Dogs are naturally curious animals that like to sniff everything out, roll in dirt and grass, and this can get them in trouble. The main reason why owners are searching for the best medicated dog shampoo is that their dogs are suffering from itching caused by allergies.
Since dogs absorb allergens through their skin it is important to wash your dog regularly to prevent their accumulation. But allergies are not the only skin condition that requires the use of medicated shampoo, so if you notice any skin problems in your dog it is best to take him to the vet so he can determine the best course of treatment.
The good news for all of you who have to deal with skin problems is that there are many shampoos that can provide a much-needed relief. They are manufactured under strict regulations so you can rest assured that the amount of chemicals present are safe for your pooch.
Read More: Best Dog Shampoo & Conditioner
- Top 5 Best Medicated Dog Shampoos
- How To Find The Best Medicated Dog Shampoo?
Top 5 Best Medicated Dog Shampoos
|Name||Image||Best For||Main Feature||Type||Active Ingredients||Price|
|Veterinary Formula||Seborrhea, Mange, parasitic and fungal infections||Promotes healing and hydrates the skin||Antiparasitic and antiseborrheic||Coal tar, salicylic acid, micronized sulfur|
|Medicated||Allergies, itching||Stops itching and flaking||Antipruritic||Coal tar, Sulfur, Triclosan|
|Antiseptic And Antifungal||Fungal and bacterial infections, ringworm, acne||Heals skin infections, cuts and abrasions||Antibacterial||Chlorhexidine Gluconate, Ketoconazole|
|Nootie||Allergies||Anti-itch, soothes and heals||Antipruritic||Lidocaine HCL, Pramoxine HCL|
|Sogeval Douxo||Pyoderma, bacterial and yeast infection||Anti-itch, heals and soothes the skin||Antibacterial||Chlorhexidine, phytosphingosine salicyloyl|
How To Find The Best Medicated Dog Shampoo?
Medicated shampoos are made to provide immediate relief to the affected areas of the skin, like red lashes, hot spots or skin inflammation. In order to find the good shampoo that will work on your dog, you need to figure out what is causing your dog’s skin problems.
What Does A Medicated Dog Shampoo Do?
An efficient medicated shampoo shouldn’t require the additional use of any other substance or treatment in order to provide good results. And although there is a variety of different products designed to deal with special problems all of them should provide these results:
- Eliminate itching
- Reduce the inflammation of the skin
- Remove all strong odors
- Reduce bacterial and fungal infections
- Remove scaly and crusty skin
If your dog is only suffering from dry skin and occasional itching you should try an organic or natural shampoo that has aloe vera and oatmeal that will moisturize and sooth the skin.
Medicated shampoos are stronger and contain chemicals that are needed only if your dog is suffering from a specific skin condition.
If some of the following situations can apply on your dog, you should take into consideration the use of medicated shampoo.
- Allergies: A great number of dogs that have pollen allergies experience symptoms during spring and for that time he can benefit from the use of medicated shampoo. This type of shampoo is great for relieving itching, dry and inflamed skin caused by allergies.
- Skin irritation: If you notice that your dog scratches excessively or if he has red spots, he will require a medicated shampoo until his symptoms clear.
- Skin infections: Medicated shampoos can help clear bacterial and fungal infection among many other things. If your dog is suffering from these conditions you will need the help of a medicated shampoo to clear bacterias or fungus from his skin.
- Hot spots: This condition can be caused by a variety of factors, allergies and flea bites ( you can read more about flea shampoo for dog here) are just some of them. Medicated dog shampoo can help clear them and soothe your dog’s skin
- Reaction on your current shampoo: If you notice that your dog is having a bad reaction on your current shampoo it is best to throw it away and wash your dog with a medicated dog shampoo for sensitive skin. This doesn’t mean that you will need to use this type forever, just until your dog’s skin clears.
- Strong odor: Bad smell is one of the easiest resolved problems with medicated dog shampoo.
How To Know What Kind Of Shampoo Your Dog Needs?
In order to know for sure what kind of shampoo your dog needs it is best to take him to the vet. In some cases, irritated skin is only a symptom of a much bigger problem, and if this is the case your dog will need proper treatment.
Medicated dog shampoos are categorized into five groups and based on your dog’s skin problem he will need:
- Antiseborrheic shampoos: These products are designed to remove scaling and eliminate the microbial action that causes skin irritation. If your pooch is suffering from seborrhea and greasy skin he can benefit from this type of shampoo.
