- What Is Best Hypoallergenic Cat Treat?
- 3 Benefits of Using Cat Hypoallergenic Treats
- Common Allergies & Intolerances in Cats
- 5 Components to Look for in Hypoallergenic Cat Treats
- Overall Best Hypoallergenic Cat Treats in 2020
- 4 More Top Hypoallergenic Cat Treats
- Frequently Asked Questions
It can be incredibly stressful to watch your cat suffer from allergies. It can also be a daunting task to find a cat treat that your kitty can enjoy without having an adverse reaction. Thankfully there are some terrific hypoallergenic cat treats available for our feline friends who battle a variety of different allergies.
We’ve put together a comprehensive guide to choosing the best hypoallergenic cat treats for your kitty, with 7 excellent product recommendations. When picking out the best treat for your cat, always remember to take their unique sensitives into consideration.
What Is Best Hypoallergenic Cat Treat?
- PureBites Chicken Breast Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Treats
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken & Turkey Grain-Free Cat Treats
- Wellness Kittles Grain-Free Tuna & Cranberries Recipe Crunchy Cat Treats
- Hill’s Prescription Diet Hypo-Treats Cat Treats
- Cat-Man-Doo Extra Large Dried Bonito Flakes Cat Treats
- Blue Buffalo Kitty Yums Savory Salmon Cat Treats
- Sheba Meaty Tender Sticks Tuna Flavored Cat Treats
3 Benefits of Using Cat Hypoallergenic Treats
Offering your cat hypoallergenic cat treats can be highly beneficial:
- Treat your cat despite food allergies: If your cats has sensitive digestions or food allergies, hypoallergenic cat treats will most likely be safe for your kitty to ingest. Your cat shouldn’t have to be left out just because they have a sensitive tummy.
- A limited ingredient list can be beneficial: When cat treats are made with limited ingredients, that doesn’t always mean they are healthy. However, with most hypoallergenic cat treats, a limited ingredient list is a good thing. Your cat probably won’t be eating artificial ingredients and unnecessary additives.
- Uncover what your cat is allergic to: You may not know yet what exactly causes your cat’s allergic reactions. Feeding hypoallergenic cat treats made without grains, dairy or soy may help you determine if your feline friend is indeed allergic to one of those common ingredients, or if the reactions could be the cause of something else.
Common Allergies & Intolerances in Cats
Allergies and sensitivities in cats vary just as much as they do in humans, but there are some common allergy trends to make note of. It’s important to pinpoint what exactly your cat is allergic to so you can cease feeding them specific types of food and treats. Common food allergies in cats include:
- Grains: Cats are carnivores and will not naturally eat grains in the wild. Therefore, some cats cannot properly digest grain. Corn is a fairly common allergy trigger.
- Dairy: It’s not uncommon for adult cats to be allergic to dairy.
- Meat byproducts: Byproducts are parts of an animal that humans typically will not eat, including specific organs and fat tissue. Some cats can be sensitive to proteins which are found in byproducts.
- Seafood: This has got to be the toughest allergy. Can you imagine being a kitty who’s allergic to seafood? It happens. Thankfully there are plenty of other flavored treats available.
- Artificial flavors and preservatives: This is a common allergy in both cats and humans. All of the hypoallergenic cat treats on our list are made without any artificial flavors or preservatives.
5 Components to Look for in Hypoallergenic Cat Treats
Not all hypoallergenic cat treats will be appropriate for every cat. Each kitty has different allergies, sensitivities and health concerns, so it’s crucial that you choose a cat treat based on your feline friend’s needs. Consider some of the components below when picking out the best limited ingredient cat treats:
- Source of protein: It’s possible that your cat is allergic to seafood or certain types of protein. Obviously that protein needs to be avoided when picking out treats. Always check the ingredients list to be sure that the treats don’t contain anything that your cat is allergic to.
- Soft or crunchy: There are a multitude of both crunchy and tender treats on the market today. You can choose from what seems like endless flavors in both types of treats. If your cat is missing teeth or they have oral sensitivity, a soft treat will be best. Just make sure you completely seal the bag so the treats don’t dry out and harden.
