- What Is Best Cat Treats in 2022?
- 4 Benefits to Feeding Your Cat Treats
- Tips for Feeding Cat Treats Wisely
- 6 Components to Look for in Cat Treats
- Overall Best Cat Treats in 2022
- 4 More Top Cat Treats
- Frequently Asked Questions
Cat parents rely on quality food to give their beloved feline friends the nutrition they need in order to remain happy and healthy. Although a balanced diet is absolutely crucial for the well-being of any cat, your cat deserves a little pick-me-up from time to time. That’s where cat treats come in! Special snacks for your kitty provide flavor and fun to break up an otherwise monotonous day.
While your cat will most likely be thrilled to receive treats, it’s important to be sure what you’re offering them is delicious and suitable for their current health condition. In this article we bring you our favorite cat treat recommendations along with tips for feeding cat treats properly.
What Is Best Cat Treats in 2022?
- PureBites Chicken Breast Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Treats
- Greenies Feline Savory Salmon Flavor Dental Cat Treats
- Temptations Tasty Chicken Flavor Cat Treats
- Friskies Party Mix Crunch Original Cat Treats
- Halo Liv-a-Littles Chicken Breast Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
- Wellness Kittles Grain-Free Chicken & Cranberries Recipe Crunchy Cat Treats
- Hartz Delectables Stew Tuna & Whitefish Lickable Cat Treat
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken & Turkey Grain-Free Cat Treats
4 Benefits to Feeding Your Cat Treats
Can you imagine eating the same boring meal day after day? Excite your cat’s taste buds with some kitty treats! Offering your furry friend tasty treats can be incredibly beneficial:
- Positive reinforcement reward: Positive reinforcement training is popular among dog and cat parents. This reward-based training method requires delicious treats, and yes, cats can be trained! Cat treats are an excellent, nutritious reward for kitties who enjoy training with their parents.
- Added excitement during meal time: A pet’s meal time can be boring, but treats will add excitement to a potentially bland dinner. You can crumble treats to use them as a food topper, or simply offer them as a side dish.
- Add flavor to their day: Cat treats are a welcome addition to any fancy feline’s day. They can provide spontaneous flavor and fun throughout your daily routine.
- Spoil your cat: All cats deserve to be spoiled! Buy a few different flavors or types of treats to show your kitty how much you appreciate all of the love they give you.
Tips for Feeding Cat Treats Wisely
It’s best to avoid cat treats that contain high levels of salt and sodium, and you always want to have plenty of fresh water available for your cat to drink. If you have a cat with allergies or food sensitivities, cat parents can purchase hypoallergenic or limited ingredient cat treats.
6 Components to Look for in Cat Treats
There is a diverse selection of cat treats to choose from, and picking out the best type for your cat can be overwhelming. Cat treats can be functional, organic or just plain delicious. Here are some components to consider when you’re browsing for kitty treats:
- Ingredients: If your cat has allergies or a sensitive stomach, you’ll want to take a good look at the ingredients list. There are cat treats made with just one ingredient, which will be perfect for sensitive cats.
- Calorie intake: Cat treats shouldn’t be more than 10% of your cat’s daily caloric intake. Ideally, the treats you choose for your cat should be around 2 calories or less.
- Your cat’s health condition: You’ll want to choose cat treats based on your cat’s overall health and body condition. If your kitty is overweight, you’ll want something with fewer calories. Of course the more natural the treats are, the better, especially for kitties with specific health concerns.
- Texture: Some cat treats are crunchy while others are soft. The texture you buy should depend on your cat’s preferences. If your kitty is missing teeth or they have oral health issues, a soft treat will be better.
- Flavor: There are a ton of cat treat flavors to choose from. Just like humans, cats will prefer some proteins over others. Thankfully most cat treats come in a variety of flavor options.
- Health benefits: Most cat treats are formulated to benefit a cat’s health and well-being, and there are specific options that offer additional features. These include oral health benefits, such as a shape and texture that will help clean your cat’s teeth.
