6 Best (Top Rated) High Calorie Cat Treats in 2023
- 5 Benefits of Using High Calorie Cat Treats
- Best Feeding Practices for an Underweight Cat
- 4 Components to Look for in High Calorie Cat Treats
- Overall Best High Calorie Cat Treats in 2023
- More Top High Calorie Cat Treats
Feline obesity is incredibly common, but pet parents don’t often talk about the opposite end of the spectrum – cats who need to gain weight. A high calorie diet can assist underweight cats in growing to their full potential, and treats are an excellent way to supplement their diet. High calorie cat treats can help stimulate appetite and add nutrients to the diet of a cat who may be struggling to stay healthy.
35% Off at Chewy.com
+ Free ShippingSave Now
High calorie cat treats can be used under a variety of circumstances, most of which we’ll discuss in this article. We also touch on best practices for feeding an underweight cat, then we dive into choosing the best high calorie cat treats for your furry friend.
What Is Best High Calorie Cat Treat?
- Whole Life Just One Ingredient Pure Salmon Fillet Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
- Instinct by Nature’s Variety Raw Boost Mixers Freeze-Dried Cat Food Topper
- Tomlyn Nutri-Cal High Calorie Dietary Cat Supplement
- Polkadog Bakery Cod Skins Cat Treats
- American Journey 100% Chicken Freeze-Dried Grain-Free Cat Treats
- Primal Turkey Liver Munchies Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
5 Benefits of Using High Calorie Cat Treats
High calorie cat treats can be a fantastic option for kitties in all different sorts of health situations, whether positive or negative. You may want to consider feeding high calorie cat treats to the following types of cats:
- Growing kittens: Kittens need proper diet and nutrition to grow to their full strength and ability. If you have a tiny kitten who is struggling to live up to their health potential, high calorie cat treats may give them the boost they need.
- Malnourished cats: High calorie treats can be extremely beneficial in helping malnourished cats gain weight. Protein and fat-based treats provide essential nutrients that your kitty will need to put some healthy weight on.
- Stress-related weight loss: If your cat has been under stress, you may have noticed that they’ve lost an unhealthy amount of weight. Assuming you have address the situation that was stressing your cat out, high calorie treats can be used to supplement their diet so they are gaining an appropriate amount of weight back.
- Active cats: High calorie treats have large amounts of protein. This is helpful for cats who are constantly on the go. If you have an extremely active cat, you can keep them going with a high calorie cat treat. They will continue to support your kitty’s energy level.
- Cats lacking essential nutrients: Some cats simply lack essential nutrients that they need to thrive. High calorie cat treats can boost their overall health and wellbeing by providing the nutrients that they are currently lacking.
Best Feeding Practices for an Underweight Cat
An average cat weighing around 11lbs should be eating about 220 to 335 calories per day. Of course the amount of calories they intake will be based on their lifestyle. For underweight cats, there are a few specific tricks to consider in order to help them pack on necessary pounds.
High calorie cat treats are ideal for supplementing your cat’s diet if they need to gain weight. It’s best to look for treats with a high amount of protein, say 70% or more. The second highest percentage to look for on a cat treat package is fat. Typically if cat treats have an extremely high amount of protein versus other nutrients, they will be high in calories. Also, treats that are 100% made from a protein source will be a reliable option to help your kitty gain weight.
Some cats have difficulty digesting kibble, so they may not be fully retaining all of the nutrients from the food. The same can be said for crunchy cat treats. Moist cat treats or gels tend to be more palatable and beneficial for cats who struggle with digestion.
Underweight cats should be fed throughout the day rather than just once or twice. This will help your cat retain the food and completely digest it so they are reaping the benefits of all essential vitamins and minerals.
4 Components to Look for in High Calorie Cat Treats
Unfortunately cat parents can’t go into the store and find a “high calorie cat treats” section, so it’s up to you to decide what will be best for your kitty. However, we do offer some features to consider when picking out good high calorie cat treats.
