9 Best (Professional) Hair Clippers and Blades for Shih Tzu in 2023
Lively and affectionate, the Shih Tzu is an ancient breed from China. The breed traditionally has been groomed to have a long, flowing, silky coat. Many Shih Tzu owners today prefer to keep their dog’s coat trimmed so it’s easier to maintain. It’s not hard to learn to clip and groom your Shih Tzu at home with a little practice. We can show you the best hair clippers and blades for Shih Tzu. Most dogs prefer to be groomed at home and you might find that you enjoy grooming your little dog!
35% Off at Chewy.com
+ Free ShippingSave Now
A Shih Tzu with a full-length coat is a beautiful sight but only if the coat has been well-cared for. Otherwise, the coat can look very bad. Caring for a Shih Tzu with a long coat takes quite a bit of time and work such as daily brushing, frequent baths, and conditioning. If you don’t have the time or you’re not interested in caring for a long coat, then it’s better for you and your Shih Tzu if you choose a short cut.
What Is Best Dog Hair Clippers for Shih Tzus?
- Andis ProClip AGC2 2-Speed Detachable Blade Pet Clipper, Black
- Oster A6 Slim 3-speed Pet Clipper, Purple
- Andis Pro-Animal 7-Piece Detachable Blade Pet Clipper Kit
- Oster A5 Turbo 2-speed Pet Clipper, Dark Blue
- Wahl Arco Cordless Pet Clipper Kit
- Oster Power Max 2-speed Pet Clipper, Purple
- Wahl Bravura Lithium Ion Cordless Dog & Cat Clipper Kit
- Wahl KM5 Rotary 2-Speed Professional Dog & Cat Clipper Kit
- Andis Excel 5-Speed Detachable Blade Pet Clipper, Indigo Blue
The Shih Tzu has a double coat which means that there is an inner layer and a longer outer layer of hair. Different cuts, such as a puppy clip or a Teddy Bear clip, will look good on different Shih Tzu, depending on the texture of your dog’s coat. Some dogs have coats that are thicker or softer. Your puppy’s coat can also change before he becomes an adult dog. Some dogs develop more mats than other dogs.
Whatever kind of coat your Shih Tzu has or whatever kind of hair cut you choose, it’s important to check the coat often and brush your dog several times per week.
There are all kinds of clippers to use on your Shih Tzu such as corded and cordless; single-speed and multi-speed. Pet trimmers can be a good choice to use in sensitive areas and around the face. There are also lots of different blades so you can choose how much hair to remove or leave on your dog.
Most people need a good set of professional quality clippers, several different blades in different sizes, a pair of thinning shears (scissors), and a good brush and comb to groom their Shih Tzu. We can show you the best hair clippers and blades for Shih Tzu, along with some popular and easy styles for the breed.
The Shih Tzu Coat
The Shih Tzu is considered to have hair instead of fur. Most dogs have fur. Unlike fur, hair can grow much longer, reaching the floor on some breeds. Dogs with fur can usually only grow it to be two or three inches long at most.
The texture of hair is also different than fur. Hair is usually thinner than fur.
A proper coat for the Shih Tzu should be luxurious, dense, long, and flowing unless you decide to keep it cut short. But it should still be dense and healthy. A slight wave in the coat is sometimes seen. Showdogs and many pets wear a top knot or their hair tied up on top of their head.
The Shih Tzu sheds very little although they do shed some. They are considered to be a low shedding breed.
For breeds that are considered to have hair, such as the Shih Tzu, the coat always seems to be growing. In fact, some part of the coat is always growing (about 85 percent); some part of the coat is resting; and part of the coat is shedding. Only about 10-15 percent of the coat is ever shedding at one time.
If your dog has a coat that is moderate to long in length, the coat that sheds can easily be caught by your dog’s long coat. You may not notice that he has shed any hair.
If your dog has a shorter coat, you are more likely to notice that hair has been shed around the house because there isn’t any long coat to catch the shed hair.
