- What is the Best Dog Ear Cleaner?
- 5 Benefits of Using a Dog Ear Cleaner
- Common Dog Ear Problems
- 5 Components to Look for in a Dog Ear Cleaner
- Overall Best Dog Ear Cleaner
- More Top Dog Ear Cleaners
- Frequently Asked Questions
Keeping your dog’s ears clean and healthy is an important part of regular grooming and healthcare. Even if your dog doesn’t have an ear infection, it’s imperative that you help them maintain healthy ears in order to avoid such an occurrence. Thankfully, dog ears are easy to clean and treat in case of infection.
We suggest cleaning your dog’s ears weekly or even monthly to keep your pup at their healthiest. In this guide we discuss common canine ear problems and how you can go about treating them. We also share our top 8 dog ear cleaner recommendations.
What is the Best Dog Ear Cleaner?
- Zymox Otic Pet Ear Treatment With Hydrocortisone
- Vet Organics EcoEars Dog Ear Cleaner
- Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Ear Therapy
- Zesty Paws Aloe Vera & Chamomile + Coconut Oil Lavender
- Pets Are Kids Too Premium Pet Ear Cleaner Solution
- TrizULTRA + Keto Flush for Dogs
- Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner for Dogs
5 Benefits of Using a Dog Ear Cleaner
Cleaning your dog’s ears should be a monthly process, at the very least. It’s important to clean your pup’s ears so they can hear each and every squirrel out the window. Here we list some of the benefits of using a dog ear cleaner.
- Prevent ear infections: Keeping your dog’s ears clean will help prevent them from getting ear infections. Dog ears are vulnerable to infection via microorganisms, but cleaning your dog’s ears will prevent nasty bacteria, fungus and parasites from causing problems.
- Treat ear infections: Many dog ear cleaners also treat ear infections. Most of the recommendations on our list will not only clean ears to prevent infections, but cure them as well.
- Prevent hearing impairment: A dog’s ability to hear can be impaired if debris and wax become extremely built up. When you regularly clean your dog’s ears, it’s much less likely that build-up will become an issue.
- Promote overall health: Infected or clogged ears can be incredibly irritating and painful. When a dog’s ears are clean and free of infection, they will feel better overall. Ear infections can lead to other medical concerns, so keeping them maintained is absolutely vital for a healthy lifestyle.
- Soothe itching and irritation: If your dog is shaking their head a lot or scratching at their ears, they could potentially be suffering from infection or inflammation. Dog ear cleaners offer relief for such symptoms, which is especially helpful during allergy season.
Common Dog Ear Problems
Many common ear problems can be managed with the help of a quality dog ear cleaner. We list some of them below.
- Allergies: Allergies are super common for dogs, especially given that they love a good romp in the grass during warm months of the year. Simply cleaning your dog’s ears on a regular basis can keep allergies at bay. A dog ear cleaner will remove airborne allergens from your canine pal’s ears, reducing the risk of infection or other symptoms.
- Pest infestation: Mites, fleas and ticks are easily contracted by dogs from other pets or outside sources. These parasites tend to make a cozy home in your dog’s ears because they are moist, dark and warm. Dog ear cleaner will kill these pests and soothe the ears if they’ve been bitten.
- Bacterial infections: Staphylococcal infections are common and easy to treat. Luckily many dog ear cleaners contain antibacterial ingredients which will fight the infection. Antibiotics with the use of an otic solution can also clear up your dog’s infection and offer relief quickly.
- Fungal infection: Fungal infections among dogs are more difficult to treat. The treatment period is longer but it is possible to manage symptoms. If your dog is battling a fungal infection, we suggest purchasing a dog ear cleaner with antifungal ingredients.
5 Components to Look for in a Dog Ear Cleaner
Whether your dog just needs a routine ear cleaner or there’s a more serious infection to fight, you want to purchase the best dog ear cleaner for your situation. Consider the following features to make the best selection.