- Antifungal shampoos: Yeast dermatitis is a common skin condition in dogs, and you should use antifungal shampoo in order to heal his skin.
- Antibacterial shampoos: For dogs that have lesions, pustules or infected wounds it is best to use this type of shampoo. Pyoderma or bacterial infection is characterized by partial hair loss and blisters full of pus.
- Antipruritic shampoos: These shampoos usually contain oatmeal that helps to soothe and absorb allergens from the skin.
- Cleaning and moisturizing shampoos: These shampoos help the skin to rehydrate and recover after the use of harsh chemicals.
What are the side effects of medicated shampoos?
Although medicated dog shampoos are made according to strict regulations, they can provoke a bad reaction in some dogs. Your dog can be completely fine while using this type of shampoo but it is important to know what are the most common side effects.
- Redness and irritation around the eyes
- Skin redness and irritation
- Different parts of the body become swollen
If your dog is experiencing skin problems it is important to use a medicated shampoo that will provide immediate relief to his symptoms. There are so many products available and not all of them are as good as they claim to be, so we will review 5 medicated shampoos that will clear your dog’s skin and make it healthy again.
Clinic Care Medicated Shampoo For Dogs
- Brand Name: SynergyLabs
- Best For: Seborrhea, Mange, parasitic and fungal infections
- Main Feature: Promotes healing and hydrates the skin
- Type: Antiparasitic and antiseborrheic
- Active Ingredients: Coal tar, salicylic acid, micronized sulfur
This shampoo may be one of the affordable ones, but it still provides excellent results when it comes to treating mange and other parasitic conditions. Besides that, this is a great antifungal dog shampoo that can treat seborrhea and bacterial infections.
Active ingredients like salicylic acid, micronized sulfur, and coal tar give this shampoo wide range and capability to deal with different skin problems. These will remove the layer of dead skin, provide anti-inflammatory properties and allow clogged pores to open.
SynergyLabs also included allantois and colloidal oatmeal that will nourish and hydrate skin helping it to heal quicker. That makes this shampoo at the same time effective and gentle towards the skin and your dog’s health.
This Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo doesn’t contain parabens, soap, or artificial color. But since it does contain coal tar it isn’t suitable for cats and can be used on dogs older than 12 weeks.
You can apply this shampoo 2-3 times a week until the skin condition improves and then use it less often. For best results let it work on your dog for 10-15 minutes before rinsing, and make sure that you don’t get it into the contact with your dog’s eyes.
- For several skin conditions
- For dogs older than 12 weeks
- For mange and parasites
- Contains oatmeal
- Can be too strong for small breeds
- Has strong smell
Shampoo And Conditioner For Dogs
- Brand Name: Sulfodene
- Best For: Allergies, itching
- Main Feature: Stops itching and flaking
- Type: Antipruritic
- Active Ingredients: Coal tar, Sulfur, Triclosan
This shampoo contains chemicals as well, but they aren’t so strong as in SynergyLabs formula. Sulfodene Medicated Shampoo and conditioner will provide fast relief from itching, flaking and scaly skin.
From active ingredients here you will find chlorhexidine gluconate, sulfur, and coal tar. They are less concentrated which makes this formula less aggressive but still good when it comes to dry skin and parasites.
With its antibacterial properties, this shampoo will clear your dog’s skin and at the same time condition ti. And since it is gentle and contains aloe vera this shampoo will hydrate dry, flaky skin and can be used as a regular shampoo.
Once you apply this product it must be left to work on your dog for 10-15 minutes which may be a struggle for owners whose dogs aren’t well behaved during washing. Sulfodene shampoo can be used on puppies that have more than 6 weeks.
Since it contains coal tar this product can be used on cats, and as all other medicated dog shampoo it is advisable to wear glows during washing.
- Can be used regularly
- For itchy, dry and flaky skin
- Contains aloe vera
- Deodorizes and conditions
- Didn’t work for some dogs
- Has a strong smell
Medicated Shampoo For Dogs
- Brand Name: Pet MD
- Best For: Fungal and bacterial infections, ringworm, acne
- Main Feature: Heals skin infections, cuts and abrasions
- Type: Antibacterial
- Active Ingredients: Chlorhexidine Gluconate, Ketoconazole
You are probably familiar with Pet MD website that offers great articles on various conditions that affect both cats and dogs. They now expanded and created this medicated dog shampoo that is made in America and helps dogs with fungal and bacterial infections.
