6 Best Extra Large Cat Litter Boxes With Our 2023 Budget-Friendly Pick
- What is the Best Extra Large Cat Litter Box?
- 4 Benefits of Using an Extra Large Cat Litter Box
- What type of litter should I use for my large cat?
- 7 Components to Look for in an Extra Large Cat Litter Box
- Best Extra Large Cat Litter Boxes
- 3 More Top Extra Large Cat Litter Boxes
- Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a bigger than average cat, you may have found it challenging to find a suitable litter box for them. Traditional litter boxes generally fit medium sized cats, and they simply don’t offer enough space for your large cat to be comfortable.
35% Off at Chewy.com
+ Free ShippingSave Now
Thankfully there are options for you, and we’ve done all of the research! We built this guide to bring you the 6 best extra-large cat litter boxes. We’ll share some notable benefits of using an extra-large kitty pan for your feline friend, along with what litter may be best for them.
What is the Best Extra Large Cat Litter Box?
4 Benefits of Using an Extra Large Cat Litter Box
Extra-large cat litter boxes are obviously important for big cats to use, and there are some other phenomenal benefits to take a look at:
- Provides adequate space for all size cats: Even if you have a large Maine Coon or other breed, they deserve to be absolutely comfortable when doing their business. An extra-large cat litter box will allow your kitty to make a pit stop without missing the box or making a big mess outside of it.
- Keeps messes contained: Going along with our first benefit, extra-large cat litter boxes ensure that the litter and its contents stay where they belong. Large cats are more likely to kick litter and waste over the litter box walls if the box is too small.
- Reduces the risk of improper elimination: If your cat’s litter box is too small, they may start eliminating outside the box where they are more comfortable. Using an appropriately sized cat litter box will help make sure your cat is always using it.
- Slower accumulation of waste: Smaller cat litter boxes will quickly fill up with clumps and waste if it’s constantly being used without frequent scooping. If there is waste in an extra-large litter box, your cat has more space to move about freely without stepping in their urine or feces.
What type of litter should I use for my large cat?
Since you will be using an extra-large cat litter box for your bigger feline pal, you’ll want to avoid dusty litters. There is more litter to use and dig through in an extra-large cat pan, so using a low dust or hypoallergenic litter may be beneficial to your cat’s health.
7 Components to Look for in an Extra Large Cat Litter Box
Your feline friend deserves to be pampered, and their comfort is a priority. To buy the purrfect extra-large litter box, consider the following components:
- Litter capacity: You want to avoid buying a flimsy litter box for your large cat. An extra-large litter box needs to be able to hold the weight of 2-4” of litter without the risk of breaking. It’s a good idea to look for a litter weight capacity of up to 30lbs.
- Covered or open top: Open litter boxes tend to be the best for large cats. But since some kitties prefer using an enclosed litter box, there are a few extra-large options to choose from. We share a few covered cat litter boxes on our list of recommendations.
- High back or sides: Litter boxes with a high back wall are nice for cats who are prone to eliminating on the outer edge of the box. Deeps walls and a high back ensure that all waste and litter stays where it needs to be.
- Color: Cat litter boxes don’t exactly come in the most attractive of colors. Sometimes you will have the option to choose from a variety of neutral colors, while some litter boxes only come in one plain color.
- Automatic: If cleaning the cat litter box is on your list of dreaded chores, you may consider looking into an automatic litter box. Self-cleaning litter boxes do come in extra-large sizes to properly fit large breed cats, and they free up your time and to-do list!
- Odor control: If you choose a covered litter box for your cat, you’ll want to make sure it has a filter for additional odor control. Automatic cat litter boxes are also excellent for odor control since they are consistently cleaning throughout the day.
- Special features: Some extra-large cat litter boxes come equipped with features which add convenience. One of these features is Microban, a layer which helps prevent the growth of bacteria. Others include a litter scoop hook or anchors to keep a litter bag in place.
Now it’s time to introduce you to our best extra-large cat litter box recommendations!
Best Extra Large Cat Litter Boxes
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Extra Large Cat Litter Boxes|
|Petmate Giant Litter Pan
|Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan
|Frisco High Back Cat Litter Box
|Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box
|Van Ness Enclosed Sifting Cat Litter Pa
|Lucky Champ Cat Litter Pan
Petmate Giant Litter Pan
- Giant size is ideal for even the biggest of cats
- Equipped with a side panel for extra storage
- Deep wall design to reduce messes outside the box
- Made with Microban which prevents growth of bacteria
Overall Best Extra Large Cat Litter Box – This cat litter box isn’t fancy by any means, but it takes the top spot on our list due to the giant size and helpful storage space. This extra-large cat litter box from Petmate measures at a whopping 27”. Not only will the length of the box fit your large cat, but the deep wall design ensures that litter and waste remain inside the litter box.
