- What Are Best Large Cat Litter Boxes?
- 4 Benefits of Using a Large Cat Litter Box
- Helpful Tips for Maintaining a Clean Cat Litter Box
- 5 Components to Look for in a Large Cat Litter Box
- Overall Best Large Cat Litter Boxes
- More Top Large Cat Litter Boxes
- Frequently Asked Questions
Litter boxes are widely available, but we tend to see store shelves littered (pun intended) with medium sized options. Did everyone forget about Maine Coons and Turkish Vans?! They need bigger litter boxes to comfortably do their business.
We know how important it is that your large breed cat has enough space in their box since they visit the litter several times a day. Through research, expertise and reviews from other cat parents, we’ve put together this informative guide to help you choose the best large cat litter box. We have a multitude of high-quality recommendations, and we’re confident that at least one of them will be the purrfect fit for your kitty.
What Are Best Large Cat Litter Boxes?
4 Benefits of Using a Large Cat Litter Box
Using a large cat litter box isn’t just about the size of your fancy feline. Here are some notable benefits of using a large cat litter box:
- Suitable for large breed cats: Bigger cats need bigger litter boxes. If your large cat tries to use a small litter box, they may accidentally eliminate outside the box.
- More space for cats who tend to make messes: Many cats enjoy spending a considerable amount of time covering up their waste. Some also like to kick their litter. If you have a messy or picky cat, a large cat litter box will give them the extra space they need in order to keep messes contained.
- Reduces risk of improper elimination: If the litter box is too small for your large cat to use comfortably, they may start eliminating outside the box. It’s important that your cat has all of the space they need to do their business in order to help avoid improper urination.
- Better for diggers: Some kitties love digging at their litter as part of their routine, but digging can also lead to loose litter on your floors. Using a large litter box will reduce the risk of excess litter flying out of the box when your cat digs.
Helpful Tips for Maintaining a Clean Cat Litter Box
You’ll want to completely replace litter and clean the box once every two weeks or so. Disposing of old litter on a consistent basis will keep your cat’s litter area and home smelling pleasant. It’s also a good idea to regularly vacuum or mop the floors directly under the litter boxes and mats. Disinfecting the space will prevent growth of bacteria and help to control odors. Of course using the proper size litter box will also ensure that litter and waste stays where it should – inside the box.
5 Components to Look for in a Large Cat Litter Box
Large cat litter boxes are no longer limited to a basic rectangular design. Now there are several components to consider when picking out a large litter box for your furry friend:
- Size: A large litter box will be at least 20” in length. Some of the litter boxes on our list are around 22”, which gives large breeds plenty of space to do their business comfortably.
- Hooded or open: Your cat may prefer a private, enclosed litter box, or they may like to use a standard open litter box. We have both options on our list of recommendations, but the style you choose should be based on what’s best for your kitty.
- Self-cleaning: Automatic cat litter boxes are great for those cat parents who hate the chore of daily scooping. Self-cleaning litter boxes constantly rake the box so it stays clean throughout the day with zero maintenance. Many self-cleaning cat litter boxes can be left alone for weeks at a time.
- Helpful features: Standard litter boxes come at an affordable cost, but if you are willing to spend a few extra bucks, you may get some helpful features. Additional features can include bag anchors, a litter scoop hook or an odor control filter.
- Color and style: Let’s face it – cat litter boxes aren’t exactly the most decorative item in your home. However, some litter boxes do come available in a variety of colors or designs. Many enclosed cat litter boxes look modern for those cat parents who like a little more style.
It’s time to dig into our favorite large cat litter box recommendations!
Overall Best Large Cat Litter Boxes
|Our 2021 Picks: Best Large Cat Litter Boxes|
|Frisco Flip Top Hooded Cat Litter Box||CHECK PRICE|
|Booda Dome Cleanstep Litter Box||CHECK PRICE|
|Van Ness High Sides Cat Litter Pan||CHECK PRICE|
|ScoopFree Original Automatic Cat Litter Box||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box||CHECK PRICE|
|Frisco Sifting Cat Litter Box||CHECK PRICE|
- Provides your cat with privacy and security
- Removable hinged door flap
- Large 22” pan
- Disposable charcoal filter for odor control
Overall Best Large Cat Litter Box – It’s hard to pick just one favorite large cat litter box because there are so many exceptional options to choose from! Ultimately we choose the Frisco Flip Top Hooded Cat Litter Box for a few different reasons. First and foremost, the size is purrfect for large cats. With a 22” pan, this litter box offers plenty of space for your big kitty without being obnoxiously huge.
We also like that this litter box is covered. The hood allows your cat to have privacy and security that they may desire. The front door flap is on a hinge, and you can remove it if your cat prefers an open entrance. Not only does the cover keep odors contained, but this large litter box also comes with a disposable charcoal filter for superior odor control. This large Frisco cat litter box comes at an affordable cost, and it’s suitable for all size cats.