Active ingredients present are chlorhexidine gluconate and ketoconazole that resolve bacterial and fungal infections that are responsive to these ingredients. This shampoo kills bacteria, yeast, fungus and helps with ringworm, acne and hot spots.
Compared to other medicated shampoos this one has a nice floral scent that won’t overpower you or your pooch. This product can be also used to clean face and finger folds and heals superficial cuts, abrasions, and insect bites.
Once you apply this shampoo on your dog, massage it into his coat and leave it to work for 5-10 minutes before rinsing. You can use it 2-3 times for four weeks and after that once a week or follow the instructions provided by your vet.
- For fungal and bacterial infections
- Good for ringworm, acne and hot spots
- Has a floral scent
- For face and finger folds
- Didn’t work for all dogs
- Can be damaged during shipping
Medicated Anti-Itch Dog Shampoo
- Brand Name: Nootie
- Best For: Allergies
- Main Feature: Anti-itch, soothes and heals
- Type: Antipruritic
- Active Ingredients: Lidocaine HCL, Pramoxine HCL
With this product, Nootie created medicated dog shampoo for allergies that will help soothe your dog’s skin and relieve itching sensation. This is a great choice for dogs who are suffering from flea bites or have allergies.
Nootie included pramoxine and lidocaine that are external analgesic to calm your dog’s skin and prevent further damage from scratching. Colloidal Oatmeal has healing properties that will soothe your dog’s skin and provide nourishment to heal damages inflicted by scratching.
This shampoo is suitable for dogs with sensitive and dry skin that needs to be hydrated. Also, this product will maintain thick, healthy and shiny coat.
Medicated Anti-itch shampoo is made without soap, paraben, sulfates and harsh chemicals which makes it ideal for sensitive skin. This shampoo won’t affect flea and tick topical treatments so you don’t have to worry about your dog’s protection.
Unlike most medicated shampoos this one has a pleasant cucumber melon fragrance, that will not be too strong for your pooch’s nose, and will give him a nice smell. Once you apply this shampoo on your dog leave it to work for 3-5 minutes and then rinse thoroughly.
- For dry and itchy skin
- Nice smelling
- Contains oatmeal
- For allergies and flea bites
- Some people don’t like the smell
- Didn’t work for some dogs
Chlorhexidine PS Dog Shampoo
- Brand Name: Douxo
- Best For: Pyoderma, bacterial and yeast infection
- Main Feature: Anti-itch, heals and soothes the skin
- Type: Antibacterial
- Active Ingredients: Chlorhexidine, phytosphingosine salicyloyl
Duoxo Chlorhexidine PS Dog shampoo is a prescription-type remedy for various skin disorders in cats and dogs. It has an antiseptic effect to fight superficial and acute skin conditions associated with pyoderma.
Active ingredients included are chlorhexidine, lipacide, and phytosphingosine salicyloyl that posses antiseptic and antiseborrheic properties. Lipacide moisturizes the skin by coating it with lipoprotein.
This shampoo can be used for severe skin cases since these ingredients work well to prevent dryness, irritation, and inflammation. But since they are very strong you should follow the instructions provided by your vet.
This shampoo is great for constant itchiness, bacterial or fungal infections that lead to skin irritation. It provides relief where other treatments couldn’t, clears the skin and leaves coat healthy and shiny.
- For a variety of skin disorders
- Effective for pyoderma
- Moisturizes the skin
- For itchy skin
- For bacterial and yeast infections
- Didn’t work for some dogs
This is a quick acting shampoo that provides fast reprieve, and it is recommended to use it 2-3 times a week for three or four weeks. But the exact course of treatment will be determined by your vet based on your dog’s unique requirements.
If your dog isn’t experiencing severe skin problems we recommend that you try organic or natural shampoo before opting for a medicated product. But if your dog is suffering from allergies, yeast or bacterial infection the best medicated dog shampoo should provide quick relief to his symptoms.
Although you can buy most of these shampoos without prescription it is advised to take your dog to the vet, so he can rule out other health problems that present with the same symptoms. Medicated shampoos are a less expensive way to deal with skin problems and you should always follow instructions by the letter in order to obtain desired results.]]>