- What is Best Grain Free Cat Treat?
- 4 Benefits of Using Grain Free Cat Treats
- Symptoms of Grain Allergies in Cats
- 5 Components to Look for in Grain Free Cat Treats
- Overall Best Grain Free Cat Treats in 2019
- 5 More Top Grain Free Cat Treats
- Frequently Asked Questions
With grain free cat food diets increasing in popularity, it’s no surprise that there is a demand for delicious grain free treats. Many cat parents prefer a grain free lifestyle for their cat, especially if there is a sensitive stomach or grain allergy to consider. Thankfully, there are a multitude of high-quality grain free cat treats available today.
Grains can be difficult for cats to digest, but we don’t want our kitties missing out on treat time! That being said, we’ve compiled our research and experience to bring you helpful information about grain-free cat treats. Then we offer our favorite grain free cat treat recommendations. Is your cat salivating yet?! Let’s get to it!
What is Best Grain Free Cat Treat?
- Life Essentials Chicken Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken & Turkey Grain Free Cat Treats
- Purina Beyond Chicken & Egg Recipe Grain Free Cat Treats
- PureBites Salmon Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Treats
- Wellness Kittles Grain Free Chicken & Cranberries Recipe Crunchy Cat Treats
- Fancy Feast Purely Natural Hand-Flaked Tuna Cat Treats
- Buddy Biscuits Grain-Free With Tempting Tuna Cat Treats
- Get Naked Kitten Health Grain Free Soft Cat Treats
4 Benefits of Using Grain Free Cat Treats
While there has been some debate about grain free diets for cat and dogs, there are some unique benefits of feeding your cat grain free treats. They are especially helpful for kitties with specific health conditions:
- Great for cats with allergies: While it’s rare for cats to have food allergies, it is possible. Cats can develop an allergy to grains. If your cat is allergic to grains, then grain free treats are the only way to go!
- Suitable for sensitive stomachs: Grains can be difficult for some kitties to digest. If you’re looking for an easily-digestible cat treat for your sensitive kitty, then grain free treats are worth considering.
- Typically contain more natural ingredients: Grain free cat treats often contain limited ingredients, and/or a blend of more natural ingredients. While grain free cat treats can be healthier, that’s not always the case. Be sure to check the ingredients list on the treat’s packaging.
- Can be better for diabetic cats: Grain free cat treats are generally high in protein and lower in carbohydrates. Treats with this ingredient makeup are beneficial for cats with diabetes. Be careful, though, as grain free treats often have highly glycemic carb sources which may be difficult for diabetic cats to process.
Symptoms of Grain Allergies in Cats
If you think your cat may have a grain allergy, there are a handful of symptoms to be on the lookout for. Keep in mind that these symptoms could also be a cause of other types of allergies as well:
- Inflamed skin
- Excessive itchiness
- Bald spots
- Scabs and sores
- Hot spots
- Hair loss
5 Components to Look for in Grain Free Cat Treats
Grain free cat treats and food have become a popular diet formula among cat parents in recent years. With that said, there seem to be an endless amount of grain free treats to choose from. Consider the features below when picking out yummy grain free treats for your kitty:
- Approved by AAFCO: AAFCO is the acronym for The Association of American Feed Control Officials. AAFCO is a private, voluntary organization which helps enforce state laws and regulations in terms of animal feed safety. They are not a government agency, and they do not inspect anything. But some cat parents like an AAFCO seal of approval for state of mind.
- Crunchy or soft: Does your cat have a preference when it comes to the texture and consistency of their treats? Crunchy grain free cat treats and soft-moist morsels are the most common. You will have many options to choose from whichever type of grain free treat your cat prefers.
- Flavor: Flavors are abundant when looking at grain free cat treats. Whether your feline friend like chicken, salmon, turkey or duck, you’ll be able to find a quality treat for them.
- Package size: If you have a multi-cat household, you may consider choosing a treat that offers a larger package size. Unfortunately some grain free cat treats only come in small bags, in which case you’ll need to buy several. It’s always convenient when you have the option of purchasing a large tub of treats.
- Ingredients: Many grain free cat treats have limited ingredients. Some of the cat treats on our list of recommendations only have one ingredient total! If there are ingredients you want to avoid, be sure to read the labeling.
Overall Best Grain Free Cat Treats in 2019
|Our 2019 Picks: Best Grain Free Cat Treats|
|Life Essentials Chicken Freeze-Dried Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken & Turkey Grain Free Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Purina Beyond Chicken & Egg Recipe Grain Free Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|PureBites Salmon Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Wellness Kittles Grain Free Chicken & Cranberries Recipe Crunchy Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Fancy Feast Purely Natural Hand-Flaked Tuna Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Buddy Biscuits Grain-Free With Tempting Tuna Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Get Naked Kitten Health Grain Free Soft Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
- Can be used as a treat or food topper
- All white chicken breast is the only ingredient
- Zero grains, fillers, chemicals or additives
- Made in the USA with USDA-approved meat
Overall Best Grain Free Cat Treats – These grain free cat treats are made from just one ingredient – chicken! They are made with USDA-approved white meat chicken. If you want a scrumptious cat treat without fillers or additives, Life Essentials have you covered. We love these cat treats because they can be given as a reward or crumbles up as a food topper.
We love how simple Life Essentials Chicken Freeze-Dries Cat Treats are. There are no mystery ingredients so you can feel good knowing that your kitty is getting a safe, quality treat. These grain free cat treats are manufactured in the USA and perfectly freeze-dried to offer your kitty a savory, wholesome snack.
