- What Is The Best Dog Shampoo For Bichon Frise?
- 5 Benefits of Using Dog Shampoo to Bathe Your Bichon Frise
- Tips for Bathing Your Bichon Frise
- 5 Different Types of Bichon Frise Shampoo
- Over Best Shampoo for Bichon Frises in 2022
- 4 More Top Shampoos for a Bichon Frise
Bichons are playful, curious dogs who are known for their plush, velvety coats. To keep their coat looking its best, Bichons need to be brushed a few times a week and bathed about twice a month. The Bichon Frise sheds very little, if at all, but that doesn’t mean their coat isn’t the perfect trap for debris and odor.
Regular baths are crucial for a Bichon’s health. While many pet parents take their Bichon Frise to a professional groomer every month or so, it’s definitely possible to bathe your pup at home. In this guide we’ve used our expertise and extensive research to bring you tips on how to choose the best dog shampoo for your Bichon Frise.
What Is The Best Dog Shampoo For Bichon Frise?
- Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo and Conditioner
- Earthbath 2-in-1 Mango Tango Conditioning Dog Shampoo
- Veterinary Formula Solutions Snow White Whitening Shampoo for Dogs
- Burt’s Bees Puppy 2-in-1 Shampoo
- Zesty Paws Oatmeal Anti-Itch Dog Shampoo
- Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs
- TropiClean Luxury 2-in-1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner
5 Benefits of Using Dog Shampoo to Bathe Your Bichon Frise
Bichons require constant grooming to keep their coats looking bright and healthy. You should always use a dog shampoo to bathe your pup, as human shampoo can dry out and damage their skin. Below we discuss benefits of using a good dog shampoo to bathe your Bichon Frise:
- Clean debris from their fur: A Bichon Frise’s coat tends to be a magnet for debris. It’s important to regular bathe your Bichon with a quality dog shampoo to rid their coat of dirt and bacteria. Leaving debris in your pup’s coat can create knots and cause matting.
- Whiten their coat: If your Bichon Frise has a bright white coat, you can use a whitening shampoo to restore its brilliance. A whitening shampoo will also help clean and remove tear stains, which are incredibly common for the breed.
- Moisturize the skin: A premium dog shampoo will moisturize and hydrate your Bichon’s skin. Dry skin is especially common during the winter, but a good dog shampoo will help restore moisture.
- Relieve itch: Does your Bichon Frise suffer from allergies? Do they have naturally dry, itchy skin? There are shampoos which are made with a blend of ingredients that specifically target itchiness, redness and irritation. Bathing your Bichon will help them feel much better so they don’t keep scratching at their skin.
- Remove odor: Maybe your Bichon just enjoyed a day of playing in the backyard, where they found something smelly to roll in. An obvious benefit of bathing your Bichon Frise with an appropriate dog shampoo is the removable of nasty odors. No more wet dog smell – a quality dog shampoo will leave your pup smelling clean and fresh.
Tips for Bathing Your Bichon Frise
Use the following helpful tips to give your Bichon Frise a successful bath:
- Before putting your Bichon into the bathtub, make sure you brush their coat to remove any knots, mats or tangles in their fur. Bichon Frises have dense coats, and mats will be made worse if not picked out before bath time.
- If you’re using a separate conditioner rather than a 2-in-1 formula, be sure to use it sparingly. Too much conditioner can make your pup’s coat greasy, flakey and heavy.
- Always massage the shampoo deep into your Bichon’s coat. Use your fingertips to gently, but deeply massage the shampoo into your dog’s coat, down to their skin. The undercoat generally holds most of the dirt, so it’s important that you’re getting it cleaned out.
- Use positive reinforcement when bathing your Bichon Frise if they are nervous. Administering treats can help keep your dog focused during bath time, plus it’s a good idea to reward positive behavior.
- Have a warm towel on hand to dry off your Bichon when they get out of the bath. Be sure to thoroughly towel dry them before using a warm blow dryer.
5 Different Types of Bichon Frise Shampoo
There are a handful of effective shampoos that we think are best for bathing your Bichon Frise. We list them below:
- Puppy shampoo: If you have a Bichon Frise puppy, you will most likely want to purchase a shampoo specifically formulated for puppies. Puppy shampoo is typically tearless and extra-gentle.
