- What is the Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate?
- 5 Benefits of Using a Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Keeping Your Dog Comfortable in Their Heavy Duty Crate
- 7 Components to Look for in a Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- Overall Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate
- More Top Heavy Duty Dog Crates
- Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re frustrated that your dog keeps escaping or chewing through their crate, we completely understand. You may have spent money replacing your dog’s kennel and you’re desperate for a solution to keep Fido safe and secure in their crate. If this scenario sounds familiar, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we will discuss the benefits of using a heavy duty dog crate, as well as how to make it cozy and comfortable for your pampered pooch. We have a list of 7 premium dog crates that are sure to withstand the might of determined dogs.
What is the Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate?
5 Benefits of Using a Heavy Duty Dog Crate
While heavy duty dog crates can be a hefty investment, it’s important to note that there are some great benefits to purchasing one for your dog. We list some of them here:
- Generally escape-proof: Heavy duty dog crates are typically deemed “escape-proof” because they are constructed from incredibly tough materials. They are most often made from steel, which obviously cannot be destroyed by your dog, no matter how powerful they are. This leads us to our next point…
- Great for heavy chewers: A dog crate made from steel cannot possibly be chewed through. We understand that some pups desperately attempt to aggressively chew through their wire or plastic kennel. A heavy duty dog crate will prevent your dog from trying to chew their way out.
- Suitable for indoor or outdoor use: Most heavy duty dog kennels are rust and corrosion-resistant. This makes them a good choice for outdoor and/or indoor use.
- Easy to clean: Heavy duty dog crates come equipped with removable floor trays that will catch debris or accidents from your dog. The trays are easy to remove so you can clean them daily if necessary. Tough dog crates can also be quickly wiped down with a variety of non-toxic cleaners.
- Convenient to move around: All of the dog crates on our list come with locking wheels. The wheels can be left on the crate so you can conveniently roll it to another room, or outside if you do so choose. The wheels can also be removed if you plan to keep your pup’s crate in one place.
Keeping Your Dog Comfortable in Their Heavy Duty Crate
The bottom of a heavy duty dog crate is typically made from plastic or metal, but it will most likely be extremely uncomfortable on your dog’s delicate paws. We suggest putting a bed or padding on the bottom of your dog’s crate to avoid injury or irritation of the paws. You can use towels or blankets to create a comfortable space inside the kennel where your dog can sleep and relax. It’s absolutely imperative that your dog is cozy in their crate to encourage to use of it.
7 Components to Look for in a Heavy Duty Dog Crate
Now it’s time to think about which heavy duty dog crate you want to buy. Consider the components below when picking out the best kennel for Fido:
- Durability: It’s probably safe to say that if you’re interested in a heavy duty dog crate, then durability is a priority. Quality heavy duty kennels will typically be made from reinforced steel. Some crates have metal slide-out trays, while others are made of plastic. You’ll want to consider that when thinking about your pup’s needs and preferences.
- Locks: Heavy duty dog crates are meant to keep dogs safe and secure. They are often built with escape artists in mind. There are a variety of different locks available on heavy duty dog crates. Some come with two locks, others come with one. Some have a slide-latch lock, others have buckle locks. What you choose is completely up to you.
- Wheels: Most heavy duty dog kennels come with the option to equip wheels. The wheels add convenience so you can roll the crate anywhere you need to. If you’re not sure if you need the wheels, you can simply assemble the crate without them.
- Slide-out tray: The bottom floor slide-out tray in heavy duty kennels is nice for cleaning purposes. Materials tend to vary, as some trays are made from steel and others are plastic. Most of the crates on our list come equipped with one large, removable tray, but we do include one that has dual plastic trays.
- Size: Heavy duty dog crates generally only come in medium to large sizes. Your dog should be able to comfortable lay down, stand up and turn around in their kennel. It’s best to pick a dog crate based on your dog’s measurements.
- Style: Most heavy duty dog crates come in a basic rectangular shape, but some do have a taller roof that looks stylish. The additional space also offers head space for large dogs who like to sit up.
- Entrances: Heavy duty dog crates come with one or two doors. The design you choose will be based on how you plan to use the kennel and the placement of it in your home or outside.
Overall Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate
|Our 2019 Picks: Best Crates that are Heavy Duty|
|ProSelect Empire Dog Cage||CHECK PRICE|
|WONLINE Heavy Duty Dog Crate||CHECK PRICE|
|Homey Pet Open Top Heavy Duty Dog Crate||CHECK PRICE|
|SMONTER Heavy Duty Dog Crate||CHECK PRICE|
|SmithBuilt Heavy Duty Dog Crate||CHECK PRICE|
|PARPET Empire Heavy Duty Pet Crate||CHECK PRICE|
|Haige Pet Your Pet Nanny Dog Crate||CHECK PRICE|
- Made with reinforced steel tubing and 20-gauge steel
- Rolling, locking wheels for easy transport or moving around your home
- Available in two sizes
- Slide out catch tray for easy cleaning
The ProSelect Empire dog crate is one of the toughest on the market. It’s constructed from half-inch thick tubing and 20-gauge steel to ensure that your pup will be safe and secure in the kennel at all times. Even the most powerful dogs won’t be able to claw, chew or push their way out of this heavy duty dog crate. Two sturdy sliding latches keep your dog safe inside the crate, even if your pup has earned the nickname “Houdini.”
