- What is the Best Cat Brush in 2021?
- 7 Benefits of Using a Cat Brush
- Why It’s Important to Brush Your Cat
- 5 Components to Look for in a Cat Brush
- Overall Best Cat Brush
- 4 More Top Cat Brush Picks
- Frequently Asked Questions
A regular brushing and grooming routine helps improve and perpetuate your cat’s lifestyle. Good hygiene is extremely important in keeping your kitty healthy. A well-groomed cat is a happy cat, and brushing them offers a wide variety of health benefits.
Your cat will feel and look better if you brush them weekly. It’s important that you use a brush designed for grooming cats because they are built to be gentle on a cat’s delicate skin and coat. We’ve put together a helpful guide to brushing your cat, which includes our top 7 cat brush recommendations. From this article you will learn why brushing your kitty is so crucial, and how the experience can help them thrive.
What is the Best Cat Brush in 2021?
- FURminator deShedding Edge Cat Brush – Best Overall
- Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Cats – Best Value
- KONG Cat ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush – Cheapest Option
- K9konnection 2 in 1 Cat Hair Remover and Brush
- Resco Wrap Comb for Cats and Other Pets
- Paws & Pals Dog and Cat Deshedding Tool
- JW Pet Gripsoft Cat Slicker Brush
7 Benefits of Using a Cat Brush
A cat brush is a must-have in any kitty-loving home. They are designed to properly groom cats with comfort and ease. The main benefits of using a cat brush are as follows:
- No more tangles or mats: If you routinely brush your cat, you are ultimately assisting in their self-grooming process. By brushing your cat at least once a week you are making sure that their fur doesn’t tangle or become matted. This process is especially crucial for kitties with long hair. When it comes time to give your cat a bath, you won’t have to worry about fighting to detangle mats ahead of times.
- Less cleaning: When you use a cat brush you are removing loose and excess hair that may end up floating around your home. Brushing your cat once a week can lighten the load of cat hair you need to clean up in your house. Sounds great, right?!
- Fewer hairballs: When cats groom and clean themselves, they are ingesting loose hair. This process leads to hairballs. Your kitty will have fewer hairballs to deal with if they don’t have all that excess hair to ingest during self-maintenance.
- Bonding: Spending time brushing your cat will strengthen the bond you have with them. Using a cat grooming brush will also help your kitty get used to being handled and touched with an object. This skillset is helpful when it comes to bathing your cat or bringing them to the veterinarian.
- Keeps their coat healthy: A well-groomed coat is a healthy coat. By maintaining a regular grooming and brushing routine, you’re perpetuating the health of your cat’s delicate skin and coat.
- Stimulates natural oils: Cats have natural oils in their fur that is vital in keeping their coat soft, healthy and hydrating. Using a cat brush will help stimulate the process of natural oils continuing to keep kitty’s coat in beautiful condition.
- Designed for delicate cat fur: Cat brushes are made specifically to groom, de-tangle and de-mat fur. Human brushes don’t offer the same benefits as a cat brush will.
Why It’s Important to Brush Your Cat
Brushing your cat offers far more benefits to your cat than you may realize. Here are some reasons why it’s important to brush your feline friend.
- Brushing your cat removes excess hair as well as dead hair, debris, dirt, and skin flakes.
- It stimulates blood circulation, which then improves the overall condition of your cat’s skin and coat.
- Brushing helps with bonding. When you spend time brushing your cat, it builds the trust you two have. Brushing can be a relaxing experience for your kitty, and it will help them appreciate that time you have together.
- Brushing your kitty will help discover parasites, skin issues or other health concerns.
- Grooming your cat helps to reduce the frequency of hairballs. Can you imagine coughing up hairballs? While they are unavoidable, your cat will get a significantly lower amount of hairballs over their lifetime if you rid them of loose and dead hair.
- It will help when your cat is a senior. Elderly cats cannot groom themselves as meticulously as a young cat can. Brushing your senior cat will be a massive help when it comes to maintenance and staying healthy.
As you can see, brushing your cat is about more than just removing dead and dry fur from their coat. Now let’s look at some components to look for in a good cat grooming brush.
5 Components to Look for in a Cat Brush
Cat brushes generally come in a few standard designs, but there is a multitude of subtle differences to consider. We list those factors here:
- Material: While a majority of cat combs have stainless steel pins to allow for de-tangling of fur, some are made of rubber or other materials for comfortable massaging ability.
- Self-cleaning: Some cat brushes are made to be self-cleaning. Basically, this means that you can push a button and the pins will retract so you can remove all of the excess hair. It’s a nice feature so you can easily clean the brush.
- Handle: Brushing your cat needs to be comfortable for you, too. Many cat brushes are designed to fit comfortably in your hand so your wrist won’t become fatigued during grooming. Design and material of the handle come down to your preference.
- Pin or blade design: Basic cat brushes are designed with stainless steel pins. Others have a blade that is enough to remove loose fur without reaching your cat’s skin. This helps to avoid possible irritation of your cat’s gentle skin.
- Versatility: Some cat brushes will also work for dogs and other household pets. While some brushes are only designed for cats, others can be used for your entire furry crew.
Ready to get brushing?! Start by choosing one of our cat brush recommendations.
Overall Best Cat Brush
|Our 2021 Picks: Best Cat Brush|
|FURminator DeShedding Edge Cat Brush
|Safari Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush For Cats
|KONG Cat ZoomGroom Multi-Use Brush
|K9konnection 2 In 1 Pin & Rubber Dog And Cat Hair Remover
|Resco Wrap Comb For Cats And Other Pets
|Paws & Pals Dog And Cat Deshedding Tool
|JW Pet Gripsoft Cat Slicker Brush
- Designed specifically for cats
- Gently removes undercoat and loose hair
- Ergonomic handle for comfort
- Designed by a groomer
FURminator pet products are highly rated among cat and dog parents, and this cat brush is no exception. It comes greatly recommended from a myriad of happy pet parents who say that this brush is efficient and a “must-have.” Specifically designed to groom cats, this brush is built with a stainless steel edge that reaches your cat’s undercoat without cutting the skin or causing damage to the top coat. An ergonomic handle makes this cat brush easy and comfortable to handle.