- 2-in-1 conditioning shampoo: You will definitely want to use conditioner when bathing your Bichon. 2-in-1 formulas have the conditioner built in so you don’t have to worry about spending extra time adding conditioner during bath time.
- Itch relief: If your Bichon Frise suffers from allergies or sensitive skin, we recommend considering a shampoo made to relieve itch and soothe skin. These shampoos are generally made with a blend of oatmeal and aloe vera.
- Whitening shampoo: Many Bichons are white, but their coats can become dingy and adopt a yellowish color. Whitening shampoos restore brightness and shine to your Bichons coat. Just make sure the whitening shampoo you choose doesn’t have any bleach in it!
- Deodorizing shampoo: Bichons can become super stinky if they don’t get regular baths. This breed is adorable and full of personality, but their coat will become smelly if not regularly maintained. Deodorizing shampoo will remove smell from your pup’s coat to make your Bichon cuddleworthy once again.
Now it’s time to check out our favorite Bichon Frise shampoos!
Over Best Shampoo for Bichon Frises in 2022
|Our 2022 Picks: Best Dog Shampoo for a Bichon Frise|
|Buddy Wash Original Lavender & Mint Dog Shampoo And Conditioner
|Earthbath 2-In-1 Mango Tango Conditioning Dog Shampoo
|Veterinary Formula Solutions Snow White Whitening Shampoo For Dogs
|Burt’s Bees Puppy 2-In-1 Shampoo
|Zesty Paws Oatmeal Anti-Itch Dog Shampoo
|Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo For Dogs
|TropiClean Luxury 2-In-1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo And Conditioner
- 2-in-1 conditioning formula
- Wheat protein acts as a natural deodorizer
- Aloe vera helps calm irritated skin
- Alcohol and soap-free
Overall Best Dog Shampoo for a Bichon Frise – This soothing dog shampoo is formulated with a rich blend of cosmetic-grade ingredients to give your Bichon Frise a spa-like bath treatment. Pure botanical extracts and other ingredients such as sage, aloe vera and rosemary act as natural conditioners to soften your Bichon’s fluffy coat. The coconut-based shampoo is soap and alcohol-free so you don’t have to worry about it drying out your pup’s skin.
We like that this Buddy Wash dog shampoo is a 2-in-1 conditioning formula to save you money and an extra step during bath time. The shampoo contains a soothing lavender and mint scent to leave your Bichon smelling delightful. Dog parents report that Buddy Wash lathers easily, which make it easy to massage into the coat of a pup with long or fluffy hair. This high-quality dog shampoo is made cruelty-free in the USA.
- 2-in-1 shampoo + conditioner
- Aloe vera helps soothe irritated skin
- Rosemary, green tea, chamomile and sage act as natural conditioners
- Made in the USA
- Pleasant lavender and mint scent
- While pet parents share that the shampoo does smell nice, the scent is not long-lasting after bath time.
- Conditioning formula helps detangle your Bichon’s coat
- Luscious tropical mango scent
- Suitable for dogs over 6 weeks old
- Paraben and phosphate-free
Runner-Up Best Dog Shampoo for a Bichon Frise – Earthbath dog shampoo will clean and deodorize your Bichon Frise, leaving their coat manageable and smelling of tropical mangos. The 2-in-1 conditioning shampoo will help detangle your Bichon’s coat so it can be restored to its former brilliance. It gets rid of any nasty smells that your pup may have picked up along their adventures, so be ready for a cozy cuddle session after bath time!
Earthbath dog shampoo is appropriate for pups over 6 weeks old. It’s made free of parabens and phosphate to ensure safety and quality. This shampoo is also 100% biodegradable. Even though Bichons have fluffy, beautiful fur, additional conditioner won’t be necessary outside of this Earthbath formula. It contains all of the elements you need to effectively groom your pampered pooch.
- Tropical mango scent
- 2-in-1 shampoo plus conditioner
- Appropriate for dogs over 6 weeks of age
- Helps restore shine and luster to the coat
- Other pet parent testimonials state that the conditioning aspect could be more powerful.