- Product type: There are two main types of dog ear cleaners – wipes and solution. Solution will reach deep into your dog’s ears, making it the better option for pup’s with infection or other serious condition. Ear cleaning wipes are great for regular maintenance or in between baths.
- Antibacterial and antifungal properties: Depending on the type of ear infection your dog has, you’ll want to get the most appropriate cleaner. Some treatment cleansing solutions are also suitable for regular use.
- Natural ingredients: There are some dog ear cleaners that contain natural ingredients to clean the ears. Whether you purchase an all-natural cleaning solution is completely up to you.
- Other helpful ingredients: If your dog’s ears are severely itchy or inflamed, you may want to consider a dog ear cleaner with hydrocortisone or oatmeal and aloe vera. All of these ingredients offer soothing properties to fight redness, dryness and itching.
- Frequency of use: Some dog ear cleaners require daily use to treat ear infection, while others may require twice daily. Read the warning label on the bottle to determine how many times you will need to administer the cleaning solution to effectively treat your dog’s ear infection.
Overall Best Dog Ear Cleaner
|Our 2021 Picks: Best Cleaner for Dog Ears|
|Zymox Otic Pet Ear Treatment With Hydrocortisone
|Vet Organics EcoEars Dog Ear Cleaner
|Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Ear Therapy
|Zesty Paws Aloe Vera & Chamomile + Coconut Oil Lavender Scent
|Pets Are Kids Too Premium Pet Ear Cleaner Solution
|Burt’s Bees Dog Ear Cleaner Solution
|TrizULTRA + Keto Flush For Dogs
|Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner For Dogs
- Works as a treatment and cleaner
- Contains antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral enzymes
- Relieves itch and inflammation
- Requires only one daily application for treatment
Zymox dog ear cleaner is a highly regarded product among pet parents and veterinarians. Not only will it treat your dog’s ear infection, but it also works well as regular ear cleaner. The hydrocortisone formula will effectively relieve itching and inflammation of the ears associated with infection. It contains antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral enzymes to destroy microorganisms.
Zymox only requires one daily application in order to treat a dog’s ear infection. It can be used as a routine ear cleaner as well. It’s a fairly mild formula that is recommended by veterinarians everywhere. This dog ear cleaner comes in three different bottle sizes. While this reliable ear infection treatment and cleanser isn’t exactly cheap, you are paying for a veterinarian-grade product that is extremely effective.
- Appropriate to treat ear infections and clean your dog’s ears daily
- Hydrocortisone relieves itch and inflammation
- Contains three enzymes to kill antibiotic-resistant microorganisms
- Veterinarian recommended
- Pet parents report that this is a gentle formula
- Zymox dog ear cleaner is the most expensive recommendation on our list
- 100% natural ingredients
- Treats chronic odor, discharge and itching
- Made in the USA in an FDA-registered facility
- Provides relief in 1-2 days
Runner-Up Best Dog Ear Cleaner – If you have a pup with sensitive ears, you may want to consider a natural cleaner like this one from Vet Organics. It’s formulated with 100% natural ingredients to effectively clean your dog’s ears. This natural alternative will alleviate itching and clear up discharge and odor coming from your pup’s ears. The ingredients drive out pests, bacteria and fungus which may cause an ear infection.
This dog ear cleaner doesn’t contain any antibiotics, chemicals or steroids, making it a great option for dogs who may have sensitivities. After using Vet Organics dog ear cleaner, you should start seeing results in 24-48 hours. Treatment requires pet parents to administer this formula twice daily to fight infection and symptoms.
- Made from natural ingredients
- Suitable for dogs with sensitive ears
- Made in the USA
- Clears up odor, discharge and itching
- Fellow dog parents state that Vet Organics EcoEars helps with allergies and ear infections
- For ear infections, this cleaner must be administered twice daily, as opposed to other options which may only require once daily use.
- Suitable for dogs and cats
- Treats ear infections
Best Budget-Friendly Dog Ear Cleaner – Veterinary Formula dog ear cleaner contains ingredients such as tea tree oil which cleans, deodorizes and disinfects your pup’s ears. The effective formula is alcohol-free for dogs with sensitive ears. This dog ear cleaner treats common ear infections as well as other fungus so your dog will be back to feeling amazing in no time!
