Medicated dog shampoo can be extremely helpful in healing even the worst skin conditions that your beloved canine companion may be suffering from. Whether they simply have dry, itchy skin or there’s a more serious concern like ringworm or seborrhea, a medicated shampoo can heal and treat it. As well as having strong active ingredients, medicated dog shampoos are typically formulated with ingredients to help soothe and renew your dog’s skin and coat.
Our goal with this guide is to help you choose the best medicated shampoo for your dog. We provide beneficial information that will help you determine which type of medicated shampoo you need for your dog’s specific condition. We also have some extremely effective suggestions for you, which we’ve determined are the best medicated dog shampoos on the market.
What is the Best Medicated Shampoo for Dogs?
- Malaseb Medicated Shampoo for Dogs
- Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog Shampoo
- Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Dog Shampoo
- Relief Shampoo With Pramoxine and Colloidal Oatmeal
- Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Sebozole Shampoo for Dogs
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Anti-Septic
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Anti-Parasitic
5 Benefits of Using a Medicated Dog Shampoo
Medicated shampoo can be used to treat a variety of skin conditions. You may be surprised to find out how beneficial medicated shampoo can be. It can offer immense relief for our pups. We list some of the other benefits below:
- Target a specific skin condition: Unlike regular dog shampoos, medicated shampoos work to target problem areas from specific dermatological concerns. They contain active ingredients which heal the skin and coat, and provide relief from severe dryness and irritation.
- Start working immediately: Unlike medication or other potential solutions, medicated dog shampoos begin working immediately as they make contact with your dog’s skin. Your pup may experience immediate relief! For continued results, use the shampoo as often as necessary and directed.
- Help with minor to severe skin issues: Whether your dog has itchy skin due to allergies or something more serious like ringworm, an appropriate medicated dog shampoo can provide relief and skin hydration.
- Budget-friendly option to heal your dog: Buying a medicated dog shampoo to heal and treat your dog’s skin condition is much more cost-effective than taking a more dramatic approach. It’s a good idea to start with a medicated shampoo as the first solution to healing your dog’s skin issue.
- Can help prevent problems: If you are using a medicated dog shampoo for regular baths, it could help prevent dry, itchy skin from becoming a recurring issue. Anti-fungal, anti-parasitic and anti-bacterial dog shampoos generally have ingredients which help stop symptoms from coming back in the future.
Conditions That Medicated Dog Shampoo Can Help Address
Medicated dog shampoo can help treat a multitude of skin and coat issues. These include:
- Fleas, ticks and lice
- Bacterial and fungal infections
- Dry, itchy skin
- Hot spots
- Red, irritated skin
- Greasy coat
- Scaly skin
5 Components to Look for in a Medicated Dog Shampoo
When choosing a medicated dog shampoo, it’s important to buy one that will target your dog’s skin and coat issues in particular. Look for the following components when deciding which medicated dog shampoo will be best for your pup:
- Active ingredients: Different medicated shampoos have unique ingredients for fighting specific dermatological concerns. The bottle of shampoo you are considering will visibly list the ingredients so you can make an educated decision. Remember to consult your vet with questions!
- Soothing ingredients: If your dog has very dry and itchy skin, you may want to buy a medicated shampoo that is formulated with oatmeal or aloe vera. These two natural ingredients provide immediate itch relief.
- For dogs with sensitive skin: Some ingredients in medicated shampoos may be too harsh for dogs with skin sensitivities. You may want to consider a shampoo with all natural ingredients to help your dog who has severely sensitive skin or allergies.
- Appropriate for routine use: There are medicated shampoos that are appropriate for frequent bathing, regardless of their skin and coat condition. You can save money by purchasing a medicated dog shampoo which can also be used for routine baths.
- Acts as a parasite preventative: Many medicated anti-parasitic dog shampoos double as an effective flea and tick preventative. They often kill the pests, then prevent them from re-infecting your pup.
Overall Best Medicated Dog Shampoo
|Our 2022 Picks: Best Medicated Shampoo for Dogs|
|Malaseb Medicated Shampoo For Dogs
|Douxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog Shampoo
|Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Dog Shampoo
|Paws & Pals Oatmeal, Shea Butter & Aloe Vera Shampoo
|Vetoquinol Vet Solutions Sebozole Shampoo For Dogs
|Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Anti-Septic
|Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Anti-Parasitic
- Helps fight skin infection and conditions which are responsive to miconazole nitrate and chlorhexidine gluconate.
- Cleans and degreases your dog’s skin and coat
- Appropriate for dogs, cats and horses
- Fragrance-free for sensitive dogs
This therapeutic dog shampoo is medicated to fight dermatological issues associated with a variety of bacterial or fungal infections. Any infection that would be responsive to the active ingredients, miconazole nitrate and chlorhexidine gluconate, can be treated with this Malaseb medicated shampoo. Some examples include yeast infections, ringworm or scaly, inflamed skin.
Of course this dog shampoo will gently cleanse your dog’s skin and coat. It’s fragrance-free for the most sensitive pups. The shampoo will clean and treat your dog without stripping their coat of its natural oils. Malaseb medicated dog shampoo uses anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agents to heal and treat your dog so they can get back to living their best life!
- Treats severe dermatological issues
- Helps heal dry, itchy, scaly skin
- Suitable for use on cats and horses also
- Fragrance-free for sensitive pups
- More expensive than other medicated shampoos, but other dog parents report that it’s extremely effective.