No matter how long or short your Shih Tzu’s coat, you need to remove any loose or dead hair that is stuck in the coat. Dead hair in the coat can block air to your dog’s skin as well as your dog’s natural body oils, creating an odor. In addition, if your dog has a coat that is moderate to long in length, dead hair in the coat encourages tangles to form. Brushing your Shih Tzu often will help remove the dead hair and it’s good for your dog’s skin.
As a puppy, your Shih Tzu will only have the inner layer of fur or undercoat. It will take some time for the outer layer of hair to grow. That’s why you can expect the texture of your puppy’s coat to change as he gets a little older. This change usually occurs between four and 9-12 months.
There can be some seasonal shedding for your Shih Tzu but it is usually very light compared to other breeds that have fur. If you notice very heavy shedding with your dog it could be signs of hormonal changes or a health issue. You might want to take your dog to the vet to be sure everything is all right.
Top Shih Tzu Clips and Cuts
There are several popular clips and cuts for the Shih Tzu. You can see some of the most popular on this page.
The Puppy Cut may be the most popular cut for the Shih Tzu. This cut can look different ways, depending on the groomer. If you are having a professional groomer trim your Shih Tzu, you may want to take a picture with you to show them how you want your dog to look. In general, the puppy or dog is trimmed all over in a cut that is an even length. There are usually some layers of hair left along the dog’s sides, legs, and paws. The hair around the dog’s face is rounded and fringed. This style minimizes mats and tangles. The face, ears, and tail can be cut to a slightly different length form the body so they are extra cute and stand out. There is no definite length for a puppy cut so it’s up to you have long or short you want to make it. This is a low maintenance hair cut.
As you can see on this page, there are several different versions of the Puppy Cut, so talk to the groomer about how you want your Shih Tzu groomed. If you are grooming your Shih Tzu yourself, you can decide which version you like best. These styles look good on puppies and adults. A Puppy Cut is sometimes called a Summer Cut on an adult dog, especially if the hair is cut very short.
The Teddy Bear cut is also similar to the Puppy Cut. The body is the same. The difference is that the hair around the face is trimmed to be fluffy and rounded, giving your dog a stuffed animal/teddy bear appearance. This is a very popular hair cut and many people like it right now.
The “Practical” Top Knot is a casual version of the traditional Shih Tzu hair style. The body hair is kept longer than with most hair cuts. The hair on top of the head is gathered up and secured with a clip, ribbon, or tie. You can trim your dog neatly as appropriate. You do need to keep the hair out of your dog’s eyes and mouth. This style is attractive but you will need to brush your dog more if you keep the coat longer.
The Top Knot Show Cut is lovely but it’s usually only kept on dogs that are being shown at dog shows. The coat is long and flowing with a top knot but it’s high maintenance. Dogs need to be brushed several times per day with this style.
You can see some other cute styles for your Shih Tzu here including styles that mix and match different elements of traditional hair cuts.
These cuts are not especially hard to do after you learn how to clip your dog. You will be able to modify any of these cuts to suit your dog.
If you got your dog from a breeder, don’t be afraid to ask for some grooming tips. Most breeders are happy to give grooming advice. You can also visit a dog show or a trade show for grooming tools such as clippers to see how professionals use clippers on dogs. There are even grooming competitions that are fun to watch. You can learn a lot from watching these people work.
Different Types of Shih Tzu Clippers
There are four basic kinds of clippers for grooming your Shih Tzu.
- Corded clippers. Corded clippers are used by professionals and people that show dogs. They have an electrical cord. They are good for people that groom a lot of dogs and need a sturdy clipper.
- Cordless clippers. Cordless clippers are popular with some professional groomers and with some people that groom at home. They are usually lightweight and easy to hold so there is less hand fatigue. They usually run on batteries that can last up to two hours.
- Corded/Cordless clippers. These clippers can operate with or without a cord. Use them with a cord while the battery is charging. You can use them cordless when the battery is charged. There are only a few clippers that are corded/cordless.
- Pet trimmers. Trimmers can be a good choice if you need something to trim around your dog’s paws, face, and tail. They are less expensive than clippers but they are also less powerful.
