7 Best Cat Dandruff Shampoos With Our 2023 Budget-Friendly Pick
Cat dandruff can be bothersome but it’s fairly common and highly treatable. If you’ve had dandruff before, you know it can be annoying and tough to manage if not treated properly. Your cat relies on you to help them stay at their healthiest, so they probably need help treating their dandruff.
35% Off at Chewy.com
+ Free ShippingSave Now
No matter what the cause of your cat’s dandruff is (we talk about these causes later), dandruff shampoo can revitalize, moisturize and hydrate your kitty’s skin. Your cat will appreciate getting relief from their itchy, irritated skin, and we have a great list of dandruff shampoos to help with the process. In this article we’ll discuss why it’s a good idea to use a dandruff shampoo and what to look for in a high quality one. We also share out top 7 best cat dandruff shampoos.
Let’s begin by discussing the benefits of using a cat dandruff shampoo.
What is the Best Dandruff Cat Shampoo?
- Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Fragrance-Free Cat Shampoo
- Only Natural Pet Pure & Clean Itch Relief Pet Shampoo
- NaturVet Septiderm-V Skin Care Bath for Cats
- Vetericyn FoamCare Medicated Shampoo for Pets
- SheaPet Organic Shea Butter Shampoo With Avocado
- DermAlly Oatmeal Shampoo for Cats
- HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo With Essential Fatty Acids for Cats
5 Benefits of Using a Cat Dandruff Shampoo
Cat dandruff shampoo can do more than simply rid your cat’s skin and fur of dandruff. Here are some other benefits that your cat will appreciate when you use a dandruff shampoo:
- Hydrates the skin: Dandruff flakes come as a result of dry skin. Cat dandruff shampoo is formulated specifically to hydrate and nourish dry skin in order to reduce and eliminate dandruff.
- Benefit flea and tick treatments: Some dandruff shampoos will blend with your cat’s topical flea and tick treatment to create an even more powerful formula to repel pests.
- Healing properties: Cat dandruff shampoos contain ingredients that soothe and heal the skin. Many of these shampoos aid in the healing of hot spots, scratches and other conditions caused by dermatitis or psoriasis.
- Clean your cat: Obviously dandruff shampoos will also clean your kitty, leaving them feeling and smelling feisty and fresh!
- Reduces itching: Since cat dandruff shampoo moisturizes and hydrates the skin, it will help reduce itching caused by dandruff and other skin conditions. The less your cat scratches at their skin and fur, the more quickly they will heal.
Causes of Dandruff in Cats
Dandruff in cats can be caused by several different factors. Dandruff flakes exists as a result of dry, itchy skin, which can be cause by the following:
- Hydration: If your cat isn’t drinking enough water, they may become dehydration. Just like in humans, dehydration leads to dry, flaky skin. Make sure your cat has access to plenty of fresh water at all times. A pet drinking fountain may encourage your cat to drink more frequently.
- Diet: If your cat is on a low-quality or poor diet, they may be lacking essential nutrients that help keep their skin and coat healthy. Consider investing in a higher-quality food.
- Parasites: Parasites such as fleas can cause your cat to have an allergic reaction, which will then lead to itching and scratching. The presence of external parasites can cause severe itching, dandruff and other health problems. It’s important that you treat your kitty immediately if there is evidence of parasites on them.
- Diabetes: Dry skin and dandruff can be a side effect of feline diabetes.
- Allergies: Cats can suffer from allergies just as humans can. Environmental or food allergies can both lead to skin irritation, dryness and dandruff.
5 Components to Look for in a Cat Dandruff Shampoo
Now you know that there are some excellent cat dandruff shampoos, but you aren’t sure which one to choose. Considering this list of components when deciding on the best dandruff shampoo for your kitty:
- Ingredients: Of course you will want to make sure that the dandruff shampoo you are considering is free of harmful chemicals. You will also want to look for ingredients such as aloe vera and oatmeal. These two ingredients are especially soothing and moisturizing for dry skin.
- Soap-free: You will want to buy a dandruff shampoo that is soap-free. Soap can dry out your cat’s skin even further.
