- What Is Best Cat Calming Treat?
- 5 Benefits of Using Cat Calming Treats
- Other Ways to Reduce Your Cat’s Stress & Anxiety
- 5 Components to Look for in Cat Calming Treats
- Overall Best Cat Calming Treats in 2023
- More Top Cat Calming Treats
- Frequently Asked Questions
Cats can experience stress and anxiety the same way people can. Whether your cat has general anxiety or they become stressed under various circumstances, you do have options to help them!
Cat calming treats are an inexpensive, simple way to offer your cat the relaxation they need. No human or animal enjoys the feeling of being continuously stressed, and your kitty is counting on you for help.
Calming treats can help take the edge off when your cat is put in a stressful situation, or if they are dealing with an environmental change. In this guide we’ll help you decide which cat calming treats will be best for your kitty based on several factors. We also have a detailed list of recommendations that are worth trying out!
What Is Best Cat Calming Treat?
- Pet Naturals of Vermont Calming Cat Chews
- VetriScience Composure Behavioral Health Bite-Sized Cat Chews
- GNC Pets Ultra Mega Calming Formula Chicken Flavor Soft Chews
- NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid Plus Melatonin Soft Cat Chews
- Tomlyn Relax & Calm Chicken Flavor Small Dog & Cat Supplement
- Ark Naturals Happy Traveler Dog & Cat Soft Chews
- Pet Naturals of Vermont Calming Dog & Cat Chews
5 Benefits of Using Cat Calming Treats
Your cat may be suffering from anxiety and stress for a variety of reasons. Luckily cat calming treats offer several benefits so your cat can start regularly feeling like themselves. Here we highlight those benefits:
- Reduce general anxiety or nervousness: Most cat parents seek the help of cat calming treats to help reduce their cat’s general anxiety or stress. Calming chews contain ingredients which produce a calming effect, assisting in the reduction of nervousness and related symptoms.
- Ideal for stressful situations: Cats can experience heightened stress during thunderstorms, fireworks or other loud circumstances. Administering cat calming chews in these times of stress will alleviate your kitty’s anxiety.
- Soothe an upset stomach: Some cat calming treats are formulated with natural ingredients such as ginger to help soothe your cat’s upset tummy. An upset stomach is often caused by stress, or vice versa. Many kitties also experience an upset stomach during travel, but calming treats can help.
- Helps with changes in your everyday environment: Perhaps you’re in the process of moving or you’ve added a new member to your family. Any slight change in your everyday routine can make a cat anxious. Calming treats will help ease your cat into the new environment.
- Treat your kitty: Cat calming treats make a delicious reward! Whether you are offering your cat a daily treat or only during specific times, calming treats can be entirely savory and wholesome.
Other Ways to Reduce Your Cat’s Stress & Anxiety
There are a multitude of factors that may be contributing to your cat’s anxiety. Change in routine, travel, vet visits or loud noises are some of the common reasons that cat parents seek the help of calming aids. Besides treating your cat with a calming chew, there are some additional ways in which you can reduce your cat’s stress.
For cats who get nervous during storms or fireworks, you may try a Thundershirt for cats. If you can prepare for thunderstorms or loud noises, try playing with your cat for 20 minutes before they are subjected to the sounds. A physically exhausted cat is less likely to be mentally anxious. It’s also a good idea to create a safe, quiet place for your cat to escape chaos. Try playing some classical music or putting on a movie as some soothing background noise.
For cats experiencing severe anxiety, it’s best to seek veterinary attention. A vet can prescribe medications which may help more than over the counter options.
5 Components to Look for in Cat Calming Treats
Cat treats that are specifically made for calming your furry friend have a few important features that you’ll need to consider before making a final purchase:
- Active ingredients: Calming cat treats generally have the same active ingredients, but some treats offer more of a sedative effect than others. If you need calming treats for traveling, you may consider choosing a treat with melatonin or tryptophan. These two ingredients will make your kitty very sleepy.
- Crunchy or soft: Cat calming treats seem to come in a soft chew a majority of the time. It’s easy to break soft chews into smaller bits for cats with sensitive teeth. You may need to search a little harder if your kitty prefers crunchy treats.
- Suitable for cats and dogs: If you have dogs and cats at home, you may want to buy a calming cat treat that is also suitable for your canine buddy. We have a couple of these multi-pet calming chews on our list of recommendations.
- Flavor: Chicken is a popular flavor among our feline friends, so it’s no surprise that most of the cat calming treats we reviewed are only offered in a savory chicken flavor. Different flavored calming chews are less common.
- Frequency of use: While most calming cat treats are appropriate for daily use, some that contain ingredients which produce sedative effects may not be the best to give your cat on a regular basis. Always check the labeling for proper instructions.
Overall Best Cat Calming Treats in 2023
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Cat Calming Treats|
|Pet Naturals Of Vermont Calming Cat Chews
|VetriScience Composure Behavioral Health Bite-Sized Cat Chews
|GNC Pets Ultra Mega Calming Formula Chicken Flavor Soft Chews
|NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid Plus Melatonin Soft Cat Chews
|Tomlyn Relax & Calm Chicken Flavor Small Dog & Cat Supplement
|Ark Naturals Happy Traveler Dog & Cat Soft Chews
|Pet Naturals Of Vermont Calming Dog & Cat Chews
- Not a sedative
- Helps manage everyday stress
- 3 ingredients work naturally to calm your cat
- Suitable for daily use
Overall Best Cat Calming Treats – Pet Naturals of Vermont are made with potent, natural ingredients which work together to calm your cat down without affecting their personality. These calming chews are not a sedative, so you can reduce your cat’s stress levels while avoiding a reduction in their energy. Pet Naturals of Vermont Calming Cat Chews are known for being effective when given daily to reduce stress related behavioral concerns.