- Made with one ingredient; USDA-approved all white meat chicken
- No mystery ingredients, fillers or additives
- Made in the USA
- Suitable as a treat or food topper
- These treats cost more than typical cat treats, but you’re paying for quality!
- Chicken and turkey are the first ingredients
- Only 1.5 calories per treat
- Enhanced with vitamins to promote overall wellbeing
- No by-product meals, grain, wheat, soy or corn
Runner-Up Best Grain Free Cat Treats – These grain free cat treats from Blue Buffalo are a savory lean protein snack for cats of all ages. The soft-moist consistency of the treats will be easy for kittens, seniors and every kitty in between to chew and eat. At only 1.5 calories per treat, these morsels are packed full of vitamins to enhance your cat’s health and promote overall wellbeing.
Not only are these delicious cat treats grain free, but they are also free of wheat, soy, corn, by-product meals and artificial preservatives. For cats with sensitive tummies, these treats would be an excellent choice. With Blue Buffalo grain free cat treats, you know you are offering your cat a premium, nutritious snack. They are made in the USA to ensure top-notch quality and taste.
- Made with quality ingredients in the USA
- Lean proteins are the top ingredients
- Packed with vitamins to enhance your cat’s health and wellbeing
- Suitable for cats at any life stage
- Soft morsels are great for cats with sensitive teeth
- These treats are only available in one package size.
- Chicken is the first ingredient
- Crunchy texture
- Grain and gluten-free
- Enhanced with vitamins and minerals
Best Budget-Friendly Grain Free Cat Treats – These crunchy grain free treats are sure to get your cat purring! Made with chicken as the first ingredient plus egg for additional protein, these treats make an excellent reward or snack between meals. Each batch of yummy treats is created with vitamins and minerals to give your cat a boost to their health. While these crunchy cat treats are grain free, they are also made without gluten, soy, corn and artificial preservatives.
Purina Beyond Chicken & Egg Recipe Grain Free Cat Treats are made with natural, wholesome ingredients to meet your standards as a pet parent. They are manufactured in the USA to ensure they meet the highest quality expectations. These natural grain free cat treats come in two different size bags and they are extremely affordable.
- Made in US facilities
- Free of grain, gluten, soy, corn and artificial ingredients
- Crunchy texture
- Formulated with beneficial vitamins and minerals
- May be difficult for kitties with sensitive teeth to chew since they have a crunchy consistency.
5 More Top Grain Free Cat Treats
These grain free cat treats from PureBites are made with one ingredient – 100% pure wild-caught salmon. Delicious salmon bites are freeze-dried to create a nutritious cat treat that your kitties will absolutely love. The treats are high in protein and contain 3 calories per snack. PureBites are naturally gluten and grain free. They are proudly made in the USA through a special freeze-drying process. Flavors, aroma, texture and freshness are all preserved in the delicate process. PureBites also offers other freeze-dried grain free cat treat options.
Wellness Kittles grain free cat treats are packed with protein and savory flavor. Each crunchy snack helps clean teeth while supporting your kitty’s oral health. These treats are 100% natural with chicken as the top ingredient. Each treat is less than 2 calories, and they contain a variety of delicious ingredients such as peas, chickpeas, blueberries, cranberries and flaxseed. Wellness Kittles come in a resealable package for convenience, as a multitude of flavors are available to suit your cat’s preferences.
Fancy Feast grain free tuna treats make an excellent snack or meal topper. These delicious morsels are made from 100% tuna without any by-products or fillers. They are low in fat but high in protein for cats of all different ages and activity levels. These Fancy Feast cat treats come in unique pouches that keep the tuna fresh. Even picky eaters will absolutely love these savory tuna treats. Your kitty deserves to indulge!
These cat treats from Buddy Biscuits are soft, chewy bites that are full of nutrition and free of artificial flavors. Each tender treat is made with tuna as the #1 ingredient. Cat parents don’t have to worry about any grain, gluten, corn or soy in these treats, so even kitties with sensitive tummies can enjoy. Buddy Biscuits come packaged in a resealable bag to preserve freshness. They are produced in the USA with high-quality standards.
For kittens who need a grain free treat, we like these some Get Naked. The treats are formulated to encourage cognitive development and the natural growing processes of your tiny kitten. Chicken is the first ingredient in these grain free kitten treats, and they are blended with omega 3. The soft morsels will be easy for your kitten to chew with their delicate teeth, and the shape of them will promote good dental health. Get Naked also offers a variety of functional treats for cats of all ages.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can my cat eat a plant-based diet? No. Cats are carnivores. They need protein derived from animals in order to properly thrive. While cat parents can offer a plant-based cat treat from time to time, it’s important that plant-based treats and food are not your kitty’s only source of protein.
- Are grain free and gluten free cat treats the same? No, they are not. Grain-free treats will always be gluten free, but gluten-free treats won’t always be grain free. Gluten is a protein that is found in specific types of grain such as wheat, barley and rye. Therefore, grain free treats will never contain gluten.
- Are Greenies cat treats grain free? Unfortunately, there are no grain free Greenies cat treats on the market today. However, there are some other fantastic, premium grain free cat treats on our list that your cat is sure to devour.
- Are grain free treats best for cats? Grain free cat treats are a good option for kitties with allergies, sensitive stomachs or fragile digestion. Every cat has unique nutritional needs, and the best type of treats for cats should be determined on a case by case basis.
If you were searching for a grain free treat for your cat, we hope that you were able to pick out a good one from our list! Remember to always consult your veterinarian with questions or concerns about your cat’s health.