This dog ear cleaner will cure fungal, bacterial and yeast infections but it also acts as cleanser for regular use. The formula is delicate enough for cats, dogs and other small animals over 12 weeks of age. Veterinary Formula ear therapy is made in the USA and it’s easy to administer. We love that you can purchase this effective, safe, veterinary-grade product at a budget-friendly price.
- Veterinary-grade product
- Gentle enough for daily use
- Suitable for dogs, cats and other small animals over 12 weeks old
- Alcohol-free for delicate ears
- Only available in one size bottle
More Top Dog Ear Cleaners
For dogs, and dog parents, who may prefer to try ear cleaning wipes, we suggest considering these from Zesty Paws. These gentle wipes will clean your dog’s ears to keep them free of debris and odor. The ingredients are gentle yet effective so the wipes will easily remove wax, discharge and dirt while leaving behind a natural scent. The oatmeal in these Zesty Paws dog ear cleaning wipes will help reduce itchiness and inflammation. The container comes with 100 wipes that are gentle enough for daily use.
This premium dog ear cleaner is formulated with aloe vera and eucalyptus to promote overall ear health. This dog ear cleaner doesn’t contain any synthetic chemicals, and instead features natural ingredients for sensitive ears. The solution reduces itching and irritation which may have been caused by parasite bites or infection. Pets Are Kids Too dog ear cleaning solution is suitable for our canine and felines friends. It’s appropriate to use daily, and it is made in the USA.
Burt’s Bees dog ear cleaner is an affordable solution made with 99% natural ingredients. It is pH balanced specifically for dogs, and the formula is free of sulfates and colorants. Ingredients such as witch hazel work to cleanse your pup’s ears of excess moisture and debris, while peppermint soothes irritation. Burt’s Bees dog ear cleaner is made cruelty-free in the USA, and it’s available at an extremely cost-effective price.
TrizULTRA dog ear cleaner is formulated with antimicrobial and antifungal properties to flush your dog’s ears free of yeast and bacteria. The soothing cleanser will treat your dog’s ear infection and provide a fragrance-free flushing. We like that this dog ear cleaner is appropriate for long term use, so it’s a great option if your pup suffers from chronic ear infections. This solution is appropriate for dogs, cats and horses, making it a great product to have on hand in multi-pet households.
Virbac dog ear cleaner is formulated with non-irritating ingredients to offer your pup’s ears an effective cleansing. Anti-odor technology ensures that odor will be eliminated so your dog will be cuddle-worthy again. Virbac ear cleaner will clean your dog’s ears routinely will also treating ear infections by way of glycotechnology. This low pH formula is suitable for use on dogs and cats. It’s tough enough to fight infections but gentle enough for everyday use.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use human ear cleaner on my dog? – It’s not recommended to use hydrogen peroxide or other human ear cleaners on your dog. Dog ear cleaners are pH balanced for their needs, and won’t contain ingredients that can potentially harm them. Using human products on your dog can irritate their skin and cause further health issues.
- How can I treat my dog’s ear infection at home? – Mild ear infection are highly treatable at home. Using an appropriate dog ear cleaner can easily treat your dog’s infection, as long as the selection you make contains the proper elements to do so. Always follow the instructions on the bottle of cleaner, and consult your veterinarian with questions or concerns.
- How long does it take a dog’s ear infection to clear up? – With proper treatment and a quality ear cleaner, your dog’s ear infection should clear up in about 7-10 days. It’s recommended to thoroughly recheck your dog’s ears after about 5 days or so, then continue to treat or seek veterinary council if you have further concerns.
Not all dogs are fond of having their ears cleaned, but dealing with infection or clogged ears is much worse! Help your dog maintain clean and healthy ears with one of the fantastic ear cleaners that we suggest. Your dog will appreciate it in the long run!