Humans are often “allergic to cats” because of the dander that cats shed on a consistent basis. Dander is the dead skin cells that felines shed in order to make room for the replenishment of healthy, new cells. Humans are allergic to the mixture of dead skin cells with urine and saliva from a cat’s regular grooming routine.
While dander cannot be avoided due to the fact that it’s a natural process, it can be controlled in the case that it becomes excessive and out of hand. In this article we help navigate the task of finding the best cat dander shampoo for your kitty, and offer our 7 best cat dander shampoo recommendations.
What is the Best Dandruff Cat Shampoo?
5 Benefits of Using a Cat Dander Shampoo
There are a number of excellent reasons to use a cat dander shampoo outside of simply removing dander! Here are some of the other notable benefits:
- Controls shedding: Shedding is a common, yet easily treatable cause of dander. Cat dander shampoos will reduce and eliminate shedding by removing excess fur and moisturizing dry skin. Less shedding means less dander and less allergens in your home!
- Helps family members will allergies: Cat dander is what flares up allergies in some humans. Dander is an allergen, so if there’s no cat dander in your home, humans will breathe easier and can avoid allergic reactions.
- Replenish skin: Cats who are emitting excessive dander probably have dry, itchy or irritated skin. Cat dander shampoo are specifically created to moisturize, heal and nourish skin in order to reduce dander and promote health.
- Your cat will feel better: Dealing with shedding, dander and other skin issues can’t possibly be comfortable. Using a shampoo to get your cat’s dander under control will definitely help them feel much better!
- You can snuggle with your cat again: If your cat is smelling fresh and they are clean of dander, you and your feline friend will be ready for relaxing snuggle sessions without having to worry about allergies.
We understand that you may need more than a cat dander shampoo to control your kitty’s dander. Next we talk about how to control and combat excessive dander.
How to Combat Excessive Cat Dander
Dander and dandruff are unique issues, but both can be a cause of dry skin. So, what exactly is dander? Dander is the dead skin cells that are constantly being replaced with new ones. Dander is not avoidable, as your cat’s skin cells are always being replenished, but you can definitely control and maintain it.
If your cat’s skin is dry, they are much more likely to shed and emit dander. By keeping your cat’s skin hydrated, they won’t consistently lose dead skin cells and hair. To keep your cat’s skin nourished and moisturized, make sure they are drinking plenty of water. Weekly brushing will also help remove excess hair and skin cells so new, healthy ones can take over. You may also consider switching your cat to a higher-quality diet.
5 Components to Look for in a Cat Dander Shampoo
Now that you’re ready to purchase a cat dander shampoo, check out the components below to help decide which shampoo will be best for your cat.
- Beneficial ingredients: A good dander shampoo will contain ingredients such as oatmeal, aloe or essential vitamins. These ingredients help moisturize and nourish your cat’s skin and coat.
- Harmful ingredients: You want to be sure that the dander shampoo you’re considering is free of phosphate, parabens, sulfate and other harmful chemicals.
- Soap-free: A high-quality and effective cat dander shampoo will not contain soap. Soap can further dry out your kitty’s skin, so it’s important that you purchase a shampoo that is soap-free.
- Versatile for different species: Some cat dander shampoos can also be used for dogs. If this factor is important to you, look for a shampoo clearly labeled “for dogs and cats.”
- Water required: You can purchase a waterless cat dander shampoo if your cat has an irrational fear of water or baths. We do have some great waterless cat dander remover options on our list of recommendations.
Overall Best Cat Dander Shampoo
|Our 2021 Picks: Best Cat Shampoo for Cat Dander|
|Earthbath Shed Control Green Tea & Awapuhi Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Vetoquinol Seba-Hex Shampoo For Cats||CHECK PRICE|
|TropiClean Waterless Dander Reducing Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
|Relief Shampoo With Pramoxine & Colloidal Oatmeal For Cats||CHECK PRICE|
|Pet Head Cat De Shed Me Rinse||CHECK PRICE|
|Allerpet Cat Dander Remover||CHECK PRICE|
|Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Cat Shampoo||CHECK PRICE|
- Made with antioxidants and natural moisturizers
- 100% biodegradable and free of parabens and phosphate
- Works for cats and dogs over 6 weeks of age
Earthbath Shed Control cat shampoo will help stop shedding and therefore decrease or eliminate dander. It’s made with a blend of shea butter, green tea leaf extract, ginseng, omega-6 fatty acids and awapuhi which work together to moisturize, revitalize and nourish your cat’s skin and coat. All of the ingredients combined assist in controlling excessive shedding and associated dander and allergens.
Earthbath is pH balanced and soap-free to avoid further drying out of your cat’s skin and fur. The natural ingredients helps to replenish the nutrients in your cat’s skin to reduce flakes and dryness. Pet parents can use dander shampoo for dogs and cats over 6 weeks of age. It’s 100% biodegradable and doesn’t contain any parabens or phosphate so you know your feline friend will be getting a safe, healthy bath!
- Trustworthy, safe formula
- Uses natural ingredients to rejuvenate your cat’s skin and reduce dander
- Great for cats and dogs
- Can be used on pets over 6 weeks old
- Cleanses your cat while offering healing properties for dry skin and fur
- If you have a long hair cat, you may need to purchase a separate conditioner.
