- What Indestructible (Chew Proof) Dog Beds?
- 7 Reasons Your Dog Might Be Chewing on Their Bed
- Teach Your Dog to Love Their Bed
- 5 Components to Look for in an Indestructible Dog Bed
- Overall Best Indestructible Dog Bed
- More Top Indestructible Dog Beds
- Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a dog who enjoys chewing up their bed, you aren’t alone. Dog parents everywhere know the frustration of purchasing a nice bed only to have it destroyed within days…or even hours. Luckily there is a solution – or several – to your dog’s behavior. Investing in an indestructible dog bed means that you are giving your pup a comfortable, premium place to sleep while taking away the ability to chew through it.
Indestructible dog beds are made from materials which are chew and tear-resistant. Often times they even come with other beneficial features such as waterproof material and a washable cover. This guide will help you determine why your dog may be chewing on their bed, and how you can potentially put a stop to the behavior. But in the meantime, we also have some great indestructible dog bed recommendations for you.
What Indestructible (Chew Proof) Dog Beds?
- PetFusion Ultimate Lounge With Solid Memory Foam Dog Bed
- K&H Pet Products K-9 Ruff n’ Tuff Indoor/Outdoor Pillow Dog Bed
- MidWest Paradise Teflon Fabric Protector Pet Bed
- K&H Pet Products Pet Cot
- Dog Gone Smart Ninja Dog Bed
- Dogbed4less Premium Durable Orthopedic Shredded Memory Foam Dog Bed
- K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Nesting Dog Bed
7 Reasons Your Dog Might Be Chewing on Their Bed
While chewing is a rather normal behavior for dogs, it can be frustrating when your pup starts destroying objects regularly. If your dog is constantly chewing up their bed, shoes, furniture or other inappropriate items, there could be a health or behavioral concern at hand. Some reasons why your dog might be chewing on their bed are:
- Anxiety or stress
- Teething (puppies)
- Learned behavior
If your dog’s incessant chewing is causing problems in your home, it may be time to seek veterinary council. You’ll want to eliminate any serious health problems, and your vet will be able to suggest ways to stop your dog from chewing.
In the meantime, below are some tips for teaching your dog to love their bed so they won’t want to chew it up!
Teach Your Dog to Love Their Bed
If you teach your dog that their bed is a relaxing, positive place, it’s less likely that they will turn to destroying it.
- Use positive reinforcement to show your dog that their bed is a happy place. When your dog is laying on their bed (and not chewing it) treat them to reward their relaxing behavior.
- You can offer a toy or chew bone when they are laying on their bed in order to redirect their chewing behavior to something else.
- Do not put your dog’s bed in their kennel, then punish them by locking them inside. Your dog may experience stress or fear, and therefore begin chewing on their bed.
Ultimately you want to teach your dog that their bed is a safe place. If your pup associates the bed with positivity, they are less likely to act out by chewing on it or even ripping it apart.
5 Components to Look for in an Indestructible Dog Bed
Dogs have different chewing and sleeping habits. You’ll want to look into these components when deciding which indestructible dog bed will be best for you pup:
- Elevated dog beds: Elevated dog beds are typically made from chew-resistant material such as a metal frame and a durable nylon covering. Sometimes purchasing a non-stuffed bed is the best answer for your persistent pooch!
- Washable cover: Most stuffed chew-proof dog beds have a removable, washable cover. This is a great feature because the bed will last longer if you can wash it free of stains and debris.
- Waterproof: Many of those beds with removable covers are also waterproof or water-resistant. This makes it easy to clean up accidents, as liquid will generally bead up so you can easily wipe it off.
- An extended warranty: Some companies who build indestructible dog beds offer an extended chew warranty. If your dog chews up the bed in a certain time frame (typically 90-120) days, the company will give you a new bed or full refund. If you’re confident that your pup will attempt to destroy their new bed, you may want to buy one with a warranty.
- Stuffing type: Some dogs prefer one solid piece of foam for sleeping on, while others may prefer to lay on something fluffier that will contour to their body. Just like humans, dogs have preferences. There are a variety of stuffing types available in indestructible dog beds.
Overall Best Indestructible Dog Bed
|Our 2020 Picks: Best Dog Beds that are Chew Proof|
|PetFusion Ultimate Lounge With Solid Memory Foam Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|K&H Pet Products K-9 Ruff N’ Tuff Indoor/Outdoor Pillow Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|MidWest Paradise Teflon Fabric Protector Pet Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|K&H Pet Products Pet Cot||CHECK PRICE|
|Dog Gone Smart Ninja Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|Dogbed4less Premium Durable Orthopedic Shredded Memory Foam Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
|K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Nesting Dog Bed||CHECK PRICE|
- Available in four sizes, up to jumbo
- Anti-tear covering
- Padded walls for neck and head support
This PetFusion dog bed takes the top spot on our list because it’s high-quality, offers premium comfort and is available for all size dogs. This stylish yet indestructible bed comes with a memory foam base which is anywhere from 2” to 6” thick, depending on the size bed you purchase. The base has a waterproof liner in case your pup is prone to accidents.
The PetFusion bed has bolstered sides to give your pup a sense of security while they sleep, as well as head and neck support for their favorite sleeping position. The cotton and polyester cover is water-resistant and anti-tear for those pups who like to use their beds as a giant chew toy. It’s also machine washable! This indestructible dog bed has quality construction which is sure to give your dog the very best sleep. Although this bed is fairly expensive, you are purchasing a premium, chew-proof dog bed that is sure to last!
- Attractive design will look great in any home
- Water-resistant, chew-proof cover
- Bed cover is machine washable
- Padded bolster walls for superior comfort
- Available for small to giant breed dogs
- This bed is costly, but you pay for an extremely high-quality, comfortable product!
