- What is the Best Orthopedic Dog Bed?
- 3 Benefits of Using an Orthopedic Dog Bed
- What makes a dog bed “orthopedic?”
- 6 Components to Look for in an Orthopedic Dog Bed
- Overall Best Orthopedic Dog Bed
- More Top Orthopedic Dog Bed Picks
- Frequently Asked Questions
It’s difficult to watch your senior dog struggle in their golden years. Seeing arthritis take the better part of their joints is painful for you, and it’s even more painful for them. It’s important to give your beloved canine pal the best comfort possible at home to help alleviate stress on their body. That’s where an orthopedic bed can help.
Orthopedic dog beds are designed with ailing pets in mind. Even if you have a young, spry pup running around, an orthopedic dog bed can ensure they are getting quality sleep every day. This guide will help you determine what kind of orthopedic bed will be best for your pup. We offer 7 excellent suggestions that will be appropriate for every size dog, even those beautiful giant breeds!
What is the Best Orthopedic Dog Bed?
- Big Barker Headrest Edition Pillow Top Orthopedic
- BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper Orthopedic Dog Bed
- FurHaven Plush and Suede Orthopedic Sofa
- Serta Orthopedic Quilted Dog Couch Bed
- PetLinks Supreme Soother Gel Memory Foam
- FurHaven Quilted Faux Fur & Velvet Goliath Chaise
- Best Friends by Sheri Jumbo OrthoComfort Sherpa
3 Benefits of Using an Orthopedic Dog Bed
Orthopedic beds are designed to offer superior comfort, whether you purchase one for yourself or your dog! Below are the main benefits of using an orthopedic dog bed:
- Help reduce joint pain: Orthopedic dog beds are designed to support ailing joints. They are generally built with medical-grade foam to offer superior support. If you have a senior pup who is slowing down, an orthopedic bed is a must.
- Great for dogs recovering from surgery: Dogs recovering from surgery need to have a comfortable spot to sleep and rest. Orthopedic beds evenly distribute weight and often times have neck and head support so your recovering dog can take cozy snoozes.
- Often have machine washable covers: Most of the orthopedic beds on our list have removable covers. This is handy if your dog has an accident or if they enjoy climbing into bed after a day of playing outdoors.
What makes a dog bed “orthopedic?”
Orthopedic dog beds are designed to offer your pup the very best overall body support. They are made to evenly distribute weight while properly supporting your dog’s joints, back, head and neck. A quality orthopedic dog bed won’t pancake over time, even if your dog is using it several times a day.
6 Components to Look for in an Orthopedic Dog Bed
There are a multitude of unique components that you’ll find in a good orthopedic dog bed. When choosing the bed one for your dog, considering the following components:
- Foam type: There are a few different types of foam which typically make an orthopedic bed. The two main types are egg-crate and one solid piece of foam. Egg-crate foam is known to conform immediately to the body, and it offers more airflow for dogs who run hot. What you purchase for your dog comes down to personal preference.
- Maintenance: Like we stated above, many orthopedic dog beds come with removable covers. This makes cleaning the bed extremely easy. Some beds also have waterproof liners to help contain accidents and mishaps.
- Non-skid liner: Some orthopedic beds have non-skid liners on the bottom which are great for tile and wood floors. The liner will ensure that the bed stays in place on your smooth floors.
- Padded walls: You can purchase an orthopedic dog bed that has padded walls for head and neck support. Beds can have anywhere from one to three bolstered sides. You have the option to choose whatever will be best for your dog.
- Material: Faux fur, microfiber or suede – these are some of the popular materials for orthopedic beds. If your pup runs cold, you may consider a faux fur bed to keep them warm. Like some of the other bed options, the material you choose should depend on your pup’s needs.
- Amount of foam support: Dogs who weigh less will benefit from around 4” of foam support. If you have much heavier dog, they will probably need up to 7” of foam.
Overall Best Orthopedic Dog Bed
|Our 2022 Picks: Best Orthopedic Dog Beds|
|Big Barker Headrest Edition Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
|BarksBar Snuggly Sleeper Orthopedic Dog Bed
|Serta Orthopedic Quilted Dog Couch Bed
|PetLinks Supreme Soother Gel Memory Foam Dog Bed
|FurHaven Quilted Faux Fur & Velvet Goliath Chaise Dog Bed
|Best Friends By Sheri Jumbo OrthoComfort Sherpa Deep Dish Cuddler
- Water-resistant, washable microfiber cover
- Available in a size big enough for giant breed dogs
- Made in the USA with orthopedic foam
- Won’t flatten over time
This orthopedic dog bed from Big Barker is specifically designed with arthritic dogs in mind. Big dogs have a higher risk of dealing with joint issues and pain, so this bed will help relieve some of that pain. You can purchase the bed in a giant size which is excellent for giant breeds. The premium quality foam won’t flatten over time, even if your large dog uses it consistently.
We like that the cover of this bed is water-resistant and washable. The microfiber fabric offers optimum comfort for your deserving pup. The bed design is simple so your senior dog can step onto it with ease. A side bolster allows your dog to rest their head comfortably while catching up on sleep from a busy day of chasing squirrels. Although the price tag on this orthopedic dog bed is high, you absolutely get the premium quality that you pay for.
- Water-resistant and machine washable cover
- Appropriate for giant breed dogs
- Made with arthritic dogs in mind
- Will not flatten from repeated use
- Step-on design with a supportive side bolster
- This orthopedic bed is expensive, but you get what you pay for!