- Helps restore the skin barrier
- Minimizing bacteria which may be causing dander
- Manages related skin infections
- Adds moisture to the hair shafts
Runner-Up Best Cat Dander Shampoo: Seba-hex shampoo from Vetoquinol is a heavy-duty cat shampoo that helps reduce dander in cats who may have a more serious skin condition. If your kitty’s dander is a cause of pyoderma, folliculitis or seborrhea, this shampoo will disinfect any wounds on their skin and manage the infection. Dander can be caused by a variety of skin conditions, but this shampoo will help!
Seba-hex shampoo is formulated with ingredients designed to deeply moisturize hair shafts and epidermal layers. The shampoo cleans out and rejuvenates the skin and fur to get your kitty back to being healthy and dander free!
- Manages and heals tough skin conditions
- Disinfects wounds associated with a skin infection
- Decreases dander and other side effects of certain conditions
- Should only be used for cats with severe dander and skin issues
- Pricey, but it’s veterinarian formulated
- Great for use between baths
- Reduces odor
- Moisturizes skin
Best Budget-Friendly Cat Dander Shampoo: If your cat hates water, as so many cats do, we recommend this waterless shampoo from TropiClean. It will reduce dander between baths, so humans in your home can breathe easier, and your cat won’t be at risk for dermatitis. This waterless cat shampoo is made with oatmeal and cucumber extracts to moisturize your cat’s skin. It’s safe for your cat to ingest during their self-grooming routine.
It only takes about one minute to clean your cat with TropiClean waterless cat shampoo. It will leave your cat smelling fresh with a light coconut scent, and you’ll notice a significant decrease in dander. Of course the better you keep up with regular grooming, the faster you’ll notice less cat dander. There is no rinsing necessary with this fantastic waterless cat shampoo, and it’s budget-friendly!
- Easy and convenient to use
- No water required
- Reduces dander while moisturizing skin
- Won’t be as effective as regular cat shampoos for more serious skin conditions.
4 More Top Dander Cat Shampoo Picks
This Relief shampoo is formulated with a blend of ingredients to soothe itching and moisturize your cat’s skin and coat. Omega-6 fatty acids and colloidal oatmeal reduce dander and revitalize your cat’s epidermal layer. If your cat has skin irritation, this dander cat shampoo will heal the skin and promote nourishment. Relief cat shampoo is soap-free and great for kitties with sensitive skin. Does your cat have inflamed skin, flea bites or minor irritation which is causing dander? This cat shampoo is worth looking into!
Shedding is a common cause of pet dander, and this de-shedding rinse can help! It’s formulated to drastically reduce shedding and dander that comes along with it. The eco-friendly rinse is pH balanced with free of parabens, sulfate and DEA. The blend of coconut oil, aloe and vitamin B5 and F will remove excess fur and leave your cat’s coat looking fresh and fluffy. You can use this rinse up to twice a week for kitties who seem to be endlessly shedding. It will definitely help shut down unwanted dander!
Allerpet dander treatment works around the clock to remove dander from your cat. It removes dander from your kitty before it becomes airborne, reducing and eliminating allergens from your home. This dander remover cleans and conditions your cat’s skin and coat while reducing dander by 50% if used regularly. Allerpet dander remover is non-toxic, safe for all breeds and is easily applied with a towel. We recommend using this dander remover in addition to a high-quality dander shampoo.
This is another medicated shampoo that helps cats who have dander as a result of a more serious skin condition. It’s designed to offer a revitalizing cleansing of your cat’s skin and fur to promote healing and moisturize deep within the hair follicles. Bathing your cat with this shampoo will flush out dead skin and hair, and degrease your cat’s coat. A greasy coat can cause dander, and this shampoo is an excellent solution for that. David medicated cat shampoo is made in the USA and is appropriate for kitties who are suffering from serious skin ailments.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What causes dander on cats? – Dander is the normal, regular shedding of dead skin cells by your cat. It’s a natural process that occurs. When humans are allergic to dander, it’s often the combination of skin cells and the cat’s urine and saliva which mix together from a kitty’s self-grooming routine.
- How do you control cat dander? – While you can’t completely get rid of cat dander, you can stop it from becoming excessive. Brush your cat regularly and bathe your cat using a high-quality cat shampoo. You can even use a cat dander remover rinse or spray in between baths.
- How do I reduce my cat’s allergens at home? – Regularly vacuuming, mopping and dusting will drastically help reduce allergens in your home. Avoiding the use of carpet and rugs that can trap cat dander may also be helpful. An air purifier can assist in reducing the amount of airborne allergens in your home.
- How do you moisturize a cat’s skin? – Cat dander shampoos contain ingredients (like oatmeal and aloe vera) that help moisturize and hydrate your cat’s skin. You can also purchase a cat shampoo that is specifically made to rejuvenate dry, itching skin. There are specialized cat lotions that you can use in addition to cat shampoos that will help moisturize their skin between baths. Remember to only use pet products on your cat, as using human shampoos and lotions can be toxic and further dry out your kitty’s skin.
- Do cat dander wipes work? – Cat dander wipes are an okay solution to maintain control over dander between baths, but they won’t be as effective as a dander shampoo or rinse.
Cat dander can be annoying for them and irritating for a human’s allergies. Luckily there are several ways to control dander, and one of the most effective ways is with a cat dander shampoo. If you notice that your feline friend is still battling excessive dander despite taking many courses of action to combat it, we suggest seeking veterinary attention. A greasy coat that is constantly producing dander may be the product of a more serious health condition.