- Hydrolyzed protein: If your kitty suffers from severe digestive or stomach issues, hydrolyzed protein is worth considering. Hydrolyzed proteins have already been partially broken down so they will be easier for your cat to digest. Hydrolyzed protein treats are best for cats with general digestive concerns, rather than a specific food allergy.
- Other ingredients: While some of the treats on our list of recommendations only contain one ingredient, others are formulated with several. Always check the ingredients list on your bag of cat treats to ensure they don’t have any ingredient that will make your cat ill or cause an allergic reaction.
- Caloric intake: If your kitty is overweight or has diabetes, it’s best to buy a treat that is 2 calories or less. Hypoallergenic cat treats generally range anywhere from 1.5 to 3 calories per snack.
Overall Best Hypoallergenic Cat Treats in 2020
|Our 2020 Picks: Best Hypoallergenic Cat Treats|
|PureBites Chicken Breast Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken & Turkey Grain-Free Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Wellness Kittles Grain-Free Tuna & Cranberries Recipe Crunchy Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Hill’s Prescription Diet Hypo-Treats Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Cat-Man-Doo Extra Large Dried Bonito Flakes Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Blue Buffalo Kitty Yums Savory Salmon Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Sheba Meaty Tender Sticks Tuna Flavored Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
- Only ingredient is chicken breast
- Easy to chew and break into smaller bites
- Can double as a food topper
- Suitable for dogs and other pets who can eat chicken
Overall Best Hypoallergenic Cat Treats – PureBites freeze-dried treats are a premium choice for cats with food allergies because they are made with only one ingredient. These delectable chicken treats are made with USA sourced chicken breast, which is 100% pure and natural. There are absolutely no fillers or additives in these treats, so you can feed them to your kitty knowing that they won’t cause an upset tummy.
PureBites are a trustworthy option for your kitty with food allergies or sensitivities because they are naturally gluten and grain-free. These high protein snacks can be broken into smaller pieces or crumbled over food to entice finicky eaters. Since chicken is the only ingredient in these hypoallergenic cat treats, they are also suitable for canine companions and other household pets who may enjoy chicken. PureBites are available in a variety of other proteins.
- Only 2 calories per treat
- Great for cats and dogs with food allergies
- Can be broken into smaller bites or used as a food topper
- Available in other meat types
- Sourced and made in the USA
- Unfortunately these treats only come in small bags, so you may need to purchase several if you have multiple cats.
- Soft, moist morsels are easy to eat
- Does not contain any by-products, grains, corn, wheat, soy or artificial flavors
- Only 1.5 calories per treat
- Enhanced with vitamins and minerals
Runner-Up Best Hypoallergenic Cat Treats – Every soft bite in a bag of Blue Buffalo grain-free cat treats are packed full of flavor and nutrition without all of the ingredients which may upset your cat’s sensitive stomach. If your kitty suffers from food allergies, these tender morsels are a solid option to consider. They don’t contain any by-product meals, grains, corn, wheat, soy or artificial flavors. The protein-rich snacks are formulated with lean protein and a blend of vitamins and minerals to support your cat’s wellbeing.
Cat parents can purchase these hypoallergenic cat treats in a multitude of different flavors. They are made in the USA with chicken and turkey as the top ingredients to ensure quality. To give your carnivorous kitty a delightful reward that won’t cause any adverse effects, we highly suggest considering these treats from Blue Buffalo.
- Free of grain, wheat, corn, soy and artificial flavors and preservatives
- Made in the USA
- Chicken and turkey are the top ingredients
- Soft, tender treats are good for cats with sensitive teeth
- Formulated with essential vitamins and minerals
- These treats are only available in one size bag.
- Tuna is the first ingredient
- 100% all natural and grain-free
- Crunchy texture promotes dental health
- Now available in a 6oz bag
Best Budget-Friendly Hypoallergenic Cat Treats – Wellness Kittles are a delightful, crunchy treat that will suit your kitty’s restricted diet. Made with tuna as the first ingredient, these hypoallergenic cat treats are protein-rich, and 100% all natural. They are grain-free and contain a blend of wholesome ingredient such as chickpeas, peas, blueberries, cranberries and more. These cat treats are packed full of flavor and nutrition to give your feline friend a healthy boost.
