- What Is Best Diabetic Cat Treats?
- 4 Benefits of Feeding Special Treats to Your Diabetic Cat
- What is Feline Diabetes?
- 5 Components to Look for in Diabetic Cat Treats
- Overall Best Cat Treats for Diabetic Cats in 2020
- 3 More Top Diabetic Cat Treats
- Frequently Asked Questions
Fat cat memes may be funny and adorable on the internet, but feline obesity is certainly not a laughing matter. A common side effect of obesity in cats is feline diabetes. Diabetes is a health concern which must be taken seriously and treated as directed by your veterinarian.
Vets will often suggest a change in your cat’s diet if they’ve been diagnosed with diabetes. Not only will you need most likely need to switch your cat’s food, but you may also need to purchase appropriate replacement cat treats. In this article we’ll share more about feline diabetes and how to pick out good diabetic cat treats that your kitty will love.
What Is Best Diabetic Cat Treats?
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hydrolyzed Protein Feline Cat Treats
- Hill’s Prescription Diet Metabolic Weight Management Cat Treats
- NutriSentials Lean Treats Nutritional Cat Treats
- PureBites Chicken Breast Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Treats
- Meat Mates Lamb Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Treats
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken & Turkey Grain-Free Cat Treats
- Life Essentials Wild Alaskan Salmon Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
4 Benefits of Feeding Special Treats to Your Diabetic Cat
Diabetic cats require unique treats. While a popular pet brand treat may seem like an easy choice for your kitty, you’ll need to do a bit of extra research to see which treat type is best for your cat’s situation. Picking out that special treat is important in order to keep your cat’s feline diabetes under control. Generally speaking, there are going to be certain types of cat treats that will be best for a cat with diabetes. Below we highlight benefits of feeding unique treats to a diabetic cat:
- They are low in calories: If your cat is battling diabetes, chances are they are overweight. Diabetic cat treats are typically low in calories to ensure that offering a reward isn’t adding to the number on your cat’s scale. Of course, it’s up to cat parents to feed treats responsibly. Many cats would eat the whole bag if given the opportunity!
- High in protein, but low in fat and carbs: Diabetic cats may have difficulty when attempting to digest carbohydrates. The best treats for diabetic cats will be comprised mostly of a protein source with very little to no fat and carbs. This leads us to our next benefit.
- Good for sensitive stomachs: Since treats for cats with diabetes have little, if any, carbohydrates, many of them are great for cats with sensitive stomachs. There are plenty of high protein snacks that are gluten and grain-free, so even kitties with food allergies can enjoy them.
- Your cat won’t miss out: Every kitty deserves a treat from time to time! Just because your cat has diabetes doesn’t mean they can’t enjoy treats like other cats. Diabetic cat treats ensure that your cat will always be a part of the fun.
What is Feline Diabetes?
Feline diabetes is similar to diabetes in humans in that the body does not produce enough insulin to balance out glucose intake from the cat’s diet. Insulin is naturally produced by the pancreas, but cats with diabetes are lacking the necessary supply. Without the appropriate amount of insulin, your cat’s body will struggle to properly regulate blood glucose levels. Your cat will become diabetic if they aren’t producing enough insulin.
- Excessive eating and drinking
- Eating a lot but consistently losing weight
- Frequent urination
If you suspect your cat may be suffering from diabetes, it’s best to seek veterinary attention as soon as possible. Your vet may recommend insulin injections and a change in diet. There isn’t a cure for feline diabetes, but it can be controlled. Some cats can even eventually come off of insulin injections. Now let’s take a look at some components to look for when choosing the best diabetic cat treats.
5 Components to Look for in Diabetic Cat Treats
If your cat has been newly diagnosed with diabetes and you’re not sure where to start, don’t worry! We have you covered with some important features to look for in the best treats for your cat with diabetes.
- High in protein: The best treats for your cat with feline diabetes will be high in protein and low in carbohydrates and fat. Some treats are made with hydrolyzed protein, which is easier for a cat’s stomach to digest.