- Protein and fat content: High calorie cat treats will contain an extremely high amount of protein, followed by a decent amount of fat. If you’re not sure how many calories a treat contains, look to see if it is high in protein and fat content.
- Main source of protein: Most high calorie cat treats are formulated with one main source of protein. Make sure that the meat is one that your cat will absolutely love. Seafood cat treats tend to have a higher calorie content than other options.
- Texture and consistency: We have a wide variety of different textured treats on our list. Crunchy, soft, gel – you can purchase high calorie cat treats in a multitude of textures. It’s most important to buy whatever will be best for your cat. Senior cats and those with sensitive teeth may benefit most from a soft morsel or palatable gel treat.
- Other ingredients: If your cat has a sensitive stomach or food allergies, always check the ingredients list when picking out cat treats (or food). A majority of the treats on our list don’t contain any corn, wheat or soy. Even if the package says “limited ingredient” or “all-natural” you should read the labeling just in case.
Overall Best High Calorie Cat Treats in 2023
|Our 2023 Picks: Best High Calorie Cat Treats|
|Whole Life Just One Ingredient Pure Salmon Fillet Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
|Instinct By Nature’s Variety Raw Boost Mixers Freeze-Dried Cat Food Topper
|Tomlyn Nutri-Cal High Calorie Dietary Cat Supplement
|Polkadog Bakery Cod Skins Cat Treats
|American Journey 100% Chicken Freeze-Dried Grain-Free Cat Treats
|Primal Turkey Liver Munchies Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
Whole Life Just One Ingredient Pure Salmon Fillet Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
- About 5 calories per treat
- Salmon is the only ingredient
- Freeze-dried to preserve flavor and texture
- Naturally gluten and grain-free
Overall Best High Calorie Cat Treats – Whole Life cat treats are an exceptional option for kitties who need a high calorie treat with a low ingredient list. These delicious freeze-dried treats are made with salmon…and nothing else! You won’t find any chemicals, additives or preservatives in this high calorie cat treats, making them terrific for cats with sensitive digestion. And for even more piece of mind, Whole Life cat treats are completely sourced and manufactured in the USA.
Whole Life salmon freeze-dried treats have over 5 calories per snack, meaning they have more than double the calories of a standard cat reward. They are an incredible source of protein, and salmon has a natural blend of omega 3’s and vitamins to promote your kitty’s overall wellbeing. These treats can be given whole, added to food as a topper or soaked in water for a softer treat.
- More than 5 calories per treat
- The only ingredient is salmon
- Can also be used as a food topper or soaked in water for a soft, tender snack
- High protein with natural omega 3’s and vitamins
- 100% traceable and verified ingredients
- These high calorie can’t treats aren’t cheap, but they are high quality!
Instinct by Nature’s Variety Raw Boost Mixers Freeze-Dried Cat Food Topper
- Also a food topper
- Made with farm-raised rabbit and pork organs
- Freeze-dried, raw bites
- No grain, potato, corn, wheat or soy
Runner-Up Best High Calorie Cat Treats – While these high calorie cat treats are ultimately meant to be a food topper, cats also love them as tasty treats! Each bite is packed with protein plus a blend of non-GMO fruits and veggies. Your cat will love these treats, as the raw bites are freeze-dried to seal in nutrition, flavor and moisture. Each treat is soft and tender so even kitties with sensitive teeth will be able to enjoy.
These raw high calorie cat treats help to support your cat’s digestion while boosting their health with fine ingredients from around the world. They also promote healthy skin and coat, which is particularly helpful for cats who are going through any sort of recovery process. For cats with food allergies, these delicious snacks don’t contain any grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy or artificial preservatives. Instinct Raw Boost Mixers come in at around 4 calories per treat.
- Works as a high calorie food topper also
- Packed full of protein
- Great for cats with sensitive digestion
- Freeze-dried, raw bites lock in moisture, flavor and nutritional value
- Soft, tender morsels for cats with limited or sensitive teeth
- These high calorie cat treats are more expensive than other options.