Key Components of a Top-Rated Set of Clippers for Shih Tzu
If you’re planning to groom your Shih Tzu at home, you will need good quality clippers. Most people who buy cheap clippers in the beginning end up buying some good clippers sooner or later. And, if you use poor quality clippers, it’s doubtful that you will get good results when you groom your Shih Tzu.
Here are some things we look for in a top-rated set of clippers for Shih Tzu:
- Don’t buy cheap clippers. You will save money in the long-run if you buy good clippers from the start even if they cost a little more. Expect to spend about $100 (plus or minus) for good clippers.
- Good clippers are powerful but they should be relatively quiet with low vibration.
- Good clippers should cut your Shih Tzu’s coat easily. If your clippers start having problems cutting it could be time to have your blade sharpened. Keeping your clippers clean and brushing out the fine hairs after using them will also keep them working better.
- We recommend clippers that have a minimum of 3500 strokes per minutes (SPM) so they will be able to work on even dense coats.
- Top-rated clippers should not heat up quickly. All clippers will get warm when you use them after a while but good clippers should not get hot after five minutes.
- Top quality clippers should be comfortable in your hand. Some clippers today have an ergonomic design so they reduce hand fatigue.
- You can use cordless clippers on your Shih Tzu but keep in mind that these clippers usually need to be recharged in 60-120 minutes, depending on the model. It can take longer than this to completely groom some Shih Tzu. If you groom your dog in several short sessions this won’t be a problem but if you like to groom your dog at one time you will do better with a corded clipper.
- Top-rated clippers should be durable. Consider your clippers to be an investment. If you take care of them they should last for years. Good companies such as Andis and Oster have parts available if you need to have a repair made or replace a part.
Picking the Perfect Shih Tzu Clipper Blade Size
Most clippers have detachable blades. Most models come with a standard #10 blade which is good for grooming many different breeds. But you can easily remove or “detach” the blade from the clippers and replace it with any other blade that you purchase. Blades come in all sizes so you can cut your dog’s hair as short as you want – or keep it longer. The higher the blade number, such as #30, the shorter the hair will be when you cut it. The lower the number, such as #3, the longer the hair.
Here are some recommended blades for a couple of popular Shih Tzu cuts:
- Matted Coat – #7F
- Puppy Trim – #30 with 1″ Comb
- Short Trim – #4F or #3F
- Head, Tail, & Ears – Scissors
If you’re going to buy extra blades to go with your new clippers, these would be blade sizes to consider.
If you’re wondering how much hair each blade will leave after the cut, here is a list of blades:
“F” is for a “finishing” or fine blade which is for a smooth, blended cut. Some blades also come in a skip tooth version which is a good choice for getting through a matted coat (the #3, #4, #5, and #7). There are also clip-on combs if you would like to leave your Shih Tzu’s coat longer. Many groomers will start on a dog’s coat using a skip tooth blade to remove more coat and then gradually finish it or make it look smoother with a finer blade.
There are all kinds of blades made of different materials, for different purposes but most good blades will be suitable for grooming your dog at home. Andis and Oster both make excellent blades. They can be used interchangeably in most clippers, regardless of the manufacturer.
*Our recommendations are intended for people who groom their Shih Tzu at home.*
Overall Best Clippers For Shih Tzu
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Hair Clippers and Blades for Shih Tzu|
|Andis ProClip AGC2 2-Speed Detachable Blade Pet Clipper, Black
|Oster A6 Slim 3-Speed Pet Clipper, Purple
|Andis Pro-Animal 7-Piece Detachable Blade Pet Clipper Kit
|Oster A5 Turbo 2-Speed Pet Clipper, Dark Blue
|Wahl Arco Cordless Pet Clipper Kit
|Oster Power Max 2-Speed Pet Clipper, Purple
|Wahl Bravura Lithium Ion Cordless Dog & Cat Clipper Kit
|Wahl KM5 Rotary 2-Speed Professional Dog & Cat Clipper Kit
|Andis Excel 5-Speed Detachable Blade Pet Clipper, Indigo Blue
Andis ProClip AGC2 2-Speed Detachable Blade Pet Clipper, Black
- Detachable blades and removable drive cap make cleaning easy and the locking blade hinge keeps it secure.
