6 Best Top Entry Cat Litter Boxes With Our 2023 Budget-Friendly Pick
While some cats prefer a completely open litter box, other kitties will appreciate privacy and security when they visit their box. Top entry litter boxes are built to give cats the alone time they need while keeping other household pets out of their space.
35% Off at Chewy.com
+ Free ShippingSave Now
We like that top entry litter boxes keep messes and odor contained, while keeping waste-eating canine pals out. They offer innovative construction, making top entry litter boxes a good fit for most homes. We’ve created a helpful guide so you can choose the best top entry litter box for your feline friend, while getting all of the features you need at a great price.
What is the Best Top Entry Cat Litter Box?
6 Benefits of Using a Top Entry Cat Litter Box
Top entry litter boxes may seem like an interesting concept at first, but they are incredibly beneficial for a multitude of reasons. We highlight some of those benefits below:
- Offer privacy and security: Top entry cat litter boxes are idea for cats who prefer ultimate privacy when doing their business. Enclosed litter boxes also make cats feel secure so they can feel relaxed.
- Keep dogs out of the litter box: Dogs are known to enjoy a snack from the litter box from time to time. A top entry litter box keeps waste in the box and dogs (and other animals) out of it. Cat feces can cause serious health problems if ingested by your pup.
- Eliminates mess outside the box: Some cats make extreme messes when they use the litter box. Some cats spray, while others kick and dig at the litter. A top entry cat litter box will keep all messes inside the box, eliminating the need to constantly be cleaning up outside of the box.
- Contains odor: Since top entry litter boxes have lids on them, odors are much better contained. Keep smells inside the litter box so they won’t linger into your home. Just be sure to scoop the litter box daily. If the box gets too smelly, your cat won’t want to use it.
- Hides unsightly waste: No one enjoys looking at a litter box with waste in it. Top entry litter boxes hide unsightly litter and its contents.
- More attractive: Top entry litter boxes tend to have attractive, neutral designs. They will be nicer to look at than a standard rectangular litter box.
How to Transition Your Cat to a New Litter Box
If you’re switching your feline friend from an open litter box to a top-entry design, leave the lid off the new box while you work on the transition. After a few days of offering both litter boxes to your kitty, remove the old box and only keep the new one available. Continue to keep the lid off the top entry box until your cat is using it comfortably. Eventually you can add the lid. Timing all depends on your cat and how easily they are transitioning.
5 Components to Look for in a Top Entry Cat Litter Box
All top entry litter boxes possess similar qualities, but there may be some features that you haven’t considered yet. Here we list some important components that you’ll want to think about before making your final purchase:
- Size: Like traditional litter boxes, top entry litter boxes are available in a variety of sizes. Generally they are large enough to accommodate all size kitties, but we suggest comparing measurements if you need to buy a litter box for a large cat.
- Shape: There are two general shapes for top entry litter boxes – rounded and rectangular. The shape you choose depends on which will fit your cat the best and your own design preferences.
- Lid: Top entry litter boxes typically come with a textured lid which acts as a litter mat. They are meant to reduce tracking. Every lid has a different style and entrance shape.
- Special features: Many top entry litter boxes come with additional special features such as a litter scoop hook, bag anchors or built-in handles. These helpful features may not be necessary, but they add convenience.
- Design: Top entry litter boxes can look pretty standard, but some boast a modern or elegant design. If you keep your cat’s litter box in an area where guests can see it, you may consider a nicer looking option.
Best Top Entry Cat Litter Box
|Our 2023 Picks: Best Top Entry Cat Litter Boxes|
|Clevercat Top Entry Cat Litter Box
|IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box
|Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box
|ScoopFree Top Entry Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box
|Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
|Lucky Champ Cat Litter Pan
Clevercat Top Entry Cat Litter Box
- Accommodates kittens to large cats
- Seamless sides eliminate any urine leakage
- Neutral color to match your home décor
- Built in tracking mat
Overall Best Top Entry Cat Litter Box – The award-winning Clevercat Top Entry Cat Litter Box is the one that started the top entry movement. The tall, seamless sides keep litter and waste inside the box to prevent any sort of mess from being tracked onto your floors and around you home. The top of the cat litter box has a built in tracking mat to remove any excess granules from your kitty’s paws after exiting the box.
The Clevercat top entry litter box is made in the USA with durable material. It will accommodate cats of all sizes, from kittens to some extra-large breeds. The design of this box is inconspicuous and it boasts a neutral color that will be suitable for any home. This top entry cat litter box is constructed from only two parts so it’s quick to assemble, clean and maintain.
- Trusted design which comes highly recommended by cat parents
- Simplistic, reliable construction that keeps waste and litter inside the box
- Built in mat to reduce tracking
- Inconspicuous design and neutral color to go with any home décor
- This box does require jumbo liners due to the large size of the box
IRIS Top Entry Cat Litter Box
- Attractive, modern design
- Attached hook for a litter scoop
- Rubber feet to keep the box in place
- Grooves on the lid work as a litter mat to reduce tracking
Runner-Up Best Top Entry Cat Litter Box – The IRIS top entry cat litter box is an excellent value for the price. This modern litter box is fitting for all cats, including extra-large kitties. The top entrance is especially large, so it will be easier for big kitties to do their business. The lid on the IRIS top entry cat litter box has grooves that reduce tracking. The rounded design make this box easy to wipe down and clean.