You can administer these cat calming treats on a routine basis to help with anxiety related to vet visits, thunderstorms, destructive behavior, excessive scratching and other issues. You can give your cat one of these natural calming treats daily or on an as-needed basis. The delicious chicken liver flavor is sure to be a big hit with your feline friend. Pet Naturals of Vermont are proudly manufactured in the USA.
- 3 active ingredients work to naturally relax your cat
- Can be used daily or as-needed
- Treats work as a calming aid, rather than a sedative
- Made in the USA
- Delicious, soft consistency
- These cat calming treats only come in one bag size.
- Veterinarian formulated
- Safe for long term use
- Eases nervousness without affecting your cat’s personality
- Begins working in 20-30 minutes
Runner-Up Best Cat Calming Treats – VetriScience has been making innovative pet products for over 40 years. These cat calming chews come from a long line of trusted supplements made for the well-being of our beloved companions. VetriScience calming cat chews are created with a delicious chicken liver flavor that your cat will absolutely love. They are soft and small enough for a kitty’s delicate teeth and digestion.
If your cat is exhibiting stress or anxiety-related behavior, these calming treats can help. One chew will begin working in approximately 20-30 minutes. The effective calming formula will relax your kitty without affecting their personality or energy level. VetriScience cat calming chews can be given 1-2 times daily, or on an as-needed basis.
- Fast-acting formula begins working in as little as 20 minutes
- Formulated by veterinarians
- Designed to calm your cat without affecting personality or energy
- Soft consistency with a chicken liver flavor
- Manufactured in the USA
- Some cat parents reported these chews quickly becoming hardened if the package is not completely sealed.
- Suitable for cats of all ages
- Great for cats with sensitive teeth
- Made in the USA
- Formulated with L-theanine to help encourage relaxation
Best Budget-Friendly Cat Calming Treats – GNC cat calming treats are made to reduce stress in a variety of situations. Whether you are traveling with your cat or they suffer from everyday environmental stress, these calming chews can help. They are scientifically formulated with ingredients such as L-theanine, thiamine and colostrum to relax your kitty as necessary.
We like that these GNC cat calming treats are suitable for kitties of all ages. The treats have a soft consistency for cats with missing or sensitive teeth. They also break apart easily. Your cat will love the chicken flavor of these calming chews, and cat parents will appreciate that they are made in the USA to ensure quality and safety. These GNC calming cat treats have earned the National Animal Supplement Council Quality seal of approval.
- Appropriate for cats at any life stage
- Chewy treats are great for cats with sensitive teeth
- Made in the USA
- Scientifically formulated to relax your cat using 3 main ingredients
- Savory chicken flavor
- GNC chews will harden quickly if not sealed and stored properly.
More Top Cat Calming Treats
The calming treats from NaturVet contain melatonin, so these chews are best administered for situational anxiety like traveling. Melatonin is a natural chemical that the body produces to help relax. These natural cat calming treats offer a relaxing effect for about 3-4 hours. They are also formulated with ginger to help cats who may become motion sick while traveling. Ginger aids in supporting sensitive stomachs, as well. Some cat parents have stated that the treats are very smelly, which some cats enjoy more than others.
Tomlyn calming supplements are made with a high amount of L-tryptophan, chamomile and ginger to naturally relax your cat. They support reduced hyperactivity without sedating your cat. These calming chews are veterinarian formulated, and they are suitable for both adult cats and small dogs. Proven ingredients are effective in helping cats during storms, travel, loud noises and other stress-inducing circumstances.
Ark Naturals are non-habit forming soft chews made with a blend of all-natural herbal ingredients. They are veterinarian recommended to relax your cat for vet visits, thunderstorms, fireworks or other stressful situations. They help ease anxiety as well as motion sickness and tension. Ark Naturals calming treats are made in the USA, and are appropriate for canine and feline friends who are over 12 weeks old.
If you have dogs and cats in your home, you may consider purchasing these calming chews from Pet Naturals of Vermont. Our overall top calming cat treats are also from Pet Naturals of Vermont, but this option is suitable for dogs as well. These soft chews contain a healthy blend of vitamin B and L-theanine to support balanced behavior and a calming effect. They will be best in times of high stress for both your cat and dog. Pet Naturals of Vermont calming cat and dog chews offer a savory chicken liver flavor.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do calming treats work for cats? Calming treats for cats are made to alleviate stress and anxiety, while often easing an upset stomach. They are formulated with specific ingredients that produce a calming effect. There are also calming kibble diets available for cats. Both calming treats and food have been proven to help cats who battle regular stress and nervousness.
- How can you tell if a cat is stressed out? Cats who are experiencing stress or anxiety will often show behavioral symptoms. Some of these include improper elimination, excessive scratching, isolation, decreased appetite, increased sleeping and excessive grooming. Cats express stress in different ways, so it’s important to evaluate your kitty’s behavior on a regular basis.
- How can I calm my cat down at night? Cat calming treats will help calm your cat, but if you are in need of a supplement for nighttime, buy a cat treat with melatonin or tryptophan. Both of those ingredients will cause your kitty to be sleepy, helping them to relax at night.
We know it’s important that you get your feline friend back to feeling fantastic again. It’s not fun to watch our companions suffer, but cat parents do have safe options. Cat calming treats are inexpensive so if they aren’t effective for your cat, the investment didn’t break the bank. It’s best to seek veterinary advice if you do not know how to help your kitty further.