- The 2-speed sealed rotary motor runs cool and has plenty of power to handle a Shih Tzu coat.
- Includes a 14-foot heavy-duty cord so you can easy move around.
- Works with all UltraEdge, CeramicEdge and ShowEdge blades—plus, it’s also compatible with Oster A-5 blades.
Overall Best Shih Tzu Clippers – Andis ProClip AGC2 2-Speed Detachable Blade Pet Clipper is a great choice for Shih Tzu. This is our go-to set of clippers for many breeds because they are reliable and they have enough power to handle most coats. With two speeds you can choose how much power to use. It stays cool even when you’re clipping a lot of coat. It also has a 14-foot heavy-duty cord so you can move around easily. This clipper is durable and perfect for anyone learning to groom. It’s also a good choice for people who have been grooming for years. Comes with the clippers, #10 UltraEdge blade, and clipper oil.
Some people like the Andis UltraEdge AGC Super 2-Speed (slightly more powerful) but we prefer the Andis ProClip AGC2 2-Speed. They are both good clippers.
- 2 speeds
- Andis makes a more powerful clipper in a similar style
- Some people like cordless clippers better
- Heavier than some other clippers
- The blade can get hot after a while but this is true of most clippers
Oster A6 Slim 3-speed Pet Clipper, Purple
- These clippers have extremely low vibration and noise. Great for dogs that are nervous around clippers and more pleasant for you.
- The Oster A6 Slim 3-speed clipper is ergonomically designed, efficient, precision-tuned, and it has a heavy-duty motor that runs at over 4,000 strokes per minute.
- Zinc Alloy technology combines a lightweight ergonomic feel with heavy-duty, long-lasting durability.
- Angled eccentric drive system and precision calibrated motor are designed for an ultra-smooth, efficient cutting performance
- 3 Speed Settings: 4400SPM / 3600 SPM / 3100 SPM
Runner Up Best Shih Tzu Clippers – The Oster A6 Slim 3-speed Pet Clipper is very comfortable to use. It has an ergonomic design and it’s very lightweight so it reduces hand fatigue. If you spend a lot of time cutting your Shih Tzu’s coat, these may be the most comfortable clippers you can buy. They also have less vibration and noise than most clippers. People report that these clippers stay very cool. And, with three speeds, you can control how much power to use. Many professional groomers love these clippers. Comes with a #10 CryogenX Blade. This is a corded clipper.
- Very lightweight
- Ergonomically designed and comfortable to use
- Lower vibration and noise
- 3 speeds
- This is not a cordless clipper
- There are clippers that weigh less if you want an even lighter clipper
Andis Pro-Animal 7-Piece Detachable Blade Pet Clipper Kit
- The Pro features a 3700 spm blade speed and blade detachability. Includes a #10 blade.
- The quiet and powerful unit works with all UltraEdge, CeramicEdge, and ShowEdge blades (sold separately).
- Designed and manufactured for years of reliable use and features a break resistant housing that’s ergonomically designed to fit comfortably in your hand. It also has a 12′ heavy-duty cord.
- Designed with a powerful rotary motor so it performs for dogs with heavy, thick coats.
- Blades are also compatible with Oster Model A-5 and most detachable-type clippers.
Most Affordable Shih Tzu Clippers – The Andis Pro-Animal 7-Piece Detachable Blade Pet Clipper Kit is a one-speed clipper with a rotary motor that is powerful enough to clip your Shih Tzu’s coat. It’s also reasonably quiet. This is a single speed motor. It is durable and comes in break-resistant housing that is contoured to fit your hand. It has a detachable head so you can change blades. The kit comes with four attachment combs, a tube of blade oil, and a hard case for your clippers.
