse them back to health, but it will also help you bond with your cat. Bath time can be unpleasant, but you and your cat will feel closer after combating the experience together.
- Helps keep skin moisturized and hydrated: Not only does medicated cat shampoo contain healing properties but it also has a blend of ingredients to maintain clean, moisturized and healthy skin. Medicated shampoos for cats will rejuvenate your kitty’s skin and coat and keep it looking beautiful!
- Veterinarian-quality care: By using a medicated cat shampoo you are offering your cat high-quality care. Most of the medicated shampoos on our list of recommendations are used and/or formulated by veterinarians, and that’s enough to make any cat parent feel great!
Now let’s cover a list of health conditions that a medicated cat shampoo will help fight.
Dermatological Issues Addressed by Medicated Shampoos for Cats
Medicated cat shampoo can help your kitty’s skin and coat heal from a wide variety of dermatological issues. Many medicated shampoos fight against bacterial and fungal infections, as well as conditions such as feline acne and psoriasis. Medicated shampoos can potentially assist with the following health conditions:
- Yeast infections
- Irritation from environmental allergies
- Hot spots
5 Components to Look for in a Medicated Cat Shampoo
It can be a daunting task to choose a medicated cat shampoo when faced with all of the options. Look into the following components to narrow down your search:
- Veterinarian formulated: It may or may not be important to you that your cat’s medicated shampoo is formulated by a veterinarian or created using vet recommended ingredients. Brands such as Vetoquinol and Veterinary Formula develop their shampoos with the help of veterinarians.
- Active ingredients: Medicated shampoos will specific active ingredients which help to fight different skin issues. Look for active ingredients based on what you need the shampoo for. The ingredients will clearly be listed on the shampoo labeling.
- Harmful ingredients to avoid: A quality medicated cat shampoo won’t contain any parabens, sulfate, dyes, perfumes, soap or toxic ingredients.
- Natural ingredients to look for: If your cat has dry skin, dandruff or severe itching, you may want to consider a medicated shampoo that also contains natural ingredients such as oatmeal or aloe vera. These two elements act as natural moisturizes which will soothe your kitty’s dry skin and coat.
- Conditioner: For long hair cats you may need to purchase a separate medicated conditioner. Most medicated shampoos do not have built in conditioner. You can purchase medicated conditioner or a conditioning spray to help keep your kitty’s coat from becoming matted and tangled.
Overall Best Medicated Cat Shampoo
|Our 2019 Picks: Best Medicated Shampoos for Cats|
|Malaseb Medicated Shampoo For Cats||CHECK PRICE|
|Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Sebozole Shampoo For Cats||CHECK PRICE|
|Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Vetericyn FoamCare Medicated Shampoo For Pets||CHECK PRICE|
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Oxy Med Medicated Oatmeal Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
- Contains antibacterial and antifungal agents
- Gentle on skin but kills pathogens
- Helps with severe dermatological conditions
- No dyes or added fragrances
Malaseb medicated cat shampoo is a fragrance-free formula with antibacterial and antifungal agents which help to fight off tough skin infections. Despite the medicated blend, it won’t strip your kitty’s coat of its natural oils. The ingredients are gentle on the skin, yet fight against skin pathogens and kills them to help your cat heal. Pathogens are killed within minutes when you use this medicated cat shampoo.
Miconazole nitrate and chlorhexidine gluconate are the main ingredients that will help with your kitty’s dermatological conditions. The shampoo will free your cat’s fur of dirt and debris while degreasing and cleaning it. Battling a harsh skin condition can be stressful for you and your cat, but this Malaseb medicated shampoo will help get your kitty feeling healthy and great again!
- Helps with several conditions including but not limited to yeast infections, ringworm and dandruff.
- Good for dogs experiencing rash and severe itchiness associated with an allergic reaction
- Gentle on skin but tough on infections
- Great for sensitive skin
- Aids with fungal and bacterial infections, but not allergy related issues.
- Antibacterial, antifungal and antiseborrheic ingredients
- Fights against dermatological issues due to infection
- Can be used for routine baths
- Safe for use on cats and dogs
Runner-Up Best Medicated Shampoo: Vetoquinol makes premium, veterinary-quality products and this medicated shampoo for cats is no exception. The antibacterial, antifungal and antiseborrheic ingredients offer therapeutic skin healing for even the toughest skin issues which have been caused by infection. Miconazole Nitrate 2% and Chloroxylenol 1% are the main ingredients.
Although this medicated shampoo works hard to heal your cat’s skin, it’s also gentle and safe for both canine and feline friends. Happy cat parents report that Vetoquinol medicated cat shampoo is effective for irritated skin due to allergies, dry skin and greasy skin. Before using this shampoo on a kitten or a puppy, check with your veterinarian to see if it is the safest and most appropriate choice.