- Covered litter box to contain odors
- Charcoal filter offers additional odor control
- Large 22” pan
- Removable front door panel
- Straightforward design is easy to clean and maintain
- Only available in one color
- 50% larger than a standard litter box
- Textured ramp to reduce litter tracking
- Available in three neutral colors
- Built with a large carbon filter for additional odor control
Runner-Up Best Large Cat Litter Box – Our runner-up best large cat litter box is another hooded model, but the Booda Dome has some unique features that make it stand out. To start, this litter box is 50% larger than standard boxes. This means that your large cat will have plenty of space to do their business. The hooded top gives your cat plenty of privacy, and it is equipped with a carbon filter to assist with odor control.
The Booda Dome large enclosed cat litter box is built with a textured ramp to make stepping in and out of the box a little easier. The nodules on the ramp clean your cat’s paws so they won’t track litter throughout your home. This large cat litter box is available in three attractive pearlescent colors to best suit your décor preferences.
- 50% larger than traditional litter boxes
- Textured ramp helps reduce litter tracking
- Large carbon filter helps with odor control
- Hooded design offers privacy and security for your kitty
- Available in a variety of colors
- The box does not have a latching system to keep the hood secure
- Available in large and giant sizes
- High sides to eliminate messes outside the box
- Extremely cost-effective
- Made in the USA with recycled materials
Best Budget-Friendly Large Cat Litter Box – If your cat kicks litter and likes to make a mess outside the litter box, this high-sided box from Van Ness is ideal. It is a traditionally shaped cat litter box, but the sides are raised to prevent litter from ending up on the floor. This large cat litter box is covered with a stain and odor resistant layer to make cleanup easier for busy cat parents.
The Van Ness High Sides Cat Litter Pan is eco-friendly, as it is constructed with 20% recycled material. It is made in the USA to ensure premium durability and quality. This litter box is only priced around $8, making it a great affordable option for multi-cat households.
- Easy to clean and maintain
- High sides design to keep litter and messes from leaving the box
- Made in the USA with a portion of recycled material
- Available in large and giant sizes
- This is a standard litter box that does not offer any special features
- Only available in blue
- Stays clean without maintenance for weeks at a time
- Rake system cleans the box every 20 minutes
- Pan size is suitable for large cats
- Uses non-tracking crystal cat litter
Best Large Automatic Cat Litter Box – How would you feel if you could leave your cat’s litter box unattended for weeks without having to scoop it?! Well now you can with this ScoopFree automatic litter box. This unique self-cleaning cat litter box is built with a rake system that cleans the box and discreetly discards waste. All you have to do is change out the disposable litter trays every 2-3 weeks.
This automatic cat litter box is suitable for large cats and multi-cat homes. It uses ScoopFree crystal litter which is highly absorbent and non-tracking. Using an automatic litter box saves you time and energy, while keeping your home smelling clean.
- Requires very little maintenance
- Offers superior odor control
- Available in two colors
- Constantly keeps the litter box clean by raking it every 20 minutes
- Uses non-tracking litter
- Automatic cat litter boxes are more expensive, but the convenience is worth it for many cat parents.
More Top Large Cat Litter Boxes
If you and your cat prefer a top entry style litter box, we suggest considering this one from Frisco. Not only is it affordable, but its large size is appropriate for bigger kitties. The top entry design will keep litter and messes in the box, while keeping dogs and other animals out. The lid of this large cat litter box acts as a litter mat to reduce tracking. We like that this litter box has a straightforward design that is easy to clean and maintain.
If you’re interested in a sifting litter box, this 22” pan from Frisco is worth a look! This cat litter box has a built-in sifter that will capture your cats waste to make cleaning much easier. No need for liners or a scoop when all you have to do is sift and toss away the used litter. This large litter box has handles to make the process easy. The Frisco Sifting Cat Litter Box is affordable, durable and made of BPA-free plastic.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if my cat’s litter box is too small? If your cat’s feces are dropping outside the box, their litter box is too small. The box also may be too small if your kitty is scratching at the walls of the box while using it. If your cat is refusing to use the litter box, it could be a sign that they need a bigger one.
How many litter boxes do I need for a large cat? Cats need at least one litter box, and if you have multiple cats you’ll need one litter box per cat. If you have a large home, you may need more litter boxes to properly disperse them throughout the house.
How much litter should I put in the litter box? Your cat’s litter box should always contain 2-4 inches of litter. You want to make sure there’s enough litter to trap all waste before it reaches the bottom of the litter box. If your cat spends time digging in the litter box, it’ll be best to have a deeper amount of litter.
As you now know, using the appropriate size litter box for your cat is extremely important. Since your cat spends so much time in their litter box, you want them to feel as comfortable and secure as possible. When looking for a large cat litter box, make sure the dimensions include a length of at least 20”, although a 22” box would be idea.