- Flea and tick affect: If you use a topical flea and tick treatment or preventative on your cat, make sure you get a cat shampoo that won’t wash it away. Many cat shampoos work in conjunction with flea and tick treatments.
- Waterless: There are waterless cat shampoos which can be effective for helping with dandruff. However, if your cat’s skin needs a deep cleansing, a regular shampoo may be best.
- Hypoallergenic: For cats with allergies and sensitivities, there are plenty of hypoallergenic cat shampoos that help with dandruff.
Overall Best Cat Dandruff Shampoo
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Dandruff Cat Shampoo|
|Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Fragrance-Free Cat Shampoo
|Only Natural Pet Pure & Clean Itch Relief Pet Shampoo
|NaturVet Septiderm-V Skin Care Bath For Cats
|Vetericyn FoamCare Medicated Shampoo For Pets
|SheaPet Organic Shea Butter Shampoo With Avocado
|DermAlly Oatmeal Shampoo For Cats
|HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo With Essential Fatty Acids For Cats
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Fragrance-Free Cat Shampoo
- Contains oatmeal and organic aloe vera
- Re-moisturizes skin
- 100% biodegradable
Oatmeal and aloe vera are among the best ingredients to help cats with dandruff. Dandruff is typically caused by dry skin, but Earthbath has a solution for your kitty. This cat shampoo is soap-free and contains oatmeal and aloe vera to treat your cat’s dry, itchy skin. It will offer relief for your cat while deodorizing them.
This cat shampoo is 100% biodegradable and free of parabens and phosphate. The fragrance-free formula will even be safe for cats with allergies or sensitivities. If your cat needs moisturizing to eliminate dandruff, Earthbath oatmeal and aloe cat shampoo is our top pick. You can use it for cats over 6 weeks old.
- Free of harmful ingredients
- Contains oatmeal and aloe to moisturize and soothe your cat’s skin
- 100% biodegradable
- Can be used for cats and dogs
- Not recommended for cats under 6 weeks old
- This is not a 2-in-1 formula, so you’ll need a separate conditioner for long hair cats.
Only Natural Pet Pure & Clean Itch Relief Pet Shampoo
- Veterinarian formulated
- Made with plant-based cleansers
- No synthetic perfumes or dyes
Runner-Up Best Cat Dandruff Shampoo: This cat shampoo from Only Natural Pet is veterinary formulated and pH balanced for pets, but it’s made with quality human grade ingredients. Plant-based cleansers not only rid your cat’s coat of dirt and debris, but oatmeal and calming aloe work together to soothe dry, itchy skin. When your cat’s skin becomes properly moisturize, dandruff will be eliminated.
There is no synthetic fragrance in this cat shampoo, but eucalyptus and rosemary essential oils give it a natural, pleasant scent. Not only will your cat be fresh and clean after bath time with Only Natural Pet, but their skin will be revitalized. We recommended Only Natural cat shampoo for dandruff because it’s made in the USA, it’s biodegradable, and it’s veterinary formulated with natural ingredients for a safe bath time experience.
- Holistic veterinarian formulated
- Made in the USA
- Free of parabens, dyes and other harmful chemicals
- Great for cats and dogs
- Calms skin and moisturizes it to reduce and eliminate dandruff
- More pricey than other brands
NaturVet Septiderm-V Skin Care Bath for Cats
- Battles the toughest skin issues like dandruff, hot spots and skin allergies
- Veterinarian formulated
- Rinses off easily
- Ideal for regular bathing
Best Budget-Friendly Cat Dandruff Shampoo: If your cat is itching due to dandruff, dermatitis or other skin issues, NaturVet has you covered. This budget-friendly cat shampoo for dandruff helps even the toughest of skin problems. The veterinarian formula will soothe your cat’s skin and relieve them off itching and irritation.
This cat shampoo is great for regular bathing, and it will provide relief without stripping your cat’s skin of natural oils. NaturVet cat shampoo rinses easily so you don’t have to worry about dry shampoo causing more dandruff and flakes. We like that this cat shampoo is made in the USA and it will moisturize even the most irritated, dried out skin.
A wonderful side note about NaturVet: a percentage of all sales go to the NaturVet Foundation which helps support animal rescue groups and their tireless efforts.