- Active ingredients help control fungi and bacterial infections
- Treats severe skin conditions
- Protects your dog’s skin with a layer of film to prevent further irritation
- Great for dogs with severely dry and itchy skin
Runner-Up Best Medicated Dog Shampoo for Allergies: While this medicated shampoo isn’t exactly cost-effective, it will get the job done in terms of treating many moderate to severe skin conditions. Whether your dog has a bacterial or fungal skin infection, or they are struggling with inflamed, itchy skin, this medicated shampoo from Douxo can help get it under control and restore moisture to your pup’s skin.
Dog parents report that this medicated shampoo lathers well. Washing your dog with Douxo will deposit a safe film onto their fur which will protect against irritation and further loss of moisture. This shampoo contains anti-inflammatory and anti-seborrheic properties. It will help eliminate itching and redness associated with a multitude of skin conditions. Fellow pet parents have said that this shampoo is great for ringworm, dermatitis, flakey skin, allergies and other common conditions.
- Assists in the treatment of moderate to severe skin conditions
- Provides relief for dry, itchy skin
- Restores moisture and softness to your dog’s skin and coat
- Prevents further irritation by depositing a protective film
- Appropriate for dogs and cats
- This medicated dog shampoo is not inexpensive.
- Some pet parents say that the smell of this shampoo is less than desirable.
- Can help treat mange, dermatitis, canine acne and other skin conditions
- Flushes and cleanses the hair follicles
- Hydrates the skin and coat
- Prevents dryness and irritation
Best Budget-Friendly Medicated Dog Shampoo: This medicated dog shampoo from Davis Veterinary Products will deeply penetrate the skin to heal treat mange, seborrheic dermatitis, canine and feline acne and other related skin issues. The shampoo works to flush the hair follicles while restoring moisture and hydration for superior healing. Natural moisturizing agents ensure relief from irritation and dryness.
Davis medicated dog shampoo is also helpful for greasy, oily hair. It’s also been known to help with mites. The shampoo is made in the USA and can be used to wash our canine and feline pals. After using this medicated shampoo, your dog is sure to feel much more comfortable as they begin their healing process.
- Appropriate for skin conditions on dogs and cats
- Hydrates skin and restores moisture
- Treats, heals and prevents dry, itchy skin associated with a variety of skin conditions
- Not intended to treat puppies or kittens
More Top Medicated Dog Shampoos
This medicated shampoo is specifically formulated to provide relief for dogs with dry, itchy skin. The colloidal oatmeal restores moisture to the skin, with Omega-6 fatty acids protect the outer layer of your dog’s skin. The shampoo cleanses your dog’s skin and coat, reducing flakiness and restoring luster. This medicated dog shampoo is soap-free and ideal for pups with sensitive skin. Relief Shampoo is also cost-effective for pet parents on any budget.
Vetoquinol medicated dog shampoo is made with veterinary-grade ingredients to treat skin conditions as a cause of infection. This therapeutic shampoo contains the active ingredients Miconazole Nitrate and Chloroxylenol, which possess anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-seborrheic properties. All of these elements work together to create a quality dog shampoo which will treat and heal your dog’s skin and coat on a routine basis. It’s appropriate for use on dogs and cats that could benefit from specific healing agents.
This medicated shampoo from Veterinary Formula Clinical Care comes highly rated via other dog parents. This cost-effective option will deodorize your dog’s skin and coat while offering relief from pyoderma and dermatitis. If your dog has been suffering from a fungal or bacterial infection, this shampoo can help. It contains aloe vera for soothing the skin and perpetuating the healing process. This shampoo is paraben free and safe to use on dogs and cats.
If your dog is affected by fleas, ticks or lice, you will want to try this medicated shampoo from Veterinary Formula Clinical Care. The formula contains ingredients which kill fleas and ticks while rejuvenating the skin. It helps soothe dry, itchy and irritated skin as a result of flea bites or other dermatological conditions. Included in this medicated shampoo are oatmeal and allantoin to promote healing and moisturize the skin. It’s soap, dye and paraben-free to avoid further drying out of the skin. This medicated shampoo is only suitable for adult dogs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does medicated dog shampoo expire? – Like most other products, medicated dog shampoo does have an expiration date. It’s important that you adhere to that date because the longer you have the shampoo sitting around, the more likely it is that bacteria will grow in the bottle. If you use an expired shampoo on your dog, it could potentially cause a slew of new skin problems, including infection.
- What does coal tar do? – Coal tar is used in some medicated dog shampoos to treat issues like dandruff, oily and greasy coats and dry, itchy skin.
- Can I use human shampoo on my dog? – We highly suggest staying away from using any type of human shampoo to bathe your dog. Shampoos intended for humans may contain chemicals or ingredients which will quickly irritate your dog’s skin and coat, and dry it out immensely. We know you have the best of intentions, but it’s crucial that you only use dog-specific shampoo when bathing your pup.
- How often should I bathe my dog with medicated shampoo? – The frequency of which you bathe your dog with medicated shampoo depends on their skin condition and the type of shampoo. Always use the shampoo as directed on the bottle. If you’re unsure of the best bathing regimen for your dog, make an appointment with your veterinarian. They will have the safest advice.
It can be stressful for everyone when your canine pal is struggling with an unfortunate skin issue. Luckily most skin conditions are highly treatable. While some dermatological concerns may require a stronger shampoo to be used frequently, your dog will be feeling better in no time. Medicated dog shampoos often offer immediate relief so your dog will stop itching and start playing instead!
Remember to always consult your veterinary if you have specific questions and concerns about your dog’s health. If you aren’t sure which medicated shampoo is going to be best for your dog, we highly recommend asking your vet. They will be able to suggest the best treatment and shampoo for your particular needs.