This dog crate comes with a convenient sliding tray which can catch food, water or waste, then be removed for cleaning. The crate comes with four locking wheels so you can move the crate around easily, or you can remove them for a stationary kennel. The ProSelect Empire heavy duty dog crate is available in two sizes.
- Built with heavy-duty steel
- Locking wheels can be removed if you’d like the crate to be stationary
- Available in medium and large sizes
- Convenient slide-out tray is easy to clean and maintain
- This is the most expensive heavy duty dog crate on our list.
- Unique shape gives your large dog more headroom
- Two doors for easy access
- Steel tray slides out for cleaning
- Available in three sizes and colors
Runner-Up Best Heavy Duty Dog Crate – This dog crate from WONLINE is built from heavy-duty, rust-resistant steel. The unique house design boasts two doors for easy access, and the extra headroom is excellent for large dogs who prefer to sit up in their kennel. The grate floor has a sliding tray underneath to pick up excess food, water or to catch accidents. Simply slide it out to wipe it down when it’s time to clean.
The wheels on this heavy duty dog crate rotate 360° and two of the wheels have locking mechanisms. There are four total latches on this crate to keep the doors closed and securely locked. The firm welded construction of this WONLINE pet crate is reliable and trustworthy when it comes to your dog’s safety. Since the materials are rust-resistant, it would be appropriate to use this crate indoors or outdoors.
- Available in a multitude of colors and sizes
- Two access doors
- Slide out tray for easy maintenance
- Built with rust-resistant steel
- Folds down easily for storage or transport
- Pet parents report the tools that come with this crate are low-quality and may be difficult to use for assembly.
- Plastic floor grid is more comfortable on paws
- Top of the kennel opens up completely
- Non-toxic finished surface
Best Budget-Friendly Heavy Duty Crate – This heavy duty dog kennel from Homey Pet is unique because the top of the crate completely opens up, giving you easy access to the interior contents. The bottom floor grid is plastic rather than steel, making it more comfortable on your dog’s paws. A sliding tray comes out for cleaning, much like the other heavy duty crates on our list.
This crate is made with high-quality steel covered in a non-toxic finish. The materials are rust-resistant, which is helpful if you plan to use the crate outside. The Homey Pet heavy duty dog crate can be stacked on top of others. The lockable wheels can be removed if you’d like to stack the crate, or if you prefer that the crate remains in one spot at all times. For a cost-effective, heavy duty dog crate, this one is our top pick!
- Unique stacking feature
- Plastic floor grid for exceptional comfort
- Rust-resistant, non-toxic finish
- Only one safety chain lock on the crate door.
More Top Heavy Duty Dog Crates
What makes the SMONTER heavy duty dog crate stand out from the rest is the attractive structural design. The heavy steel frame is built to stand up against the toughest dogs, with escape proof locks to keep your pup secure inside the crate. The bottom of this crate has two plastic, removable trays rather than one large one. This heavy duty dog crate is easy to assemble, and it comes available in two sizes and three colors to best suit your décor.
This is another great budget-friendly heavy duty dog crate. The premium-grade construction is built to last with welded steel tubes. It has side and top access doors complete with slide-bolt latches. The crate has rolling, locking wheels for added convenience. This heavy duty crate is finished with a multi-layer coating which is rust and corrosion-resistant. Like the other kennels on our list, this one has a removable floor tray, but it is stain and rust-resistant so it won’t retain any pet odors.
The PERPET Empire heavy duty dog crate is built for ultimate performance and strength. Made with reinforced steel tubing, this crate will stand up to the most powerful pups. Two front slide-bolt latches will keep your dog safe in their kennel at all times. This crate has a steel, removable crate that is equipped with a D-ring so you can easily slide it in and out. Four removable wheels can lock in place or swivel for purposes of moving the crate. This heavy duty dog crate is more expensive than some of the others, but it has incredible reviews from other dog parents.
Last but not least on our list is this heavy duty dog crate from Haige Pet. The durable frame is made from corrosion-resistant steel. The homey design has two doors for convenient access to your pup, which are equipped with safety locks. While this heavy duty dog crate only comes in one size, it is constructed with a roof for additional headroom. We love that this crate has a one year warranty, so can be comfortable investing in this premium kennel.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can a dog chew through a metal crate? – Pet parents often think that wire crates are indestructible because they look tough. Unfortunately, the wire spindles can be easily bent by a determined dog. A real metal crate made from steel (like the heavy duty dog crates we listed) cannot be chewed through.
- What is the best crate for escape artists? – The best dog crate for an escape artist is going to be a heavy duty crate made from reinforced steel. The crate also needs to have tough locks for dogs who have attempted to unlatch a standard kennel door. It’s important that all sides of the crate are made from steel so there are no vulnerabilities for your dog to discover and take advantage of.
Heavy duty dog crates are built to accommodate dogs who like to escape and chew through their kennels. They are incredibly tough and built to last. Many heavy duty dog crates come with warranties, so that’s something to consider when making your final purchase.