- Formulated by a veterinarian
- Can soothe even the most irritated, dry skin
- Easily rinses to avoid further flaking
- Does not contain a built-in conditioner
Below are some other cat dandruff shampoos that deserve a look.
4 More Cat Dandruff Shampoo Top Picks
Vetericyn FoamCare Medicated Shampoo for Pets
If you prefer (or need) to use a waterless cat shampoo, we recommend this one from Vetericyn to help with dandruff. The foaming shampoo is medicated to soothe your cat’s skin if they have dandruff, hot spots, psoriasis or dermatitis. It will heal your cat’s skin without having to bathe your cat in a tub of water. Simply spray on the pH balanced foam and apply it evenly! Your cat (or dog) will have a healthier, shinier coat after using Vetericyn medicated pet shampoo. You can use this product on any animal of any age!
SheaPet Organic Shea Butter Shampoo With Avocado
SheaPet shampoo for cats is extra gentle for sensitive kitties, and it will soothe and moisturize their skin through a blend of shea butter and avocado oil. Even if your cat has allergies, this shampoo is safe to use. SheaPet will deeply cleanse and penetrate your cat’s skin to relieve itchy spots and eliminate dandruff. This cat shampoo is hypoallergenic and excellent for allergy-prone cats.
DermAlly Oatmeal Shampoo for Cats
This DermAlly oatmeal shampoo is not only appropriate for your cat, but it’s formulated to be good for your dog and horse also! For cats with dandruff, this soap-free shampoo won’t strip their skin of natural oils. Instead, an oatmeal blend soothes and relieves dry, itchy skin that is causing flakes and irritation. This cat shampoo contains essential fatty acids which will moisturize your cat’s skin, restoring dry skin to reduce and eliminate dandruff. We like that you can use this cat shampoo for other animals as well.
HyLyt Hypoallergenic Shampoo With Essential Fatty Acids for Cats
HyLyt hypoallergenic cat shampoo is gentle for sensitive cats. It is soap-free and contains emollients which moisturize your kitty’s dry skin. Fatty acids in this cat shampoo will help nourish the skin and control flaking. If your cat’s dandruff is being cause by dry, irritated skin, HyLyt will assist in the healing process. If you use a topical flea and tick treatment on your cat, don’t worry! This cat shampoo is safe to use and won’t affect the treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why does my cat have dandruff on his back? – There are several reasons why your cat could have dandruff. These reasons include poor diet, a bigger health issue, dry skin, allergies, parasites or lack of hydration. Seek veterinary attention if you are having trouble eliminating the dandruff, or you think there may be a more pertinent issue.
- Can you wash cats with Head & Shoulders shampoo? – No. Do not bathe your cat with a human shampoo. Cats have extremely thin, delicate skin, and human shampoos can further dry out or even damage a cat’s skin. Cats can also have reactions to the ingredients in a human shampoo. Cat shampoos are specifically pH balanced and formulated for our feline friends.
- Can cats get dandruff from stress? – Some cats can get dandruff from stress. If circumstances have changed for them, stress and anxiety can lead to dry and itchy skin, which in turn causes dandruff.
- How do you moisturize a cat’s skin? – Regular grooming and bathing with an appropriate cat shampoo can help moisturize your cat’s skin. You can also use cat-specific lotions in conjunction with cat shampoo. Make sure you only use pet products on your cat, as human shampoo and lotion can be toxic and dry out your cat’s skin even more.
A variety of issues can cause your cat to get dandruff. Whether you’ve determined what is causing your cat’s dandruff or not, it’s a good idea to start by rehydrating and moisturizing their skin. You can do this by regularly brushing your cat and bathing them with a cat dandruff shampoo. Remember to only use a shampoo formulated for cats when giving them a bath. Human shampoos will dry out your cat’s skin, and it can even cause allergic reactions and irriation.
If you’ve given your cat a bath or two, you’ve changed their diet and your cat is drinking enough yet they still have dandruff, it may be time to seek veterinary attention. Dandruff can be the result of an even worse health issue, and it’s important that you bring your cat to a veterinarian to rule other issues out.