This FURminator de-shedding cat brush will work well for any cat. It reduces shedding by up to 90% when used regularly. The curved edge of the brush will conform to your cat’s body structure and remove safely remove loose hair and debris. Your cat will definitely enjoy brushing time with this FURminator tool, and it will help reduce hairballs to boot!
- FURminator is a trusted pet grooming brand
- Curved edge helps brush every angle of your cat’s body
- Comfortable handle
- Significantly reduces shedding when used routinely
- Won’t damage your cat’s top coat or skin
- Only recommended for use on cats, and not other household pets
- Built with retractable pins for self-cleaning
- Gentle, stainless steel pins
- Grip handle for added comfort
- Easy to clean and maintain
Runner-Up Best Cat Brush: This slicker cat brush may look like a standard brush, but it has an innovative retractable pin design. After brushing your cat, simply touch the button to watch the pins retract and your cat’s hair fall out of the brush. No more tangles in your cat’s comb with this Safari self-cleaning brush! Once you retract the stainless steel pins, you can wipe the pad to sanitize it.
We like this cat brush because it’s simple yet comfortable for humans to handle and clean. Since the retractable pins allow you to clean the brush so easily, it will last longer. The pins are gentle on your cat’s coat so they won’t irritate their skin. You can now brush your cat with minimal effort, and keep your kitty and home free of excess fur.
- Simplistic design
- Easy to clean and manage
- Great for any cats
- Good for trapping fine cat hair
- Pins aren’t as flexible as some other brush options
- Affordable for any budget
- Can be used on cats, dogs, and other animals
- Comfortable massaging design
- Made from durable material
Best Budget-Friendly Cat Brush: This multi-use cat brush doubles as a massaging tool and de-shedder. The fingers on this cat brush are made of rubber, and they will softly massage your cat’s skin while removing excess hair. Loose hair will cling to the rubber brush so you don’t have to worry about it flying away or getting stuck.
The KONG cat brush is affordable and offers a good opportunity to bond with your cat. They will appreciate the gentle rubbing against their fur, as it can relieve stress and anxiety. You can even use this brush when bathing your cat, as it will help massage shampoo into their fur. The brush is easy to clean and sanitize. This easy-grip brush is simple to handle, maintain and brush your kitty with. You can also use this KONG cat brush on other animals in your home.
- Can be used on cats and other household pets
- Offers gentle, massaging benefits
- Soft on the skin
- Easy to clean and handle
- Use it for bathing your cat to massage shampoo into their coat
- Will not remove mats and tangles as effectively as other pin brushes
4 More Top Cat Brush Picks
Whether your cat’s hair is tangled or you need a gentle massaging tool to remove loose hair, this cat brush from K9konnections is a great choice. Metal bristles on one side of the brush will help remove tangles and mats. Rubber backing on the other side will massage your cat’s coat while gently removing excess fur. You can even use the rubber side of the brush to remove hair off clothing and furniture. This brush is comfortable to use, and it’s made with a rubber handle.
This cat brush is designed to easily fit in your hand without putting a strain on your wrist. The trusted design helps reduce strain when brushing your feline friend. Tapered pins are rounded at the ends to ensure a comfortable and safe grooming experience. The pins are made from stainless steel and the brush’s material are anti-static. Groom your cat, dog, and other pets at home with this simple yet effective brushing tool.
This is an extremely affordable cat brush which safely removes excess pet hair and dander to keep your kitty looking and feeling their best. The short stainless steel comb removes loose hair from your cat’s undercoat without harming their skin. A comfortable handle allows you to brush your cat with superior control and without fatigue. This cat brush will get the job done for an excellent price. Plus you can use it on your canine companion!
This is another budget-friendly cat brush. The non-slip grip handle allows you to brush and groom your cat’s fur with precision and efficiency. Angled pins help detangle your cat’s matted fur, and they will be safe to use on cats with sensitive skin. The brush is ideal for routine brushing and grooming, whether you have a cat with long or short hair. It’s a basic cat brush, but it will get the job done for a fantastic price!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I stop my cat from shedding? – Brushing your cat regularly (once or twice a week) can drastically decrease shedding. Brushes will remove loose fur so it doesn’t escape your cat’s body and end up in the air or on furniture. Keeping up a consistent brushing routine is the first step to reducing shedding. You can also give your cat a bath to remove excess fur, but be sure to use a shampoo specifically made for cats.
- Does brushing a cat make it shed more? – No. Brushing a cat removes loose and excess fur, and it helps with your cat’s self-grooming routine. Daily and weekly brushing remove dead hair that would otherwise end up floating around your home or causing more frequent hairballs.
- How often should you brush your cat? – It’s recommended that you brush your cat 1 to 3 times a week. Long hair cats may need more frequent brushing. Senior cats or disabled cats may also need more frequent grooming in the case that they are not able to effectively clean themselves to the full extent.
- Do cats like getting brushed? – Every cat is different. Some cats love being brushed while others may strongly dislike the process. If you have a kitten, it’s best to start brushing them young so they can get used to the feeling. If your cat is new to brushing, start slowly. You don’t want to cause unnecessary stress for your furry friend.
Brushing your cat should be a stress-free, relaxing experience for everyone involved. Choosing the best cat brush for your feline buddy will help the grooming process tremendously. If you discover that your cat may have parasites or additional health concerns, seek veterinary attention immediately.