- Less expensive than most good quality clippers
- Includes attachment combs and case
- Durable and break-resistant
- Single speed motor
- Not as powerful as many clippers today
6 More Top-Rated Dog Hair Clippers for Shih Tzu
Oster A5 Turbo 2-speed Pet Clipper, Dark Blue
- The Oster Turbo A5 2-speed heavy-duty clipper is powerful, quiet, and reliable.
- This clipper is practically unbreakable. It’s durable and resilient even if you drop it.
- Goes through thick coat easily, including mats.
- Detachable blade system is very versatile.
- Turbo-powered for higher strokes per minute at two speeds: 3000 SPM Low, 4000 SPM High
- Compatible with all Oster A5 detachable blades (as well as other detachable blade clippers) and includes a #10 CryogenX Detachable blade.
The Oster A5 Turbo 2-speed Pet Clipper is quick and powerful. It’s a workhorse. It’s perfect for anyone doing a lot of clipping – such as a Shih Tzu owner. Many professional dog groomers and veterinarians use this clipper. It has two speeds so you can decide how much power you need. Compatible with all of Oster’s detachable blades (as well as other detachable blades). Comes with a #10 Cryogen X detachable blade.
- Faster and more powerful than similar Oster clippers
- Has two speeds
- Quiet, durable, and reliable
- Great for heavy duty clipping, including cutting mats
- This is a powerful clipper and it could be more than some owners need
- Some people might prefer a cordless clipper – but it’s hard to find cordless clippers that can do a good job with mats.
Wahl Arco Cordless Pet Clipper Kit
- Lightweight and cordless.
- 5500 strokes per minute and 80 minutes of battery run-time.
- Perfect for clipping paws, face, and finishing work.
- Glides through the coat quickly and efficiently.
- Adjustable 5 blades that adjust from #9 to #40 and are detachable.
- Professional Cordless 5-in-1 Clipper Kit with 2 NiMH batteries.
Quiet and lightweight, the Wahl Arco Cordless Pet Clipper Kit is an excellent clipper for trimming your Shih Tzu’s paws and face. You can also do finishing work over his coat after you have removed thicker coat. Use these cordless clippers anywhere. These clippers run for up to 80 minutes before you need to recharge. Comes with two NiMH battery packs, the clippers, a storage case, a charging base with an indicator light, four snap-on attachment guide combs, a cleaning brush, and blade oil. You can see how these clippers work using attachment guide combs in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkjda6tdiow.
- Cordless, lightweight, quiet
- Comes with two rechargeable battery packs
- Includes four snap-on attachment guide combs
- Good for trimming around your dog’s face, paws, and for doing finishing work
- Not a good choice for dogs with heavier coats unless the heavy coat has been trimmed first
- Only runs for 80 minutes before it has to be recharged
Oster Power Max 2-speed Pet Clipper, Purple
Two powerful speeds provide precision and control to handle any trim, cut, or ambitious pup-do.
- Lightweight and ergonomic design with rubberized stay-cool grip for enhanced maneuverability and comfort.
- Detachable blade system for quick, easy changing and ultra-quiet motor to help make grooming less stressful for your pup.
- Pro-inspired grooming solution is perfect for dogs of all sizes, breeds, and coat types.
- Includes clipper with antibacterial-coated CryogenX blade, blade guard, blade oil, grease, cleaning brush, two extra drive tips and instructions.
The Oster Power Max 2-Speed Pet Clipper is powerful enough to handle your Shih Tzu’s coat. It also has a lightweight, ergonomic design for precision and comfort. It lets you groom swiftly. The handle has a rubberized grip that stays cool. Comes with a complete accessory kit and CryogenX blade with antibacterial coating for the smoothest, cleanest cuts. The ultra-quiet motor also keeps things stress-free for your dog.
- 2 speeds, up to 4,200 SPM
- Lightweight, ergonomic design
- Quiet motor
- Comes with accessory kit and CryogenX blade
- The 12-foot cord is not quite as long as cords on some other clippers
Wahl Bravura Lithium Ion Cordless Dog & Cat Clipper Kit
- Provides 90 minutes of full speed run time with a quick charge of 60 minutes; can be used with a cord while charging. Runs at full speed right up until the charge runs out.