Tomlyn Nutri-Cal High Calorie Dietary Cat Supplement
- Palatable gel can be added to food or used as a lickable treat
- Packaged in a convenient dispensing tube
- Contains a blend of carbohydrates, vitamins and fatty acids
- Provides appetite stimulation
Best High Calorie Supplement for Cats – For sickly cats, growing kittens or cats who are seriously lacking essential nutrients in their diet, we suggest this high calorie supplement from Tomlyn. Nutri-cal is a palatable gel which comes in a squeezable tube so your kitty can lick it as a treat or you can add it to meals. This high calorie cat supplement is an appetite stimulator, and it’s packed with carbs, vitamins, minerals and omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids.
Nutri-cal is veterinarian formulated, and it has an irresistible flavor that your cat is sure to enjoy. To support and boost your cat’s healthy appetite, we highly suggest considering this high calorie cat supplement. It can be used in a variety of situations, and you can administer it based on your feline friend’s preferences.
- Veterinarian formulated for cats who need a nutritional boost
- Promotes appetite stimulation
- Tasty, palatable gel
- Suitable for growing kittens, active cats, sickly cats and those lacking nutrients
- Some cats may not be keen on the idea of a gel treat.
More Top High Calorie Cat Treats
Polkadog Bakery Cod Skins Cat Treats
Cod skins may sound like a stinky snack to us, but your cat will go crazy for them! These high calorie cat treats are made from 100% wild-caught Alaskan cod. The skins are hand rolled then dehydrated at low temperatures to give them a delightful crunch. These single ingredient cat treats are protein packed and don’t contain any additives or preservatives. Each delectable cod stick contains about 4 calories. Polkadog cod skins are locally sourced and all-natural, making them safe for your canine companions to enjoy as well.
American Journey 100% Chicken Freeze-Dried Grain-Free Cat Treats
If your carnivorous kitty goes crazy for chicken, these freeze-dried cat treats from American Journey are a delicious, high calorie option. Each crunchy morsel contains about 4 calories. Treats are freeze-dried to retain moisture, flavor, texture and aroma, and these snacks are no exception. The only ingredient is chicken, so you can feel great knowing that your kitty isn’t ingesting any corn, wheat, soy, salt or artificial preservatives. You can use these American Journey high calorie cat treats as a daily reward or food topper.
Primal Turkey Liver Munchies Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
Another single source protein, high calorie cat treat that we suggest are these munchies from Primal. These freeze-dried turkey liver cat treats are made in the USA and are naturally gluten and grain-free. They make a terrific snack, training reward or food topper for your finicky eater. The turkey used to make these treats is raised in the USA to ensure quality and safety. Primal Turkey Liver Munchies are a wholesome high calorie treat for cats, but you can also share them with the pups in your household! Each freeze-dried bite will have your pets drooling for more.
- What else can I give my cat to help them gain weight? Aside from high calorie food, treats and supplements, you can give your cat some cheese or boiled egg. A dab of cottage cheese will also offer a high calorie boost. Just remember to only administer these foods in moderation. They should not substitute your cat’s regular diet. Weight gain supplements are also available.
- What should I do if my cat is losing weight? If your cat is rapidly losing weight, it could be the cause of a more serious underlying health condition. Parasites, kidney disease, liver problems, cancer, heart disease and diabetes can all cause weight loss. Seek veterinary care for your cat if their weight loss has been quick and consistent.
- What kind of food should I feed my cat to help them gain weight? There are specific diets made to assist cats with weight gain. A good cat food for underweight cats will contain around 30% protein and 20% fat if it’s a kibble diet. Wet food diets should contain 7% protein and 5% fat.
High calorie cat treats can be helpful for kittens, active cats, sickly cats or those lacking essential nutrients in their diet. Always check the ingredients list on the packaging to verify that the treats have a high protein and fat content. If you have specific questions about your cat’s health and weight, consult your veterinarian.