- What is the Best Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin and Dandruff?
- 5 Benefits of Using a Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin
- Symptoms of Dry Skin in Dogs
- 5 Components to Look for in a Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin
- Overall Best Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin & Dandruff
- 4 More Top Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin
- Frequently Asked Questions
Dogs bring incredible joy to our lives every day, and it’s difficult to watch them struggle with dry and itchy skin. Our canine pals rely on us to keep them feeling their best, so it’s important that we give them the care they deserve. If your dog is suffering from dry skin, it’s time to give them the love they give you on a daily basis by hydrating their skin with a suitable dog shampoo.
Dog shampoo for dry skin offers a variety of healing properties to heal, moisturize and hydrate your pup’s delicate skin. In this guide we will discuss other benefits of using a shampoo for dry skin, and how you can go about choosing the best one. We also offer 7 phenomenal recommendations that will fit the needs of dogs with a variety of skin conditions.
What is the Best Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin and Dandruff?
- Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Anti-Parasitic
- Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo With Organic Aloe for Dogs – Best Priced
- 4-Legger Organic Hypoallergenic Lemongrass
- Vetoquinol Vet Solutions for Itchy Dry Skin Aloe
- Vet’s Best Hypoallergenic Shampoo for Dogs
- Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo With Colloidal
5 Benefits of Using a Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin
Dog shampoo for dry skin can do more than simply hydrate your dog’s itchy skin. Below we list some of the other fantastic benefits of using such a shampoo:
- Contain moisturizing ingredients: Dog shampoos for dry skin contain ingredients with hydrate your dog’s itchy skin. The most effective agents for soothing dry skin are oatmeal and aloe vera. When your pup’s skin is moisturized, dry, flakey skin becomes a thing of the past.
- Helps treat infection: Some dog shampoos for dry skin help heal and treat fungal and/or bacterial infections (such as ringworm) that may have caused your dog’s dry skin.
- Restores natural pH of your dog’s skin: When skin becomes dry and flakey, pH is thrown off. Dog shampoo for dry skin helps restore a proper pH balance, eliminating flakiness.
- Stimulates production of natural oils: Your dog’s coat has natural oils which help it remain healthy and soft. Shampoos for dogs with dry skin will help stimulate the production of those oils to restore shine and health to your pup’s coat.
- Heals severe skin conditions: If your dog has mange, dermatitis or another extreme skin condition, shampoos for dry skin can help! These shampoos often contain ingredients which help treat such skin issues.
Symptoms of Dry Skin in Dogs
As humans, we can easily see when we have dry skin. It takes a quick glance to realize that we need to grab for the closet bottle of moisturizer. But it may be harder to recognize in our canine companions. Some signs and symptoms that your pup may be suffering from dry skin are:
- Hair loss
- Scaly skin
- Oily coat
- Bad odor
5 Components to Look for in a Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin
Your dog’s dry skin can be caused by a variety of internal or external factors. Consider the components below to ensure you are buying the best shampoo for your dog’s dry skin:
- Healing ingredients: The best ingredients for soothing dry skin in dogs are oatmeal and aloe vera. You will want to purchase a dog shampoo that has one or both of these helpful properties.
- Ingredients to avoid: Ideally you will want to purchase a dog shampoo that doesn’t contain any soap, alcohol or parabens. These elements can further dry out the skin, causing even more itchiness and inflammation.
- Anti-parasitic ingredients: If your pup has dry skin due to ringworm, fleas or other parasites, you will want to consider purchasing a shampoo with anti-parasitic ingredients. These shampoos will kill pests and prevent further infestation while healing your dog’s dry skin.
- Hypoallergenic formula: Some dogs have dry skin because they have allergies or extremely sensitive skin. If this sounds familiar, we suggest purchasing a hypoallergenic dog shampoo. A hypoallergenic dog shampoo will moisturize your dog’s dry skin naturally and ensure that they don’t suffer from any excess irritation.
- Planet-friendly: If you are a dog parent who likes to limit their ecological footprint, there are biodegradable and eco-friendly dog shampoos for dry skin available to you. You can’t beat using a shampoo that’s safe for your dog and our planet!
Overall Best Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin & Dandruff
|Our 2021 Picks: Best Shampoo for Cats with Lice|
|Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog Shampoo
|Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Anti-Parasitic & Anti-Seborrheic Shampoo
|Frisco Oatmeal Shampoo With Organic Aloe For Dogs
|4-Legger Organic Hypoallergenic Lemongrass & Aloe Dog Shampoo
|Vetoquinol Vet Solutions For Itchy Dry Skin Aloe & Oatmeal
|Vet’s Best Hypoallergenic Shampoo For Dogs
|Burt’s Bees Oatmeal Shampoo With Colloidal Oat Flour & Honey For Dogs
- Contains oatmeal and aloe to soothe dry skin
- Delicious vanilla almond scent
- 100% biodegradable and paraben-free
- Can be used to bathe dogs or cats over 6 weeks old
Earthbath is a soap-free, natural dog shampoo that will help relieve your pup’s dry, itchy skin. The blend of oatmeal, aloe and coconut-based cleansers work together to create an effective, soothing formula for bath time. Earthbath dog shampoo will wash debris and dirt off your pup while rehydrating and moisturizing their skin.
This Earthbath shampoo for dry skin is appropriate for both dogs and cats over 6 weeks old. It doesn’t contain any parabens, DEA, soap, or synthetic dyes. Earthbath is made cruelty-free, which any pet parent can appreciate! If your dog has a topical flea and tick treatment, have no fear! This shampoo won’t wash it off. Earthbath shampoo for dogs with dry skin is affordable, smells delicious and is safe for your pets and the planet.