Overall Best Cat Treats in 2022
|Our 2022 Picks: Best Cat Treats|
|PureBites Chicken Breast Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Treats
|Greenies Feline Savory Salmon Flavor Dental Cat Treats
|Temptations Tasty Chicken Flavor Cat Treats
|Friskies Party Mix Crunch Original Cat Treats
|Halo Liv-A-Littles Chicken Breast Freeze-Dried Cat Treats
|Wellness Kittles Grain-Free Chicken & Cranberries Recipe Crunchy Cat Treats
|Hartz Delectables Stew Tuna & Whitefish Lickable Cat Treat
|Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken & Turkey Grain-Free Cat Treats
- 100% pure chicken
- Only 2 calories per treat
- No additional ingredients
- Sourced and made in the USA
Overall Best Cat Treats – These delicious cat treats are made with just one ingredient – chicken! At only 2 calories per treat, these freeze-dried chicken treats are a healthy choice for your beloved kitty. No need to worry about additives or nasty ingredients. PureBites chicken cat treats are made and sourced in the USA with chicken and nothing else. The freeze-drying process preserves all nutrients and flavor that your cat desires. PureBites would also make a fantastic food topper for picky eaters.
For cats with sensitive tummies, PureBites freeze-dried cat treats are an exceptional choice. The treats can easily be broken into smaller pieces, as they shred just like dry chicken. Since these cat treats are made from one ingredient – chicken – they are grain free, gluten free and packed with natural freshness. We recommend PureBites cat treats for any pet parent who wants to offer their kitty a flavorful, nutritious snack.
- Chicken is the only ingredient
- Freeze-dried to preserve flavor, nutrients and aroma
- Grain and gluten free
- Only 2 calories per treat
- Made and sourced in the USA
- These treats only come in 3 bag sizes, and you may need to purchase several bags if you have a large kitty crew.
- Promotes healthy teeth and gums
- Crunchy consistency and shape to scrape plaque and tartar from teeth
- Fortified with essential vitamins and nutrients to promote well-being
- Less than 2 calories per treat
Runner-Up Best Cat Treats – These Greenies cat treats are purrfect for kitties who could benefit from some additional dental attention. The treats are packed full of flavor and essential nutrients which promote healthy teeth and gums, plus overall well-being. The treats are shaped to gently scrape plaque and tartar from your cat’s teeth, for fresher breath between brushings.
For cats who enjoy a delightful, crunchy treat, Greenies Feline Savory Salmon Flavor Dental Cat Treats have you covered. They are formulated with salmon to enhance taste and chicken to promote a healthy metabolism. Each treat is less than 2 calories, so you can reward your kitty guilt-free. We love that these dental cat treats have been accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council.
- Promote dental health, and accepted by the VOHC
- Less than 2 calories per treat
- Treats are shaped to effectively clean teeth
- Formulated with vitamins and nutrients to promote your cat’s overall health
- Available in other flavors and a variety of package sizes
- These treats are not appropriate for cats under 1 year old.
- Available in several size packages
- Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Formulated with the amino acid taurine to promote well-being
- Under 2 calories per treat
Best Budget-Friendly Cat Treats – Temptations are known as “America’s #1 cat treat,” and it’s no surprise since these snacks are nutritious and delicious. These cost-effective kitty treats are crunchy on the outside but have a soft inside, making them an irresistible option for your feline friend. Temptations cat treats are 100% nutritionally balanced for adult cats. At under 2 calories per treat, you can feel good about rewarding your kitty.
These cat treats promote overall health and well-being with an amino acid called taurine. The pocket shape of the treats plus delectable chicken flavor make for a tasty experience that will leave your kitty purring. Temptations cat treats come in a wide variety of flavors, and there are several bag and tub sizes available. Even if you have a multi-cat household, Temptations crunchy cat treats won’t break the bank.