- Versatile 5-in-1 blade technology adjusts the blade to sizes #9, #10, #15, #30 and #40.
- The lithium ion battery has no memory effect so it charges new every time.
- Durable, lightweight, and quiet; runs with low vibration and no maintenance.
- Professional quality powers up to 5,500 SPM and works on dogs, cats, horses, livestock and more.
This Wahl Bravura Lithium Ion Cordless Clipper uses a lithium ion battery that runs for 90 minutes before it needs to be recharged. It recharges quickly in just 60 minutes. The clippers also come with a cord so you can use them while the battery is recharging. These clippers are durable, quiet, and lightweight. Like other Wahl clippers, they have a 5-in-1 adjustable blade that you can set to the length you prefer to use on your Shih Tzu.
- Cordless, runs for 90 minutes and recharges in 60 minutes
- Durable, lightweight, quiet
- Low vibration and no maintenance
- 5-in-1 adjustable blade
- Comes with Professional Lithium Ion Cord/Cordless Animal Clipper, 5 in 1 Detachable Blade Set, (6) Attachment Guide Combs, Charge Stand & Charger, Soft Storage Case, Cleaning Brush, Blade Oil, and Instruction Book.
- The 5-in-1 adjustable blade doesn’t allow you to use detachable clipper blades as you can with Andis and Oster clippers. When buying blades for these clippers, make sure you purchase adjustable blades so they will work with these clippers.
Wahl KM5 Rotary 2-Speed Professional Dog & Cat Clipper Kit
- German-engineered to deliver superior performance and a salon-quality grooming experience at home.
- Durable, two-speed rotary motor operates at 3000 and 3500 strokes per minute for exceptional power and torque.
- Constant Speed Control ensures consistent power delivery, even when clipping through mats or thick fur.
- Ergonomic design weighs just 13 ounces; superior comfort and control with minimal vibration and reduced wrist fatigue.
- 14-foot cord provides plenty of room to move while working; ideal for use on all dog and cat coat types, as well as horses and livestock.
Wahl KM5 Rotary 2-Speed Professional Clipper Kit provides precision, performance and style. These clippers also give you plenty of power and durability and they are basically maintenance-free. Perfect for all coat types. They can even handle mats. They are lightweight with an ergonomic design for superior comfort and control. These Wahl clippers have minimal vibration to reduce wrist fatigue.
- Lightweight with superior comfort
- Ergonomic design makes them easy to hold and use
- Powerful enough to groom a Shih Tzu’s coat
- Durable with 2 speeds
- Includes clippers, # 10 blade, brush, and oil
- There are more powerful clippers available.
Andis Excel 5-Speed Detachable Blade Pet Clipper, Indigo Blue
- All-purpose animal grooming clip with the power pros demand available in 5 popular colors allowing personalization and preventing confusion in busy shops.
- Lightweight, 5 speed rotary motor with up to 4,500 spm provides more control which is perfect for a variety of coats and breeds.
- CeramicEdge blade stays up to 75% cooler than steel and provides increased durability with a long lasting edge. It’s detachable for easy cleaning and greater styling versatility.
- New anti-slip soft grip housing is contoured to fit your hand, designed for comfort and confident handling.
- 10% faster than the AGC Super 2-Speed and it’s made in the USA!
If you’re looking for super clippers for your Shih Tzu, Andis Excel 5-Speed Detachable Blade Pet Clippers might fit the bill. Popular with professional groomers, these clippers have a powerful rotary motor that has up to 4,500 SPM so it can easily handle the coat of a Shih Tzu. You can use slower speeds to keep it cool and clip sensitive areas. Use higher speeds for thicker parts of the coat. More expensive than most clippers but this is a top-of-the-line professional clipper.