Wellness Kittles come in fun, crunchy shapes that will help clean your cat’s teeth and promote good oral health. The teeth-cleaning formula will help to keep your cat’s breath smelling great. Most importantly, these treats are less than 2 calories per snack, and they don’t contain any grains, wheat, corn, soy or artificial flavors or preservatives. Wellness Kittles are now available in a larger 6oz bag for multi-cat homes.
- No corn, wheat, soy, grains or artificial flavors
- Tuna is the first ingredient
- Crunchy shapes help clean teeth and freshen breath
- A blend of savory ingredients give your cat a nutritional boost
- Available in two size bags
- May be difficult for cat with sensitive teeth to eat
4 More Top Hypoallergenic Cat Treats
If your cat has severe allergies or food sensitivities, you may want to try a prescription cat treat. While these limited ingredient cat treats do require authorization from a veterinarian, Hill’s Prescription Diet Hypo-Treats are worth that extra step. They are formulated with hydrolyzed chicken that will help alleviate the risk of your cat having an adverse reaction to the treats. Ingredients in these hypoallergenic cat treats include omega-3 and 6 fatty acids to help nourish your kitty’s skin and coat. They also contain a blend of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to support your cat’s skin barrier, in the case that allergies have caused irritation. In addition to the other benefits we noted, these crunchy hypo-treats will clean your kitty’s pearly whites with every bite to help maintain a sparkling, healthy smile.
For a delectable protein treat made with one ingredient, another great option is these bonito (tuna) flakes from Cat-Man-Doo. The only ingredient is tuna, so you won’t find any additives or preservatives in these hypoallergenic cat treats. Bonito is high in protein and low in calories with very minimal fat content, making these snacks appropriate for routine use. You can even use them as a food topper! Cat-Man-Doo bonito flakes can be fed to cats, dogs or other animals who may enjoy tasty tuna. If you have a large crew of pets in your home, you can purchase a 4oz bag to share with the crowd.
We like these Blue Buffalo Kitty Yums cat treats because they come in tender squares that are full of savory flavor and wholesome ingredients. Salmon is the first ingredient in these hypoallergenic cat treats, with brown rice and maple syrup to fuel your kitty’s adventures. Each bite is packed with taurine, fish oil and lean protein to give your kitty the nutritional value that they need to thrive. Blue Buffalo Kitty Yums are made in the USA without any corn, wheat, soy or artificial preservatives. Cat parents can buy these savory limited ingredient cat treats in other flavors, as well.
To give your cat a fun treat-eating experience, try these Sheba Meaty Tender Sticks! They can be offered as an entire stick or broken into smaller bites. These soft cat treats are good for kitties with sensitive stomachs because they don’t contain any corn wheat or soy. Sheba Meaty Tender Sticks are individually wrapped to preserve freshness. We like that they are affordable and can be purchased in a variety of delectable flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can you tell if your cat has a food allergy? There are several signs and symptoms to look for if you believe your cat has a food allergy. These include vomiting, diarrhea, hair loss, excessive scratching, chronic ear infections, coughing, sneezing and dry, irritated skin. If your cat is showing any of these symptoms, we suggest seeking veterinary care. They will be able to help determine the cause of the allergies, and get your kitty on an appropriate health plan.
- What ingredient in cat food causes allergies? Your cat may be allergic to one ingredient or several. Allergies differ from cat to cat, just as they do in humans. Common food allergies are caused by meat byproducts, eggs, grain, soy, wheat, dairy and artificial flavors or preservatives.
- What do you feed a cat with a chicken allergy? Thankfully chicken is just one of many cat food and treat flavors. Other delicious proteins available for our feline friends are lamb, duck, turkey, salmon, tuna and more!
It’s important to remember that no cat treat brand or type is completely hypoallergenic to every single cat. We suggest seeking veterinary council if your need help pinpointing your cat’s allergies to ensure they receive proper care for their overall well being.