A helpful feature on the IRIS top entry cat litter box is the hook to store your litter scoop. It also has rubber feet that keep the box from moving around on slick flooring. This top entry cat litter box comes in two color combinations to best suit your preferences.
- Equipped with special features such as non-slip rubber feet and a litter scoop hook
- Grooved lid helps reduce tracking
- Modern design, available in two colors
- Suitable for large cats
- Round structure is easy to clean
- May require jumbo waste liners to properly fit the oval shape of this box
Frisco Top Entry Cat Litter Box
- Textured lid reduces tracking
- Made of BPA-free, recyclable plastic
- Lid has an innovative lifting design
Best Budget-Friendly Top Entry Cat Litter Box – This Frisco top entry cat litter box is ideal for all cats who tend to spray or dig when they use the litter box. The rounded design is easy to clean, and its simplicity will be suitable in any home. The lid of the Frisco top entry litter box has small nodules which help reduce tracking when your kitty leaves the box. It also lifts and stays open so you can refill the litter box without hassle.
If you’re looking for an extremely cost-effective top entry kitty litter box, this is the one. It’s a fantastic value, so even purchasing more than one box for multi-cat households won’t break the bank. There are not specific liners to appropriately fit this litter box, but a jumbo liner should do the trick.
- Attractive design
- Lid lifts open for easy cleaning and scooping
- Reduce tracking with the textured lid
- Fits most size cats
- The manufacturer does not make specific liners for this box
ScoopFree Top Entry Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box
- Keeps itself clean for weeks at a time
- Uses track and dust-free crystal litter
- Health counter to keep track of your cat’s elimination
- The hood has a grated surface to further reduce tracking
Best Automatic Top Entry Cat Litter Box – If you want a top entry litter box that does it all, the ScoopFree top entry automatic litter box is the solution! This self-cleaning litter box will stay clean for weeks on end without any necessary maintenance. It rakes your cat’s waste into a receptacle so you never have to scoop the litter box again! All you have to do is discard the old litter tray and add a new one every 2-3 weeks.
The ScoopFree Top Entry Ultra Automatic Cat Litter Box offers your cat plenty of privacy. The hood has a grated surface to reduce tracking of litter. The litter box even has a health counter so you can keep track of any changes in your cat’s potty habits. To save time and the hassle of cleaning your kitty’s litter box daily, this automatic top entry cat litter box is worth considering!
- Leave the litter box unattended for weeks at a time
- Reduces tracking with crystal litter and a grated privacy hood
- Health counter to view changes in your cat’s elimination habits
- Easy to maintain
- Less wasted litter
- More expensive than traditional top entry cat litter boxes
2 More Great Top Entry Cat Litter Boxes
Petmate Top Entry Litter Pan
It’s been reported that the Petmate top entry cat litter box is a fantastic option for large cats. It has a wide top opening and the interior is spacious for larger kitties. The lid of the box opens up for cleaning and refilling litter. It’s also textured to reduce tracking, but the grooves aren’t as effective as some of the other lids on our list. This top entry litter box has built in handles so it’s easy to move, as well as a hook for your litter scoop. This Petmate litter box is made in the USA from 95% recyclable materials.
Modkat Top Entry Cat Litter Box
While the top entry litter box from Modkat is fairly expensive, it comes equipped with several unique features. The first is a swivel lid that allows you to easily clean the litter box and empty any excess litter from the lid back into the box. The Modkat top entry litter box also comes with a reusable liner which can be used for up to 3 months. It is rip-resistant and cleanable. This top entry litter box is an award-winning choice that will look fabulous in any modern home. Based on the dimensions, this litter box probably won’t be the best for large cats.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can a kitten use a top entry litter box? Kittens can use top entry litter boxes if they can easily hop in and out. If they struggle to climb into the box, use a standard box until they get bigger. If your kitten cannot easily get into the box, they may be hesitant to try and use it, which can lead to inappropriate elimination.
- Do cats like enclosed litter boxes? It all comes down to preference. Some cats enjoy a closed box because they feel hidden, and therefore safer. Other cats prefer open boxes where they can view potential incoming threats. Open litter boxes are also easier to escape. Remember to always use whichever style litter box that your cat is most comfortable with.
- How often should you change your cat’s litter? You should scoop your cat’s litter box at least once daily, or more frequently if you have multiple cats. You will also want to completely replace litter in the box every two weeks or so, and give the box a thorough cleaning at that time.
We are thoroughly impressed by the wide variety of top entry litter boxes available to cat parents. They truly offer a unique experience for kitties who prefer ultimate privacy.
Remember to always choose a box based on your cat’s preferences first and foremost. If your cat is uncomfortable, they may express their dismay by inappropriately eliminating. Luckily top entry litter boxes are affordable, so you can always buy a different style if necessary.