- Calories per treat: If your cat is overweight, you’ll want to consider a treats with 2 calories or less per snack.
- Additional ingredients: Some diabetic cats have a difficult time breaking down grains. You may want to pick a limited ingredient cat treat if your kitty has a sensitive stomach or GI issues. Often times freeze-dried treats are naturally grain and gluten-free.
- Crunchy or soft: If your feline friend has sensitive teeth, there are a plethora of soft, moist treats that your cat will love. Crunchy treats often help to promote good dental health.
- Vitamins and minerals: There are some diabetic cat treats that are made with a blend of essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids which help to encourage your cat’s good health. Examples of these are taurine for heart health and vitamin B for skin and coat.
Overall Best Cat Treats for Diabetic Cats in 2020
|Our 2020 Picks: Best Diabetic Cat Treats|
|Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hydrolyzed Protein Feline Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Hill’s Prescription Diet Metabolic Weight Management Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|NutriSentials Lean Treats Nutritional Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|PureBites Chicken Breast Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Meat Mates Lamb Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken & Turkey Grain-Free Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
|Life Essentials Wild Alaskan Salmon Freeze-Dried Cat Treats||CHECK PRICE|
- 1.6 calories per treat
- Great for cats with food sensitivities
- Supports digestive health
- High protein, low fat
Overall Best Diabetic Cat Treats – There are several great Veterinary Diet cat treats from Royal Canin, but we chose the hydrolyzed protein option as our top diabetic cat treat. These delectable snacks are high in protein and low in fat to support diabetic kitties and furry friends with sensitive digestion. The treats are formulated with soy proteins which are easily digested by cats with weak immune systems and GI concerns.
Royal Canin hydrolyzed protein diabetic cat treats are made with a blend of vitamin B and amino acids which assist in the production of a healthy skin barrier. This benefit is especially helpful for our feline friends that often up with irritated skin from eating certain foods and treats. Since the formula is high protein but low in fat and carbohydrates, these treats will be appropriate for your diabetic cat, or kitty who is on a weight management program.
- Excellent option for cats with sensitive stomachs
- Suitable for diabetic cats, or those on a weight loss plan
- Supports digestive and skin health
- Formulated with vitamin B and amino acids to promote healthy skin and coat
- Available in other diet formulas such as urinary tract health
- These treats are crunchy, and may be difficult for cats with sensitive teeth to eat.
- Only 1 calorie per treat
- Support healthy weight loss and weight management plans
- High protein snacks
- Crunchy shape and texture promotes dental health
Runner-Up Best Diabetic Cat Treats – Many diabetic cats struggle with weight, and these crunchy treats will be a welcome addition to your kitty’s diet. Whether your diabetic cat is on a diet or not, they deserve a healthy reward from time to time. These treats are only 1 calorie per treat, making them snack for cats on any specialized health plan. They are also designed to manage your cat’s appetite, keeping them full between meals.
These high protein cat treats are appropriate for diabetic cats since they are low in fat and carbs. The flavor is highly palatable so your adult cat will easily enjoy them. The crunchy, heart-shaped treats will promote good oral health as they work to clean teeth with every bite. Since these diabetic cat treats are a part of Hill’s veterinary prescription diet line, you will need veterinarian approval to purchase them.
- Only 1 calorie per treat
- Great reward to supplement a weight loss plan
- Crunchy heart shape promotes good oral health
- High protein treats are flavorful and palatable
- You will need veterinary authorization to purchase these cat treats.
- Soft and chewy texture
- Made in the USA with real chicken
- Formulated with taurine to support a healthy heart
- Can double as a pill pocket
Best Budget-Friendly Diabetic Cat Treats – NutriSentials lean cat treats will make a delicious addition to your cat’s daily routine. These soft treats are suitable for diabetic cats because they are made with real chicken and possess a large amount of protein without too much fat content. They are manufactured in the USA with delectable ingredients that your kitty will love. The wholesome chicken flavor is savory and popular among our feline friends.