- Made with human-grade orthopedic foam
- Padded walls offer head and neck support
- Removable gray cover is attractive and machine-washable
- Non-sleep rubber backing great for tile or wood flooring
Runner-Up Best Orthopedic Dog Bed: The BarksBar orthopedic bed boasts a modern look, innovative design and superior comfort for your furry friend. The base of the bed is made from human-grade foam to ensure ultimate coziness for their delicate joints. Fluffy cotton walls allow support for your pup’s head and neck so they experience ultimate relaxation.
The design of this bed is unique because it has a lower portion of the wall for your dog to easily walk into the bed. The rest of the supports are raised higher so your dog will feel secure while resting. The non-slip backing on this bed is excellent for homes with tile or wood floor. It’s beneficial that you don’t have to worry about the bed slipping out from under your dog’s paws. And don’t worry if the bed gets dirty – the cover is machine washable! Considering the style and quality of this orthopedic dog bed, it comes at a good price.
- Non-slip backing so the bed stays put in one area
- Cozy, padded walls offer support and security
- Cover is removable for easy cleaning
- Made with one large piece of premium orthopedic foam
- The longest bed available is 36”, so giant breeds may not fit comfortably
- Egg crate foam for better airflow during your dog’s nap time
- Underside is water-resistant
- Cover is machine washable
- Three bolster sides for security and hassle-free entrance onto the bed
Best Budget-Friendly Orthopedic Dog Bed: This orthopedic bed from FurHaven might be our top budget-friendly recommendation, but that doesn’t mean quality is lacking. The premium comfort you get for a great price is the reasons why an incredible amount of dog parents are raving about this bed. It’s a great choice for any size dog from a Chihuahua to a Great Dane. The bed is also available in a variety of colors to suit your home décor.
The FurHaven orthopedic bed is comprised of egg crate foam for maximum airflow while your dog is relaxing. The underside is water-resistant and the suede cover is machine washable for easy cleaning. We like that three of the bed’s sides have padded walls to support your dog’s most comfortable sleeping position. One side of the bed is left open so your pup can climb into their cozy spot, even if they have joint paint or arthritis. We think this dog bed is a phenomenal deal, and we recommend it for any dog parent on any budget!
- Contains egg crate foam for breathability during nap time
- The underside of the bed is water-resistant
- Bed cover is machine washable
- Three padded sides allow for maximum comfort
- Available for small to giant breeds in four warm colors
- Not suitable for aggressive chewers
More Top Orthopedic Dog Bed Picks
Just as Serta makes beds for humans, they made comfortable beds for our canine pals, too! This Serta dog bed has egg crate foam inside a quilted, machine washable cover. It boasts extra high padded walls for cozy neck support. The Serta orthopedic dog bed is available in a few different neutral colors and it’s best for dogs weighing up to 75lbs. The bed holds a moderate price tag, but you are also getting a high-quality product from the number one mattress company in the US.
Your pup will no doubt get the royal treatment when they snooze in this PetLinks bolster bed. It’s built with eco-sourced memory foam which will support your pup’s entire body, down to their aching joints. What makes this bed stand out is the gel beads inside which help to cool your pup during nap time. This orthopedic bed will distribute weight evenly for a tranquil sleeping experience. When it gets too dirty, throw the removable cover in the washing machine for stress-free cleaning.
This bed offers a lot of possibility in terms of design and size. It’s built specifically with large dogs in mind, as you can purchase up to a 4XL size. Dog parents can also choose between a chaise or L-chaise style to fit your dog’s sleeping preferences. This supportive orthopedic bed is built to comfort dogs up to 300lbs. Seven inches of foam offers a cushy area for your dog to relax. FurHaven Goliath Chaise bed has a removable cover so you can machine wash it regularly. We love that this massive bed caters to keeping the biggest of pups comfortable at all times.
For those dogs who would enjoy a cloud-like sleeping space, we love this cuddler from Best Friends by Sheri. The faux fur bed will keep your dog warm and feeling cozy for nap time. The tall, 12 inch bolster backing will help ease pain by offering superior neck and head support. This bed is made from non-toxic materials, which are machine washable! Dog parents can purchase this snuggly orthopedic bed in a variety of colors to suit your décor needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is memory foam good for dog beds? – Yes! Memory foam is a great option for orthopedic dog beds. Memory foam can help reduce pain and joint inflammation, as the foam supports healing and evenly distributed sleep. The type of foam that you choose for your dog bed depends on your pet’s needs.
- What is the best dog bed for dogs with arthritis? – Every dog is different. They all have specific needs, especially when dealing with a health ailment like arthritis. We believe that all of the beds we listed in this guide will be appropriate for dogs with arthritis. The foam, material and padded wall types that you choose should be determined by your dog’s favorite sleeping position and what’s most comfortable for them.
- Are elevated dog beds better? – There are a few benefits to using an elevated dog bed. The biggest benefit the airflow underneath the bed. If your dog is lounging outside, they have long fur or they tend to run hot, an elevated dog bed may be a good choice. Elevated dog beds are also great for camping and other outdoor activities because they are easy to clean.
Your dog deserves the very best sleep. It’s important that they have a place to call their own so they can relax and cuddle up comfortably. The orthopedic dog beds on our list are sure to give your dog a cozy spot to sprawl out and snooze. Support your canine’s joint health by purchasing them a high-quality orthopedic bed today!