- Pet and planet-friendly
- Doesn’t contain any toxins or harmful chemicals
- Can be used to bathe dogs and cats
- Boasts a light vanilla almond scent
- Won’t wash away topical flea and tick preventatives
- Not in a 2-in-1 conditioning formula
- Beneficial for dogs with extreme dry skin and other skin conditions
- Heals bacterial and parasitic infections
- Can be used up to 2-3 times per week until skin is healed
- Soothes scaling, rashes and inflammation
Runner-Up Best Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin: If your dog has severely dry skin or a condition such as mange, dermatitis or seborrhea, we highly suggest using this shampoo from Veterinary Formula Clinical Care. It has healing properties to soothe even the worst skin issues. Oatmeal and allantoin work together to promote healing of your dog’s skin while hydrating it.
You can use this shampoo up to three times a week for your dog who has intensely dry skin. It’s free of dyes, soap and parabens. This dog shampoo for dry skin does contain coal tar, which is a common and effective treatment for even the worst skin issues. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care shampoo for dogs with dry skin is cost-effective, and our favorite shampoo for dogs with severely dry skin.
- Excellent for dogs with severe skin conditions
- Can be used up to 3 times per week until skin is healed
- Helps heal bacterial and parasitic infections
- Soothes, hydrates and heals your dog’s dry skin
- If your dog has a long or curly hair, you may need to purchase a separate conditioner.
- Affordable for any budget
- Made in the USA with certified organic aloe vera juice
- Blended with coconut and plant-based cleansers for a rich lather
- Chamomile extract helps nourish your dog’s skin
Best Budget-Friendly Dog Shampoo for Dry Skin: Oatmeal and aloe very work together in this Frisco dog shampoo to offer a soothing bath experience for your canine pal. It’s formulated with a variety of plant-based cleansers to rejuvenate your dog’s skin, no matter how dry or itchy it may be. Certified organic aloe vera juice will assist in naturally hydrating your dog’s skin and coat, so Fido will be feeling good as new in no time!
Frisco makes excellent pet products, and this dog shampoo for dry skin is no exception. We like that it’s made in the USA without dyes or parabens. The almond scent will leave your dog smelling delightful after bath time, as if they just had a relaxing spa day. You can pick up a 20oz bottle of Frisco oatmeal shampoo for only $9!
- Cost-effective and reliable
- Made in the USA without parabens or dyes
- Aloe vera, coconut and oatmeal will soothe your dog’s dry skin
- Suitable for dogs and cats
- Dog parents report that this shampoo smells amazing
- Fragrance may be too much for sensitive dogs
4 More Top Dog Shampoos for Dry Skin
We absolutely love 4-Legger dog shampoo. It’s certified organic and smells absolutely delicious. Most importantly, 4-Legger is formulated with holistic essential oils to soothe your dog’s dry skin. This eco-friendly shampoo will cleanse, soften and heal itchy skin. Lemongrass also acts as a natural pest repellent. 4-Legger is non-toxic, biodegradable and sustainably sourced. We highly recommend 4-Legger for any dog, and this one is a great solution for dogs with dry skin.
This soap-free shampoo is specifically formulated to help heal your dog’s dry, itchy skin. It contains ingredients such as aloe and oatmeal which restore moisture to your pet’s skin. Vetoquinol dog shampoo for dry skin will offer a thick lather for you to massage gently into your pup’s skin and coat, leaving them feeling renewed. This shampoo has a light coconut fragrance and it won’t affect your dog’s topical flea and tick treatment.
For dogs with sensitive skin, this hypoallergenic shampoo from Vet’s Best is a great option. Not only will it clean your dog’s skin and coat but it will also relieve them of dry, itchy skin through a blend of aloe and essential vitamins. This dog shampoo for dry skin is a tearless formula that will not wash off your dog’s flea and tick preventative. Whether your dog has dry skin from allergies or sensitivities, this shampoo from Vet’s Best will offer relief.
Burt’s Bees dog shampoo for dry skin is affordable and effective for nourishing your pup’s itchy skin. Formulated with honey and colloidal oat flour, this shampoo will moisturize your dog’s dry skin and leave their coat looking lustrous. Burt’s Bees will even offer relief from eczema and other skin conditions. The shampoo is pH balanced specifically for dogs, and it’s made free of sulfates and colorants.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are some causes of dry skin in dogs? – Dogs can have dry skin for a multitude of reasons. Some common causes of dry skin in dogs are living in a dry climate, allergies, poor diet, vitamin deficiency, parasites, internal infection or weakened immune system. Remember to always seek veterinary consultation for specific concerns about your dog’s health.
- What can you do for a dog with dry skin? – One of the easiest, most effective treatments for treating a dog with dry skin is giving them a bath with an appropriate moisturizing shampoo. You can also brush your dog 1-2 times weekly to stimulate blood flow and encourage production of the skin’s natural oils. Adding coconut oil to your dog’s food and moisturizing their nose and paws may also help. Ask your veterinarian for specific information about your dog’s current state of wellbeing.
- What is the best shampoo for dogs with itchy skin? – Our personal favorite shampoo for dogs with itchy skin is the Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe dog shampoo. All of the recommendations on our list will be healthy and effective in promoting healing and hydration of your dog’s dry skin.
Having dry and itchy skin can be extremely irritating and uncomfortable. We all want our dogs feeling and looking their best, so it’s important that we care for them in the most effective way possible. Using a dog shampoo for dry skin will soothe and nourish your pup’s skin and coat so they can get back to being cuddly and playful in no time! We’re confident that the shampoos on our list will offer the skin rejuvenation that your dog so desperately needs and deserves.