Since these diabetic cat treats are soft and chewy, they can easily double as a pill pocket. Cat parents report that the treats wrap around pills effectively for routinely administering medication. The treats are formulated with taurine to support your cat’s heart health as well as good vision. Luckily you can purchase these treats for your diabetic cat without a prescription or veterinary approval.
- No veterinary authorization necessary for purchase
- Soft, chewy texture is good for cats with sensitive teeth
- Taurine supports heart health and vision
- Can double as a pill pocket
- These treats are 3 calories per snack, which is higher than the other treats on our list.
- Chicken is the only ingredient
- Sourced and made in the USA
- Can double as a food topper
- 100% pure and natural
Editor’s Pick – PureBites freeze-dried cat treats are the editor’s pick for best diabetic cat treats. These nutritious treats are made with only one ingredient – 100% chicken breast. The freeze drying process ensures that these delicious snacks maintain their flavor, aroma and texture. At 2 calories per treat, these healthy rewards can be used for training, as a daily treat or crumbled over food as a topper.
Diabetic cats need treats that are high in protein, and PureBites won’t disappoint. The naturally gluten and grain free treats are available in a variety of different proteins, all of which are sourced and made in the US. PureBites have a lightweight yet crunchy consistency, and they will be easy to chew if your kitty has sensitive teeth. We recommended PureBites treats for cats battling diabetes, stomach sensitivities or other digestive concerns. They are also appropriate to share with canine pals, also!
- Made with one ingredient
- Naturally gluten and grain free, with no additives or fillers
- Easy to eat and break down into smaller bites
- Sourced and manufactured in the USA
- Pure protein treats are great for diabetic cats
- These treats are more expensive than others, but you’re paying for quality and nutrition.
3 More Top Diabetic Cat Treats
These savory lamb treats will surely be having your cat purring for more. They are made from lamb meat plus organs. The meat is sourced in New Zealand from 100% grass fed lamb. The treats are great for cats with diabetes because they are high in protein and don’t contain any additives, fillers, grain or gluten. They are freeze-dried to lock in savory flavor and texture. Meat Mates are also healthy treats for kitties with sensitive stomachs or food allergies.
Blue Buffalo grain-free cat treats are packed full of flavor and nutrition in every tender bite. With no artificial flavors, preservatives or colors, these treats are appropriate for diabetic cats and furry friends who struggle with food sensitivities. These Blue Buffalo cat treats only have 1.5 calories per snack, and they are enhanced with vitamins and nutrients to promote your cat’s overall wellbeing. These soft, tender cat treats are available in a variety of other protein options.
Life Essentials has several delectable freeze-dried treats for you to choose from, but we thought your cat may like a change with some yummy salmon snacks. These freeze-dried cat treats are made with salmon as the only ingredient. The small cubes will be easy for sensitive teeth to chew through, and you can even crumble them to use as a food topper for those finicky eaters. These cat treats will be a premium choice for your diabetic cat since they are low in fat and calories but high in protein content.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I prevent my cat from getting diabetes? The best way to prevent feline diabetes is to keep your cat at a healthy weight. Overweight cats are extremely likely to become diabetic.
- What happens if cat diabetes is left untreated? Untreated diabetes can be life-threatening. It’s absolutely imperative that feline diabetes is treated per your veterinarian’s instructions so your kitty can live a long, healthy life. Neglecting to do so can mean a slow, miserable end of life for your cat.
- How can you tell if your cat has diabetes? The most common symptoms of feline diabetes are frequent urination, excessive drinking, change in appetite, weakness and decreased activity. If you suspect your cat may have diabetes, seek veterinary council as soon as you can.
Feline diabetes is serious but controllable. Cats who get diabetes at a young age can live long and healthy lives. The diabetic cat treats on our list will allow your kitty to enjoy yummy snacks from time to time while remaining in overall good health. Remember to always consult your veterinarian with specific questions about your furry friend’s health.