- Polyester fabric is appropriate for outdoor use
- Hidden loop fasteners instead of zippers
- Can accommodate up to large dogs
- Interior liner keeps stuffing in place
Runner-Up Best Indestructible Dog Bed: If you have a dog who enjoys digging at their bed, we suggest giving this indestructible bed from K&H Pet Products a try. The durable polyester fabric is excellent for aggressive chewers and diggers. It’s also great for outdoor use if your pup likes to lounge on the patio or in your backyard. The interior liner of the bed ensures that the polyfil stuffing stays in place rather than becoming lumped up in one section of the bed.
Some dogs may be attracted to the dangling of zippers, but this dog bed uses hidden hook/loop fasteners on the bottom of the bed instead. Unfortunately the cover isn’t waterproof, but it is easily removable and machine washable in case of an accident or for weekly cleaning. The K&H Pet Products indestructible dog bed comes in two sizes and colors to suit your preferences.
- Utilizes a hidden fastener for the removable cover rather than zippers
- Durable fabric is suitable for outdoor use
- Interior bed liner keeps stuffing from clumping
- Great for dogs who chew or dig at their bed
- The biggest size is large, so it may not be large enough for giant breed dogs
- Water-resistant, chew-proof material
- Ideal for putting in a dog crate
- Machine washable
- Liquid rolls off the fabric for easy cleanup
Best Budget-Friendly Indestructible Dog Bed: The MidWest Paradise dog bed is made with durable material which is water and chew-resistant. Bolster walls around the edge of the bed provide comfort, and the size of the bed is ideal for dog crates or carriers. The base of this indestructible dog bed is cushioned, but not too bulky so it’s easy to move, store or travel with.
If your pup has an accident or somehow manages to bring liquid onto the bed, it will bead up for easy cleanup. You can also throw this bed into the washing machine to do the cleaning for you! Not only is this bed affordable, but it’s available in a multitude of sizes from 22” to 48”! Since this dog bed has a Teflon cover, it will stay cleaner longer, and you can depend on it to last.
- Water, stain and smell-resistant
- Great for pups who like to chew on their bed
- Suitable for use in kennels or carriers
- Available in a wide variety of sizes
- Doesn’t have as much padding as other beds
- Only available in three bright colors
More Top Indestructible Dog Beds
If you’re having a hard time finding a dog bed that you’re pup won’t chew through, you may consider a cot-style bed. This one from K&H Pet Products is built with durable waterproof nylon, which is great for outdoor use. While this cot would be perfect for camping or lounging in the backyard, it’s also a fantastic option for dogs who can’t seem to leave their stuffed beds intact. There is increased airflow from the elevated construction for those pups who run hot, even if they are relaxing indoors. This dog bed cot is easy to assemble and disassemble for convenient storage or traveling.
This non-toxic, chew-proof dog bed is 100% waterproof and made from scratch-resistant ballistic nylon. The zipper on the cover is hidden to help dogs resist tugging and chewing. The inside of this indestructible bed is constructed from high-density foam to ensure superior comfort for your deserving pup. The cover of this Dog Gone Smart Ninja bed will protect against dirt, stains and odor, but it’s also machine washable for convenient maintenance. This quality dog bed would be great for indoors, outdoors or in a crate.
Your dog is sure to love this thick, overstuffed chew-proof bed. It’s filled with memory foam and polyfil to offer comfort which contours to your pup’s body. There are two layers of this bed – a waterproof internal cover and a durable nylon outer cover. This bed is built from premium materials to withstand your dog tugging or chewing at it. This breathable, indestructible dog bed comes in a multitude of sizes, even accommodating giant breed dogs who will appreciate the comfort of an orthopedic bed.
This chew-resistant dog bed from K9 Ballistics was constructed for light to moderate chewers. The durable covers is made to be waterproof as well as resistant to bites and scratching. This bed is simple yet fashionable and super cozy. The cover is machine washable, and the interior is shredded memory foam for premium comfort. K9 Ballistics Tough Rectangle Nesting dog bed will be great for use around your home or in your dog’s crate. The bed is made in the USA and comes with an extraordinary 120 day chew resistant warranty!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why does my dog keep tearing up his bed? – Your dog may be destroying their bed for a variety of reasons. Boredom, stress, anxiety, teething, pain or an unknown health issue. If you’re exercising your dog enough and giving them plenty of outlets for stimulation, you may consider seeking veterinary advice. If your dog’s chewing is incessant, there may be a health concern which needs to be addressed.
- How can I stop my dog from ripping up his bed? – If your dog is constantly ripping at his bed, consider getting them more vigorous exercise. Tired dogs won’t have the energy or desire to chew. If you witness your dog chewing at their bed, redirect their attention to something more appropriate like a chew toy or bone. Make sure they have plenty of other outlets in your home so they aren’t ripping apart valuable items. Of course, an indestructible dog bed is always a great solution!
- Is there a chew proof dog bed? – There are a plethora of pet companies who make chew-proof or chew-resistant dog beds. These beds are made from high-quality, premium materials which will be hard to rip through. If you have an aggressive chewer at home, consider purchasing a cot-style bed with a metal frame. You can also buy a bed with a warranty so if your dog chews through it, you can get a new bed or a refund.
The idea of an indestructible dog bed is fantastic, right? Many of the beds on our list have extended warranties, so you can try out the bed to see if it stands the test of your pup’s teeth. Every dog is different and it may take you a few tries to determine what type of bed your dog won’t chew through. However, we’re confident that the options on our list are a great place to start!