- 5 speeds, up to 4,500 strokes per minute
- Comes with a size 10 Ceramic Edge detachable blade and a tube of blade oil
- The new anti-slip soft grip housing is contoured to fit your hand for greater comfort
- 10 percent faster than the Andis AGC Super 2-Speed clipper
- You may not need a clipper this advanced to groom your Shih Tzu at home
- Reported to heat up if you use the higher speeds for a long time
Our 10 Step Shih Tzu Grooming Guide
We can offer you some general tips on grooming your Shih Tzu.
- Before you start grooming your dog try to gather all of your grooming tools in one place so you won’t have to hunt them while your dog is waiting. That usually leads to coming back and having to hunt for your dog.
- Clipping any dog is easier if his coat is clean. This is also true for a Shih Tzu. Give your Shih Tzu a bath and brush him out 24-48 hours before you intend to use the clippers on him. Make sure that his coat is thoroughly dry.
- Brush your Shih Tzu’s coat out before you use the clippers on him. You can use a good pin brush. If your Shih Tzu has any mats you can try to work them loose or gently work them away from your dog’s skin.
- All dogs need to stand still when someone is using the clippers on them so they aren’t accidentally cut. We recommend using a grooming table when you are using clippers on your dog, especially if you will be grooming your dog at home regularly.
- It’s a good idea to let your dog exercise and play before you groom. This can help take the edge off his energy and keep him calmer while you are using the clippers around him.
- Ideally your Shih Tzu will get used to the clippers from the time he’s a puppy so he’s not afraid of them. If he hasn’t seen them before, spend some time letting him get used to them. Let them run so he becomes accustomed to the noise. Give him some treats when you turn them on. Keep lots of treats and cookies handy while you work on your dog. Make your first time trimming your dog with the clippers a short session. Reward your dog so it’s a good experience.
- Most people trim the area under their Shih Tzu’s tail (the “sanitary” area), along with their paw pads. Trimming the arm pits can help avoid mats there. You may also want to trim your Shih Tzu’s facial area, being very careful here. These are all sensitive areas so use caution.
- From this point you can follow the outline for the clip or cut you have in mind. There are online sites as well as books that give advice on how to do specific cuts. You will probably need some grooming scissors or thinning shears to help shape the look you want. Check your clipper blade often to make sure it’s not hot. You can switch out the blade with another one or use a coolant spray to help cool it off.
- Don’t worry if your first efforts at clipping your Shih Tzu aren’t perfect. It takes some practice to learn to use clippers. Your dog’s coat will grow back and you can keep trying. You’ll learn quickly. Your dog doesn’t care if his haircut isn’t perfect. He only cares that you love him.
- If you or your dog start to become upset during a grooming session, take a time out. People and dogs can get frustrated – it happens. Your relationship is more important than getting the hair style right. There is no law that says you have to get the entire hair cut done at one time.
- Can you use all clippers on all Shih Tzu? Most good clippers should work well on a Shih Tzu coat. They have double coats that can be dense but most good clippers should have enough power to do the job. We do recommend that you look for clippers that have at least 3500 strokes per minute (SPM). Slower clippers might have some trouble if your dog has any mats. There are cordless clippers that would be powerful enough to work on Shih Tzu, if these interest you.
- Can you use pet trimmers on a Shih Tzu? You can use pet trimmers to work on a Shih Tzu’s paws, paw pads, face, under the tail, and other sensitive areas. However, pet trimmers are not powerful enough to use as clippers to cut a Shih Tzu’s coat.
- What should you do if your Shih Tzu’s coat is matted? If your Shih Tzu’s coat is matted you should try to gently work the mats loose with a comb without hurting your dog. If this doesn’t work, try to leave some space between the mat and your dog’s skin so you can slip the clippers under the mat. A #3 or #7 blade is usually recommended to remove the mat. Try to blend the patch in with the rest of your dog’s coat.
The Shih Tzu is a sweet, affectionate, playful dog. It’s no surprise that they are so popular. Their coats do require regular maintenance. You can learn to take care of your Shih Tzu’s coat at home. A good set of clippers, a few clipper blades, some thinning scissors, a brush and comb and you should be ready to start grooming your Shih Tzu. Don’t worry if your first attempts aren’t perfect. Your dog will look beautiful before you now it!