- Many flavor and package size options available
- Formulated with taurine to promote overall health and well-being
- Crunchy outside texture with a soft inside
- “America’s #1 cat treat”
- Some cat parents have reported that the Temptations tub packaging is weak.
- Real chicken is the first ingredient
- Crunchy bites help remove plaque and tartar from teeth
- Liver and turkey flavors add a delectable taste
Editor’s Pick – Friskies cat treats have been a big hit with felines for many years. Party Mix cat treats offer a crunchy consistency that your kitty will absolutely love. The fun shapes are packed with chicken, live and turkey flavors. Real chicken is the first ingredients of these tasty cat treats, and they are nutritionally balanced to meet the needs of your adult cat.
Each crunchy bite will help remove plaque and tartar from your cat’s delicate teeth. Luckily these Friskies cat treats are extremely affordable, making them a good choice for multi-cat households. You can purchase Party Mix cat treats in a variety of flavors as well as bag or tub sizes.
- Less than 2 calories per treat
- Come in a multitude of flavors
- Crunchy consistency helps clean teeth
- Chicken is the #1 ingredient
- These treats are formulated for adult cats only.
4 More Top Cat Treats
These cat treats are made from 100% chicken breast. They are a high protein snack free of grain and gluten. These low calorie, freeze-dried treats make an excellent reward or food topper to add excitement to meal time. Halo cat treats are highly digestible and easy to crumble or break into smaller pieces. These delicious chicken cat treats only come in two small jar sizes, but they will also make a healthy snack for your canine pals also!
Chicken is the #1 ingredient in these crunchy, delicious cat treats. They are 100% all-natural and grain-free for cats with sensitive stomachs. These wholesome cat treats contain peas, cranberries, chickpeas, blueberries and other ingredients to bring your kitty a scrumptious reward. The shape and consistency of the Wellness Kittles cat treats provide teeth-cleaning properties to give your cat a boost of oral freshness. These cat treats only come in one size bag, but each bag contains over 150 treats.
For kitties who may need a soft treat, we suggest this lickable cat treat from Hartz. The delicious puree is made with real tuna and whitefish to give your cat a flavorful snack. This saucy treat can be given as a reward or mixed in with your cat’s food. The combination of meaty chunks with gravy will surely excite your feline friend. Hartz Delectables are budget-friendly, and they come in a variety of flavors to best suit your cat’s preferences.
These Blue Buffalo cat treats are formulated with protein-rich chicken and turkey without any grains, by-products or additives. With a mere 1.5 calories per treat, these crunchy snacks can be a part of your cat’s balanced nutritional routine. Each tender bite contains a handful of vitamins and minerals to enhance your cat’s overall well-being. Blue Buffalo cat treats are made in the USA with no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How often can I give my cat treats? The general rule set forth by experts is cats should not receive more than 10% of their daily caloric intake from treats. If your kitty is overweight, you will want to offer less treats, or low calorie treats. Cat treats aren’t made with the same balanced nutrition as cat food, so they can be more fattening. Therefore, cat treats should be given in moderation.
- Should you give your cats treats? It’s absolutely fine to give your cats treats, as long as you are not overfeeding them. Cat treats are a phenomenal way to add excitement to your kitty’s day. Your cat deserves to be spoiled, as long as it won’t negatively affect their health.
- Can too many cat treats be harmful? The short answer is yes. The common side effect of too many treats is weight gain, which can cause an innumerable amount of additional health problems. Some cat treats are high in certain ingredients which can also cause constipation. Only feed your cat treats based on the package’s recommendations. Always consult your vet if you have concerns about your cat’s health or diet.
Offering your cat some special treats won’t break the bank, and feeding delightful snacks will encourage your bond. Try stocking up on a few different flavors and varieties so your kitty can experience different tastes and textures. Remember to consult your veterinary for specific questions and concerns regarding your cat’s health.