- Safe for dogs, cats and horses
- Helps with any skin condition responsive to Miconazole Nitrate and Chloroxylenol.
- Positive reviews from a plethora of pet parents
- Can be used routinely
- This medicated shampoo is pricier than others.
- Assists in the process of relieving fungal and bacterial infections
- Contains aloe vera to soothe the skin
- Paraben free
Veterinary Formula medicated cat shampoo contains Benzethonium Chloride and Ketoconazole to eliminate bacteria and fight fungal infections. This shampoo will deodorize your cat’s skin and fur, then aloe vera helps to soothe the skin and speed up the healing process. If your cat is battling dermatitis or pyoderma as a result of allergies, ringworm, a weakened immune system or other infections, this shampoo is an excellent budget-friendly option!
Veterinary Formula medicated cat shampoo is 100% paraben free and safe for routine bath time use. The ingredients are veterinarian recommended to ensure your cat will benefit from using this shampoo. All Veterinary Formula pet products are made cruelty-free and non-toxic. This particular shampoo is only recommended for pets over 12 weeks of age.
- Safe for cats and dogs
- Made with veterinarian approved ingredients
- Heals skin affected by fungal and bacterial infections
- Paraben free and non-toxic
- Not recommended for young puppies or kittens
4 More Top Medicated Shampoo for Cat Picks
Medicated foaming shampoo from Vetericyn is designed to alleviate itchiness, scaly skin and dryness associated with hot spots, psoriasis or other dermatological issues. The innovative foaming formula can be evenly distributed on your cat’s body during bath time. The foam cleanses deeply with a pH balanced blend to nourish your kitty’s skin and coat. Healing properties help to soothe your cat’s affected skin so offer them relief. This medicated shampoo works for all species of animal at any life stage.
This medicated cat shampoo is fairly expensive but it has everything you need to help your cat fight severe skin conditions. Ingredients include chlorhexidine, climbazole and phytosphingosine. This blend of ingredients can help fight and control bacteria in order to assist in healing your cat’s skin. This medicated shampoo will keep your cat’s skin and coat moisturized. Whether your kitty is suffering from dry, itchy skin or a more serious issue like ringworm, Douxo medicated shampoo could be an excellent choice.
If you’re looking for a medicated cat shampoo without all of the hard to pronounce ingredients, this one from TropiClean is a fantastic option. This soothing, coconut-based shampoo contains oatmeal, vitamin E and salicylic acid to reduce itching and promote healing. The blend of ingredients also helps reduce swelling, redness and flaky skin. TropiClean medicated cat shampoo is a budget-friendly option which is made in the USA. This shampoo is soap-free and it won’t negatively affect flea and tick treatments.
For cats with mange, dermatitis, feline acne and associated conditions, Davis medicated shampoo will do the trick. The benzoyl peroxide deeply penetrates hair follicles and skin to promote healing and nourish your kitty’s fragile coat. This medicated cat shampoo also works as an effective fur de-greaser. You can use this shampoo for cats and dogs of any age! Renew your cat’s skin and coat with this cost-effective medicated shampoo, which is made in the USA.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What issues does medicated cat shampoo help with? – Each medicated shampoo for cats is formulated a little differently. Some shampoos fight bacterial and fungal infections, while others strictly fight against irritated, swollen or itchy skin. Some concerns that medicated shampoos may assist with are mange, ringworm, feline acne, yeast infections, psoriasis and hot spots. Seek veterinary advice if you’re not sure which medicated shampoo will be best for your cat’s condition.
- How do I know which ingredients I need in my cat’s medicated shampoo? – Certain ingredients help to heal specific dermatological conditions. If you aren’t sure which shampoo will be the best for healing your cat’s health issue, consult your veterinarian. They will be able to recommend the best medicated shampoo.
- Can I use my medicated cat shampoo for my dog? – Most medicated pet shampoos are formulated for the use of cats and dogs. Often times they are also appropriate for horses and small animals such as guinea pigs. The shampoo labeling will tell you which species will benefit from the shampoo.3dermatological concerns, but we’re confident that each one will be high-quality and safe for your kitty!
No cat parent wants to see their beloved kitty itching or hurting. Luckily medicated cat shampoos are available to us so we can nurse our cats back to health, and watch them thrive at their full potential. Remember to consult a veterinarian if you aren’t sure which medicated cat shampoo will be best for your cat’s situation.
Much like human shampoos are made for unique needs, medicated cat shampoos are designed to help with different skin issues. Our list of recommendations contains shampoos for different dermatological concerns, but we’re confident that each one will be high-quality and safe for your kitty!