- Cleans dingy and yellowing coats
- Uses optical brighteners rather than bleach or peroxide
- Won’t wash away flea and tick treatments
- Blue coral and citrus fragrance
Best Whitening Shampoo for a Bichon Frise – If you have a bright white Bichon Frise, you may notice it’s hard to keep their coat looking spotless. This whitening shampoo from Veterinary Formula Solutions will clean your Bichon with optical brighteners, vitamin E and green tea extract. The gentle cleanser will remove dinginess and yellow staining from your Bichon Frise when used as directed. The shampoo is pH balanced for all of your dog’s needs, and it won’t wash off topical flea and tick treatment.
This whitening shampoo is made in the USA and doesn’t contain any bleach or peroxide. Don’t worry if your Bichon has black or other colored patches of fur – this shampoo won’t fade the color. Other dog parents share that the scent of this dog shampoo is pleasant and fairly long lasting. Unfortunately this is not a 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner, so you will need to make an additional purchase if you want to condition your dog’s fur.
- Formulated to brighten your dog’s white coat
- Safe for use on topical flea and tick treatments
- Pleasant citrus scent
- Won’t fade colored fur
- Conditioner is sold separately.
4 More Top Shampoos for a Bichon Frise
For those feisty Bichon puppies, we suggest trying out Burt’s Bees puppy shampoo. This tearless formula is made with 97% natural ingredients to ensure a safe, relaxing bath. Buttermilk and linseed oil work together to soften and condition your puppy’s coat. Burt’s Bees puppy shampoo doesn’t contain any sulfates or colorants. It’s also pH balanced specifically for puppies and made cruelty-free in the USA.
Zesty Paws anti-itch dog shampoo will be great for your Bichon Frise if they are struggling with itchy, irritated skin. It’s formulated with several soothing ingredients such as oatmeal, aloe vera, vitamin E, quinoa and almond extract. Oatmeal works to relieve itching, then leaves a moist protective layer on your pup’s skin to continuously nourish it. Vitamins E and C neutralize hot spots, while aloe vera contains antifungal and antibacterial properties to soothe affected skin. Zesty Paws anti-itch dog shampoo boasts a light vanilla scent. Since this isn’t a 2-in-1 formula, you will need to purchase the conditioner to use in conjunction with this shampoo.
It’s painful to watch our dogs struggling with allergies, but can you imagine how difficult it is for them? Give your Bichon Frise relief from their allergies with Vet’s Best dog shampoo. If your pup is suffering from terribly dry and itchy skin, we recommend giving this shampoo a try. It’s made with a blend of essential oils and ingredients such as oatmeal and tea tree oil to calm and hydrate your dog’s skin. This shampoo won’t wash off topical flea and tick treatments, and it can be used as often as you deem necessary to bring your pup relief.
To give your Bichon Frise a spa-like experience with a tropical twist, we suggest this TropiClean luxury 2-in-1 shampoo. The shampoo can be generously lathered to clean deep down into your Bichon’s coat, replenishing moisture to their skin and shine to their fur. Coconut oil will clean dirt and oils out of your pup’s coat while botanical conditioners detangle the fur. This shampoo is great for multi-pet households since it’s gentle enough to use on cats as well.
- How often should I bathe my Bichon Frise? Due to the type of coat that Bichons have, it’s standard to bathe them every two weeks or so. Of course it’s okay to give them an extra bath if they’ve gotten themselves into something messy or stinky!
- How do I clean my Bichon Frise’s tear stains? Regular baths can help with tear stains, as well as using a warm, damp wash cloth daily. You can also purchase formulas that help clean and remove tear stains. Just make sure that you don’t get shampoo in your Bichon’s eyes when giving them a bath.
- How do I make my Bichon’s coat fluffy after a bath? To get that fluffy look that Bichon’s are known for, you will need to blow out their hair after bath time. This requires using an appropriate blow dryer for dogs while brushing their hair. If you don’t have the necessary tools, you may want to take your pup to a professional groomer. Dogs can easily overheat from a blow dryer if used on an improper setting.
The Bichon Frise has a distinctive look that requires regular maintenance. This breed should be brushed a few times a week and bathed about twice a month. The dog shampoos on our list are reliable and trustworthy, and each of them will be a quality choice if you decide to bathe your Bichon at home.