This extra-large litter box is built with a handy side panel for storage. The space would be great for a litter box scoop and other essentials. The litter pan is also made with Microban, which prevents growth of odor-causing bacteria. We love that the Petmate Giant Litter Pan is affordable, huge and comes equipped with storage.
- Giant 27” length
- Side storage panel for a litter scoop and other items
- Deep walls to keep messes inside the litter box
- Microban prevents the growth of bacteria
- Traditional litter box liners won’t work with this box, as it would cover the storage panel.
Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan
- Gives your cat privacy
- Disposable carbon filter for exceptional odor control
- Anchors to keep a litter bag in place
- Removable door flap
Runner-Up Best Extra Large Cat Litter Box – Enclosed cat litter boxes are great for odor control, and that’s one of the reasons we love this Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan. The covered design keeps odors and litter in, while waste stays out of sight. If your cat prefers to do their business in a private area, this jumbo covered cat litter box is a premium option. The size is excellent for big kitties who need some extra space.
Although covered litter boxes are already good for odor control, this box is built with a disposable carbon filter for further controlling unpleasant odors. It also has anchors which keep a litter box bag in place. If your cat prefers an open entrance, you can simply remove the front privacy flap. This Catit extra-large cat litter box comes in two attractive color palettes.
- Enclosed design keeps messes and odors inside the box
- Carbon filter offers additional odor control
- Front door flap is removable
- Anchors to keep a litter pan bag in place
- Jumbo size is suitable for large cats
- The cover isn’t transparent, so it may be difficult to determine when the box needs scooping.
Frisco High Back Cat Litter Box
- 23” to fit your large cat
- High back and deep sides to keep messes contained
- Spacious for your cat to easily move around
- BPA-free and recyclable
Best Budget-Friendly Extra Large Cat Litter Box – Large cats are notorious for making a mess outside the litter box when the box is simply not big enough for them to do their business comfortably. The Frisco High Back Cat Litter Box is a great solution to that problem. When your kitty steps into the litter box, deep walls and a high back will keep any spraying or kicked-up litter from ending up on the floor. Your feline friend will have plenty of space to move and turn around in his extra-large cat litter box.
This cat litter box from Frisco is not only affordable, but it’s also high-quality. Made from BPA-free, recyclable plastic, this extra-large cat litter box is excellent for any cat! The front of the box is low so your kitty can step in and out easily. It even has a hook on the back so you can hang a litter scoop. This litter box won’t break the bank, so it’s an excellent choice if you need to purchase multiple boxes.
- Deep walls and a high back keep messes contained in the box
- Made from BPA-free, recyclable plastic
- Large size gives your kitty plenty of space to do their business
- Hook on the back to hang a litter scoop
- Since this litter box is an open-top style, it doesn’t provide any additional odor control features.
3 More Top Extra Large Cat Litter Boxes
Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box
If your kitty prefers privacy when using their litter box, the Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box is worth a look. The size is big enough for large kitties, measuring at 23”. The wide opening on the top of the box is wide enough for your feline friend to enter and exit easily, while keeping other animals out of the litter box. The lid of this extra-large cat litter box is also textured to reduce tracking. Keep spills and waste inside the litter box with this innovative design. It will be a welcome addition to any home.
Van Ness Enclosed Sifting Cat Litter Pa
If you’re interested in an extra-large enclosed cat litter box with some helpful features, this box from Van Ness is a fantastic option. Not only will the hood on this litter box keep messes and odor contained, but it’s also equipped with a replaceable zeolite air filter for additional odor control. The pan of this extra-large cat litter box has a sifter for easy scooping and disposal of waste. This Van Ness enclosed litter box comes in two sizes and two colors to best suit your preferences.
Lucky Champ Cat Litter Pan
Measuring in at 25” long, this extra-large cat litter box is ideal for any size cat. This litter box is constructed with a low front entrance for kittens and aging cats, but it also has a high back to prevent messes from escaping the box. The Lucky Champ Cat Litter Pan is built with non-porous plastic so it won’t absorb odors. The sides of the litter box have rubber grips to making cleaning and moving the box especially easy. This litter box is simple yet innovative, and it comes at an affordable price.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How big should an extra-large cat litter box be? An extra-large cat litter box will be at least 22” long. Some of the options on our list even measure upwards of 25” long. The longer your cat is, the bigger size you need.
- How often should I clean my cat’s litter box? You should scoop your cat’s litter box at least once a day. If you have multiple cats, you’ll want to scoop twice a day. It best to completely replace the litter once every two weeks or so, and thoroughly wash the boxes with soap and water. Keeping a clean litter box is the key to home that smells fresh.
- How much litter should I put in my cat’s litter box? You should keep 2-4” inches of litter in your cat’s box at all times. When you scoop the litter box, remember to top it off with some fresh litter to maintain odor control and an appropriate litter depth.
All of the extra-large cat litter boxes on our list are reliable, high-quality and come recommended by other dedicated cat parents. We’re confident in the features that each litter box offers, and we know that your cat will appreciate your new purchase.